mrs1044 lost software

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
anthony 1044
new to this board
new to this board

mrs1044 lost software

Post by anthony 1044 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 pm

hi, 1st post ive done so please forgive anything i do wrong,,, ive got a mrs1044 that ive formated the hard drive (by mistake), on boot up the message sysfile not found comes up, on booting in the rom uty mode it only gives me option to format?. cant exit from this and the only thing i can do is switch off. the 1044 has no cd drive or usb, does anyone know where i can get the operating system from to re-install to my drive. thanks.
0 x

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Re: mrs1044 lost software

Post by Unstablxxx » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:23 pm

Hey Anthony... I'm no expert on the 1044, but it would seem that you'd
need some sort of way to get the operating system onto the unit. I can't
think of any way besides the two you mentioned.

The only solution I can offer is to get your hands on a cd-drive and install
it. Even if you borrow one from somewhere else. And then you'd need the
CD, which you can get here:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/ ... rs1044.php

Good luck,

Mike
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:25 pm

sorry, forgot to address when I was here last.
Unstablxxx wrote:The only solution I can offer is to get your hands on a cd-drive and install
it
some models of the 1044 do not have spot for the CD, at least not an opening in the casing for it.
if that's the version he has, he'll need to pull the drive and format it with FAT32 and drop the system files on it.
re-install the drive and see if that works.
I'm not sure if the download from the Zoom site is the full system or just an update to the main file.
but try it, or contact Zoom directly for the factory CD.
copy the system files for the 1044 from the factory CD, re-install it see if that works if the download doesn't.

other option is to open the case and connect a CD or DVD drive to it (probably needs to be set as 'Slave') and leave the drive outside the while setting up the system.
steps for this are the ones used for the Factory Recovery on page 30 of the v2 or supplemental manual.
The command to select 'FacRcvr' then 'All Init'

to hook up a CD or DVD drive you will possibly need an IDE ribbon cable with 3 connectors on it and 4-pin power splitter and 4-pin extension (or a second splitter to get the length needed) for the power.
CD or DVD drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... toreType=1
IDE ribbon cable with 3 connectors:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812381004
4-pin power splitter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812530006

take a look at the Hard Drive Replacement guide in the MRS FAQ section.
The 1044 is different inside, but it will give you a clus to what you up against.
also look throught the IDE-to-CompactFlash conversion for how to format the drive.
Chisel converted his friend's 1044 to Compact Flash and the 1044 might only need 1 artition instead of the two used in the MRS-1608 and 802 series.
MRS FAQ
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6978
0 x

anthony 1044
new to this board
new to this board

Post by anthony 1044 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:00 am

hi guys, thank you for your replys,, ive downloaded the software from the zoom site pulled my hhdd from the unit conected usb to ide from my pc, the files from the zoom site went on no prob but the files are only a software update, not the os, without the os installed the update dosnt do a thing, still got sysfile error, what i really need is the complete os on cd so i can install from my pc (windows xp) using usb to ide. im i.t. dumb so any conversion is far beond me, i kind of inherited the 1044, and no nothing about it (hense the accidental format). you mention the 1044 is fat 32 should my pc recognise this? the 1044 hhdd was formated in the 1044. ..thanks again for your replys. tony.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:37 am

yeah, it just the SYSTEM.ZEX file.
you probably need to contact Zoom directly and see if they'll send you a Fctory CD to set the drive with.
info@zoom.co.jp
anthony 1044 wrote:you mention the 1044 is fat 32 should my pc recognise this?
yes.
you connected it to your PC with an IDE-to-USB adapter, correct?
once it's connected, you can open 'My Computer' (I'm assuming you're using Windows) and right click on that drive.
select 'PROPERTIES' at the bottom of the pop-up menu.
It should open up a box, look for 'File System'.
it should say 'FAT32'.
if you do this on your 'C' drive it will say 'NTFS'.

so you copied the SYSTEM.ZEX file onto the drive, correct?
then re-installed the drive and got the error?
sounds like you'll need the CD with full set of files on it to copy to the hard drive.
or you need someone with a 1044 to copy the set of files from their drive and give it to you to copy to your drive.
try Zoom, I seem to remember someone not too long ago managed to get a CD from them for their MRS, not sure which one though.
you might try doing a search going through the older posts and see if it was for a 1044, if it was they might get the files to you if contacting Zoom fails.

good luck!
0 x

anthony 1044
new to this board
new to this board

Post by anthony 1044 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:58 am

thank you lucus, ive just got off the phone to japan, there going to send me a factory recovery disc, will this be enough to install all the operating system,? there was a language confusion so i e-mailed them also,(just to be on the safe side) you would think they would put the os on there website as they send them out for free anyway. now ive just got to wait to see if it turns up (hopefully in one peice). it would be so much easier just to be able to download it, do you have a 1044? ive never used one but from what i can gather from reading some of the posts there not bad machines, shame about no cd or usb, thanks again lucus, tony.
0 x

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:59 am

I didn't realize that the 1044 had no bay for a drive. That's odd.

Yes, Anthony, the 1044 (like all the Zoom recorders) is a good
unit that can give you great results. I hope you get it running.

Mike
0 x
Mike
-
-
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:29 am

anthony 1044 wrote:do you have a 1044?
no, I have an MRS-1608CD
But the 1044 version has had many happy users.
anthony 1044 wrote:ive just got off the phone to japan, there going to send me a factory recovery disc
that's great!
The CD will contain the all the system files.

Here is what I gleaned from From Chisel's notes about manually installing the system on the drive for his 1044 Compact Flash conversion.
I removed anything to do with the CF conversion, but the manual formatting and set up of the card under XP should be the same for an actual hard drive.

Remain patient during the entire process, if you feel frustrated at any point and can take a break, do so.
get a drink or some food or stretch.

It's best to actually connect the hard drive directly to the motherboard, but try the IDE-to-USB adapter first as it's probably easier for you to deal with at this stage.
NOTE: The 1044 non-CD only uses a Song data disk (this means the hard drive has only one partition.

FILE SYSTEM TYPE: FAT32 with default unit/sector size
NAME: Do NOT give the disk a "name"!...leave it BLANK.

once the hard drive is formatted (yours may already be formatted, but try reformatting if it doesn't work)
1) Copy the four system files into the hard drive root directory
e.g. 'F:\' if your hard drive shows up in My Computer as 'F'.
'root' simply means double click the drive letter and place the files there, so they're the first thing you see when open the drive.
(Files are: CURSNGNO.INI, PATCH.DAT, RHYTHM.SEQ, SYSTEM.ZEX)
look for these files on the factory CD.

2) Copy the PROJ000 folder into the hard drive root directory.

3) Reinstall the drive in the 1044.

4) Power ON.

oh look, there's mike, dammit, must be time for bed
0 x

anthony 1044
new to this board
new to this board

Post by anthony 1044 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:42 am

thank you lucus and mike, i will try to transfer the files using usb to ide, if this doesnt work ill go into the computer and try conecting straight to the mother board, i cant beleive i cant get hold of a disc in the uk, ????? tony.
0 x

anthony 1044
new to this board
new to this board

Post by anthony 1044 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:44 am

his guys, just a quick note to let you now whats going on, i received the disc from japan, full os for free, the 1044 went to a zoom engineer here in the uk, he installed the software to find my hard drive to be faulty, new 80gig hard drive went in and unit is now working like a dream, loads more record time with the 80gig drive. ive also been informed i can conect the unit to my pc via the rca outputs to my soundcard, will this work so i can burn my projects to cd? thank you all again for your support and advice and if anyone knows if the rca route works please let me know, cheers all, tony.
0 x

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Hey Tony, that's great. Glad you were able to resurrect it!

Yes, you can connect your MRS to a PC that way, however,
the information will be converted to analog then back to digital
again, with resultant loss of clarity. If it's not a serious project
you're working on, it'll be fine, but if you're serious about the
quality, then you'll probably be disappointed.

Mike
0 x
Mike
-
-
-
-

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 am

very cool!
before you get working on it again you might want to consider doing the hard drive to Compact Flash card conversion I mentioned above.
here is a 1044 with CF drive installed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peedub/set ... 33/detail/

there are more detailed notes in the MRS FAQ section if you are interested.
with less than $50 worth of parts you can chane your hard drive to a compact flash card which can be removed and put in a card reader on your computer.
this will allow you to copy the projects to you PC or CDs for backup as well as giving you a better way to convert the project tracks or Master mix into WAV or AIFF for mixing on the computer or just burning the mast mixes to CDs using the Zoom Audio File Manager.

Also, you can use Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis' True Image to create an image of your new drive for recovery purposes should you need to replace the drive again.

your other options are to get a UIB-02 USB interface to connect the 1044 to a computer as an external drive.
like this one for $199.00:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0417401334

or else pull your hard drive from the 1044 and connect it to your comptuer with an IDE-to-USB adapter or external drive case like these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817182154
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817145132
use one to transfer the files then re-install the drive back in the 1044
0 x

creading001
new to this board
new to this board

Post by creading001 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:19 am

Hi,

I also need an MRS-1044 factory CD. Could somebody be so good as to upload it somewhere or email the core files in a ZIP to me at: craig.reading1@googlemail.com

Many Thanks
Craig
0 x

mrtalented
new to this board
new to this board

Post by mrtalented » Thu May 02, 2013 12:05 am

hi...im new to this forum...i have a recovery cd of zoom mrs 1044..if you need on i can send you a copy just email me to my email account of just private message me here....or you can call me guys +639162316653....i already have the mrs 1044 recorder and accidentally i formated the hard disk,so its hard for me to find a solution,i already send it to the service center here in the philippines but they didnt fix it..so ive waited a long time,then when i have a gig in japan the other reson why im in japan is to find ZOOM co.and i avail fore the CD RECOVERY of ZOOM MRS 1044...so when i get back here in the philippines i try to fix it and i did it..........so my mrs 1044 is working right now......every one has need the cd feel free to contact me...thanks guys...
0 x