Importing Drum Patterns

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
hwnjoe
new to this board
new to this board

Importing Drum Patterns

Post by hwnjoe » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Hey Everyone,

I am not sure if they has been discussed yet or not, I have not seen anything on this topic, sorry in advance if it has been covered.

What I want to know is it possible to use like Midi drum kit and import the drum patterns/song into the MRS802b, via the CD.\

Thanks in Advance.
0 x
-Joe Rawker

Gear & Rig - Ibanez RG-470, Washburn WR-150 Pro, Peavey Predator, Nady RW-1, Digitech DHP-55, Digitech GSP7, Digitech GSP21 Legend v1.01u, Digitech GSP21 Legend v2.01, Digitech GFX-1 Twin Tube, Digitech DSP256, DOD SR431, DOD R-825, B-52 LS100, Raven Classic 4x12.

Studio - DOD 822RM Mixer, TSR-24S, DOD SR-430QX, DOD 866 Seriers II Compressor/Limiter, ZOOM MRS-802B/CD

codekiddie

Re: Importing Drum Patterns

Post by codekiddie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:39 am

hwnjoe wrote:Hey Everyone,

I am not sure if they has been discussed yet or not, I have not seen anything on this topic, sorry in advance if it has been covered.

What I want to know is it possible to use like Midi drum kit and import the drum patterns/song into the MRS802b, via the CD.\

Thanks in Advance.
Hi Joe.

I am currently looking into how to achieve this for the MRS-8 and MRS-1608 recorders for Lucas, and the MRS-1044 for myself. Since the MRS-802 has the same format for projects, (PROJxxx folder for each project with RHYTHM.SEQ file used for rhythm pattern and rhythm song data), it should work for your recorder too.

Don't hold your breath though as it is a rather steep learning curve for me and could take some time.

If you don't mind paying, members Armin and Zoomermo already have software that supposedly converts the Zoom data to Midi.

Just like the Zoom->WAV converter I wrote I would supply it free of charge but as I said it may take a while to write.

Hope this helps.
0 x

hwnjoe
new to this board
new to this board

Post by hwnjoe » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Well, I have a program called Guitar Pro 5, it allows all the instruments in the band to be tabed into tabulature, including the drums, also allows MIDI Exporting of the drums, I want to be able to Import the Midi in Zoom Rhythm pattern editor and the uplaod it to the Zoom.
0 x
-Joe Rawker

Gear & Rig - Ibanez RG-470, Washburn WR-150 Pro, Peavey Predator, Nady RW-1, Digitech DHP-55, Digitech GSP7, Digitech GSP21 Legend v1.01u, Digitech GSP21 Legend v2.01, Digitech GFX-1 Twin Tube, Digitech DSP256, DOD SR431, DOD R-825, B-52 LS100, Raven Classic 4x12.

Studio - DOD 822RM Mixer, TSR-24S, DOD SR-430QX, DOD 866 Seriers II Compressor/Limiter, ZOOM MRS-802B/CD

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 am

hwnjoe wrote:I want to be able to Import the Midi in Zoom Rhythm pattern editor and the uplaod it to the Zoom.
Are you still after a Midi->Zoom rhythm pattern converter? I have been playing around with this and now have some software to convert songs in the RHYTHM.SEQ file into a Midi song file. :type:

I am hoping that the reverse will be easier to write, since I now have some knowledge of the Zoom data, but it will be a little trickier, since a Zoom song is made up of different patterns knitted together in the right order, so breaking a Midi file into sensible patterns could be a fun challenge :nuts:

It may be that I just have to divide it up into pre-set pattern lengths, and simply join these patterns together to create the Zoom song.

Let me know if you, (or anyone else reading this), are still interested.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:57 am

you know I'm interested! :)
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:37 am

lucas wrote:you know I'm interested! :)
But Lucas, I thought you wanted what I have already written, i.e. to get from the Zoom RHYTHM.SEQ file to a Midi file???

I did e-mail you some converted files, and the first Beta version of the software :type: but have not heard back yet.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:12 pm

you did?!
sorry, been a little busy, will check that mailbox and let you know if I didn't receive it for some reason.
If it's there I won't be able to get to it for a few days due to work.
sorry for the delay. :oops:
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:25 pm

I'll check it out, codie...always up for some new beta testing. Gonna need a bit of a walk through to get me in the door as to what we are doing here exactly as I'm outa the loop on this one. :?
Last edited by surfercook on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:45 pm

got the files!
unfortunately, I will be unable to check them out for a couple of days as I mentioned earlier.
awesome PDF instructions, you rock hard! :D
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:16 am

surfercook wrote:I'll check it out, codie...always up for some new beta testing. Gonna need a bit of a walk through to get me in the door as to what we are doing here exactly as I'm outa the loop on this one. :?
Surfercook, me old Beta tester mate :nuts:

This time we have a RHYTHM.SEQ -> Midi converter program.

It allows the drum and bass song of an MRS recorder to be converted to Midi. I am also going to work on the opposite, i.e. Midi -> RHYTHM.SEQ so watch this space.

I have uploaded the current version and help file to:

Rhythm_Convert.zip

Have a look at the help file to get going, but it is fairly straightforward, tell the program where the .SEQ file is and where to save the Midi file etc...

Good luck, and let me know if it works or sounds wrong!!! :whistle:
lucas wrote:got the files!
unfortunately, I will be unable to check them out for a couple of days as I mentioned earlier.
awesome PDF instructions, you rock hard! :D
No problem Lucas, just let me know when you get the time. :P
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:41 pm

codekiddie wrote:This time we have a RHYTHM.SEQ -> Midi converter program.
It allows the drum and bass song of an MRS recorder to be converted to Midi. I am also going to work on the opposite, i.e. Midi -> RHYTHM.SEQ so watch this space.
Thanx for gettin me on board, codie. So this utility/software will allow me to export a drum/and or bass track from the MRS to a midi file?. Which in turn I could dump into say EZ Drummer and get a better sounding drum track. Sounds awesome. A great reason to get back into programming a drum track w/the MRS.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:44 pm

surfercook wrote:
codekiddie wrote:This time we have a RHYTHM.SEQ -> Midi converter program.
Thanx for gettin me on board, codie. So this utility/software will allow me to export a drum/and or bass track from the MRS to a midi file?. Which in turn I could dump into say EZ Drummer and get a better sounding drum track. Sounds awesome. A great reason to get back into programming a drum track w/the MRS.
Got it in one my friend, and when I have finished the reverse (Midi->SEQ and yes I am working on it right now) then you can have the best of both worlds. :type: :type: :type:
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Gave it a go. I sooo don't know midi mapping. I used a RHYTHM.SEQ that I had on my PC in a backup folder. Then converted it in two separate instances. One for the bass only and one for the drums only. Then loaded each one into their own tracks(in Reaper) w/the respective vsti's.
The bass didn't sound right at all w/an electric bass off Inde Free. It was like half muffled bass notes and half good bass notes. :? So I tried one w/Kontakt Factory Selection and it worked great..amazing results. :guitar:
The drum track sounded awesome w/an EZ kit loaded first try...just so perfect. :drum: :D
Then I converted all the audio tracks w/your other converter and tossed em in...Everything is syncing up ok.
Good work over there, codiePhil!
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:54 am

surfercook wrote:Gave it a go. I sooo don't know midi mapping. I used a RHYTHM.SEQ that I had on my PC in a backup folder. Then converted it in two separate instances. One for the bass only and one for the drums only. Then loaded each one into their own tracks(in Reaper) w/the respective vsti's.
The bass didn't sound right at all w/an electric bass off Inde Free. It was like half muffled bass notes and half good bass notes. :? So I tried one w/Kontakt Factory Selection and it worked great..amazing results. :guitar:
Not sure what you are doing in Reaper, as I don't know enough about it yet. Is it that you can load different Bass sounds for the Midi file to map to, and the Inde Free one was no good, but the Kontact Factory one was? Does this mean you used both with the same Midi file produced from my program? If so then the program is OK, yes???
surfercook wrote: The drum track sounded awesome w/an EZ kit loaded first try...just so perfect. :drum: :D
Excellent!!! :drum:
surfercook wrote:Then I converted all the audio tracks w/your other converter and tossed em in...Everything is syncing up ok.
Good work over there, codiePhil!
Trust you to go the whole way and convert everything!!! It should all sync up with the files produced with the audio converter, unless you have post processed them and added anything at the beginning of course.

As ever, thanks for the testing surfercook.
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:24 am

codekiddie wrote:Not sure what you are doing in Reaper,
Reaper is an amazing DAW, Sir PaulieCode! Well worth your time to check it out. I have been using it for so long now it would break my :heart: to switch.
codekiddie wrote:Is it that you can load different Bass sounds for the Midi file to map to, and the Inde Free one was no good, but the Kontact Factory one was?
Got it in one my friend! Just "Load vsti in new track" and start tossing different instruments in until you like what you hear. vsti's are an amazing feature in our modern tech REC world.
codekiddie wrote:As ever, thanks for the testing surfercook.
This one went way quicker than the first converter. As always...thanx to you for more great software.
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:06 am

The latest version of the Rhythm Converter program is now ready to download at:

Rhythm_Convert.zip

This version now has the ability to convert in BOTH directions, i.e. RHYTHM.SEQ -> Midi and Midi->RHYTHM.SEQ. As ever any testing and comments would be much appreciated, (I know I will get a reply from Surfercook, cos he just loves Beta testing my software). :nuts:
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:49 pm

codekiddie wrote:I know I will get a reply from Surfercook, cos he just loves Beta testing my software
I do want to give the new software a test run, codie. Been way biz w/work and surfing lately. Might take me a few days. But I'm here for you man :!: :lol:
0 x