MRS-1608, anybody out there?

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
Wolf Johnston
new to this board
new to this board

MRS-1608, anybody out there?

Post by Wolf Johnston » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:02 am

Hi,
I started to work with an old MRS-1608. Things work good so far but I have a few Questions. So if there is anybody out there who worked or still works with that recorder too I would like to get in touch to chat a little bit. Thanks talk to you later.
0 x

mcdookus
new to this board
new to this board

Re: MRS-1608, anybody out there?

Post by mcdookus » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:01 am

I use it. I'm no expert. I don't use the sampler, phraser or bass section but I'd be happy to give you my 2 penny's worth. Email is Luke jones 3 3 @ h o t m a i l d o t c o m
0 x

Died Young
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Died Young » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 am

Hello. I picked up an MRS1608cd on Ebay autumn last year for £180, no manual or backup software just unit, power supply in a Hi-Fi Box well packed. I downloaded and printed all 223 pages or the manual and put in a folder so I refer to that from time to time, I did have the intention of reading it cover to cover as I usually do (MRS4 BossMicro BR) But didn't get round to it.
I am no expert but have used it a fair bit, I don't use the sampler or much of what I consider 'extended functions' I use it mainly to record Guitars, Bass and Vocals and also drum arrangements with the built in rhythm section. I tried last night how to control effect parameters / wah etc with an expression pedal but can't find the pedal assign function. I just read on here its on page 193 so I will be looking in a minute but I just saw your post and thought I would say, yes, there is still someone else using this unit ! :yes: :D I'm sure there are others too just most people have moved on. Neil
0 x

1ManBand
Jedi
Jedi

Post by 1ManBand » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:30 pm

0 x
1ManBand
Zoom HD8, Zoom MRS 1608 (mostly a dead Zombie), Washburn WI14 guitar, Yamaha RBX374 Bass Guitar, Yamaha Fretless Bass guitar from Allan, Yamaha psrE413 Keyboard, Casio old keyboard, Dixon Sax, Tambourine, Shure PG58 mic.
My music turns around this...http://soundcloud.com/1manband-1/g-n-rations

Cheryl30*
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Cheryl30* » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:31 am

I just bought one a couple of days ago and I've been glued to it! Love it so far. I think it is an amazing little machine and I can't wait to see what I can do with it. :-)
0 x

Died Young
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Died Young » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:40 pm

8) Yes it is a great machine ... And 1manband nothing wring with R2D2, can teach those young bots a thing or two :lol:
One mistake I have to admit to though, I got my MRS16 and just loved it and I recorded an entire album using preset effects... now when I listen I am not liking the digital harshness, in places on some songs. I did use some of my pedals (Boss Metal Zone and Marshall Jackhammer as well as Morley Classic Wah, which technically isn't an effect pedal its a Wah, but hey...) But yeah I used alot of preset insert effects for guitars vocals bass, mastering and the album just a bit too harsh sounding so, BEWARE !!! its actually just on the guitar tracks that I'm not happy with, and the 'Live' mastering patch maybe contributing to the harshness so I will be re-recording some parts and re-mastering soon ! a bit obvious really but yeah, use stompboxes, stand alone effects are best ! http://www.reverbnation/theWLL
I found how to assign expression pedal to control Wah. Press Dist. then edit then find the effect selection header (Chorus, Phaser, Cry, Ring mod etc) then use the wheel (.) or the < cursors > to scroll to Wah and use the up ^ or down v cursor to get to the mode option and again use your <cursor> or wheel (.) to select pedal as mode and then your sorted.
PS if like me you can't afford the fp01 or fp02, on hEbay you can get a Daphon or similar cheap volume pedal which has two channels and a stereo(x1jack) to mono cable(x2jacks) for around half the price and all you do is connect the red mono jack to the input on channel 1 and white / black jack to output on channel 1 and plug the stereo end into the expression pedal input on front panel and you have a expression pedal. Check out 505 central if you haven't already...
Happy zooming ! and anyone can say whatever they like about the MRS1608, I went from cassetes on a tape deck to a PC with Cubase (Poor spec PC, enough said...) then to an MRS4b (with RT123 on aux / midi) then a Boss Micro BR (original 4 track model) and now I am using the MRS16. I could get a better PC and a USB mixer and use Cubase VST or get one of the many floor processors with Cubase LE and USB interface or get a Mac or get an R8 or get a HD16 or whatever its called, but, I like the MRS recorders and particularly the MRS1608cd that I got !
Give R2D2 an RG see what he does ... .
Gotta go practice scales now been typing too long....
Bye :guitar: :arrow: :oops: :x :roll: :heart: :? 8) :) :D
((((((MRS1608))))))
0 x

goatboy
new to this board
new to this board

Post by goatboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:24 pm

i need help! i use an alesis drum machine rather that the internal drums in the zoom, which is good but the zoom does not pick up the left and right panning from the alesis. If i pan the alesis drums to the left its loud, but to the right nothing is heard.
I end up keeping all drums central which is no godd for a nice drum roll or fill.
Is there any option on the Zoom 1608 i havent seen?
Any help please...
0 x

liam
new to this board
new to this board

Post by liam » Sun May 12, 2013 5:33 pm

goatboy wrote:i need help! i use an alesis drum machine rather that the internal drums in the zoom, which is good but the zoom does not pick up the left and right panning from the alesis. If i pan the alesis drums to the left its loud, but to the right nothing is heard.
I end up keeping all drums central which is no godd for a nice drum roll or fill.
Is there any option on the Zoom 1608 i havent seen?
Any help please...
Are you recording Alesis to a pair of stereo tracks? If so try 2 mono tracks for separate panning.
0 x

Jon_wood_uk
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Jon_wood_uk » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:05 pm

I've been using the MRS-1608 for only a couple of months (bought an old one on eBay) and really pleased with it, it is a great machine. I've recently been trying to do some accurate track cut and paste using markers but it is mighty tricky to get spot on. Has anyone got a technique they use to ensure spot-on timing accuracy?
Cheers Jon
0 x

rabbm
new to this board
new to this board

Post by rabbm » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Reading this review http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/a ... rs1608.htm it certainly looks a great machine.
I especially like the sound of the Harmony effect for vocals. I wish i had waited another year and got that but it didnt occur to me back then.

I am starting to grow out of my MRS 1266 but have 100+ full songs on it since '04 and dont want to leave them on a box.
0 x