Zoom MRS-802 and Digital Piano

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
vinni
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom MRS-802 and Digital Piano

Post by vinni » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:26 am

I have a Casio PX750 digital piano and it makes a fuzzy/distorted sound when conneced to and listened through my Zoom. Guitars are fine when connected so I'm obviously confused. It uses the usual phone jack connections.

Can anyone help ?
0 x

codekiddie

Re: Zoom MRS-802 and Digital Piano

Post by codekiddie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:14 am

vinni wrote:I have a Casio PX750 digital piano and it makes a fuzzy/distorted sound when conneced to and listened through my Zoom. Guitars are fine when connected so I'm obviously confused. It uses the usual phone jack connections.

Can anyone help ?
What inputs are you using for the piano on the MRS-802? You should use the balanced/unbalanced inputs for the keyboard, as when using the Guitar/Bass input, the gain is too high and will result in distortion. :shock:
0 x

vinni
new to this board
new to this board

Post by vinni » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks for reply. Yeah I've tried both. Could it possibly being a voltage thing ?
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:11 am

vinni wrote:Thanks for reply. Yeah I've tried both. Could it possibly being a voltage thing ?
What adjustments have you tried on the volume and recording levels? To stop any distortion of my setup when I use my keyboard, the volume control on the keyboard itself is always set to between a quarter and halfway, the two input levels on the recorder set to midway, and the recording level set between half and three-quarters.

Can I assume that if you connect your keyboard to an amplifier or headphones, using the same connection on the piano, that it does not sound distorted? If it does then reduce the volume level on the piano until it sounds clear.

Are either of the 'Peak' LED indicators of 'INPUT1' and 'INPUT2' lighting up whilst playing the piano? If so then adjust the input control levels until they do not. Similarly, if the 'Clip' LED of the 'REC LEVEL' lights up during playing then adjust it until it does not.

Other than that you might want to try another lead, in case there is a fault in the one you have :?

Let me know what you find.
0 x

vinni
new to this board
new to this board

Post by vinni » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Hey mate, Yeah I do get good quality sound when I'm just listening through the headphones directly connected to the keyboard.

I've tried adjusting levels etc, It does help a little but still get what I would describe as a mono and noisy type sound. I tried a better quality lead too but still the same.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Have you tried adjusting the TRIM control?

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:26 am

vinni wrote:Hey mate, Yeah I do get good quality sound when I'm just listening through the headphones directly connected to the keyboard.

I've tried adjusting levels etc, It does help a little but still get what I would describe as a mono and noisy type sound. I tried a better quality lead too but still the same.
I'm a bit confused as to why you might be getting a mono sound. The lead you should be using should look something like this:

The plug with three connections should go into the piano in either of the 'Phones' jacks, and the other two into the two MRS-802 balance/unbalance inputs.

Also, to get Stereo when recording the piano, both INPUT1 and INPUT2 keys need to be lit, and a channel pair selected for recording. You must select channels 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 or 7/8 as a pair to record to. Press the Status keys above the faders until they are both red. On my MRS-1044 I have to press and hold the first channel status key, and then press the second key to make them both light up red.

Also make sure that there are no 'Insert Effects' in use on the channels you are recording on, so nothing is modifying the signal. Press the 'INPUT SOURCE' button and make sure that 'IN' or the channels you are using are NOT selected. I tend to select 'DRUM' to make sure the effects are off for recording instruments.
voclizr wrote:Have you tried adjusting the TRIM control?

The only 'Trim control' I can see in the manual, is to do with deleting part of a track. What 'TRIM control' are you referring to? :?
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 pm

The 2 knobs in the upper left are the Trim controls, although they are not labeled as such. They are labeled INPUT. You have one for each input. I don't remember anymore which is which, but turning it full one way is for mic input and turning it full the other way is for a line input. You adjust them in between to "fine tune" or tweak for the best response. Try it.

0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

vinni
new to this board
new to this board

Post by vinni » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:09 pm

Hey Codekidie,

Sorry for the late reply mate. Turns out I was using the wrong lead :) (mono-mono) It's taken me a while to get hold of the correct one.

Anyway It's all sorted and sounds great. Thanks so much for your help !
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:39 am

vinni wrote:Hey Codekidie,

Sorry for the late reply mate. Turns out I was using the wrong lead :) (mono-mono) It's taken me a while to get hold of the correct one.

Anyway It's all sorted and sounds great. Thanks so much for your help !
Excellent. Maybe we will hear some songs from you soon :D
0 x