MRS8 - which track?

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
brandon
dues paid
dues paid

MRS8 - which track?

Post by brandon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:03 pm

Just a quickie - I want to record through external mic and a gyuitar at same time. I must have missed something fundamental here but which track wil lbe assigned to guitar and which to mic or do i have to do somethign manually? Many thanks
0 x

codekiddie

Re: MRS8 - which track?

Post by codekiddie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:34 am

Hi.

I don't have the MRS-8 myself, but on the MRS-1044 if an input is set for recording it will go to whichever track is selected for recording.

If a single input is used to record on either a Mono track OR a Stereo track, it will be recorded as a Mono track OR both left and right of the Stereo track (sound like Mono).

Normally, if you use two inputs, (guitar AND a mic), then on the MRS-1044 they will BOTH be recorded onto the selected Mono track, or one on the left, and one on the right of a Stereo track.

HOWEVER!!!

Another feature of the MRS-1044, (but this is where I am unsure about the MRS-8), is that two Mono tracks may be selected for recording at one time, in which case the guitar would be directed to one track, and the Mic to the other track.

The way to select two Mono tracks for recording, (on the MRS-1044 at least), is to press and hold the first track status key to set it to record (red), then whilst holding it down press the status key of the second track to set it to record also, so you end up with two status keys lit red. Now the guitar will go to one track, and the Mic to the second track.

Hope that doesn't sound too confusing :? :? :?

Good luck

Phil
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:51 am

Just been reading the MRS-8 manual, and on page 23 it does say that two mono tracks may be selected in the same way as the MRS-1044 :clap: :clap: :clap:

One thing to note is that they must be an odd/even numbered pair (1/2 or 3/4), so you cant pick track 1 and 3 for example. It is the same as the MRS-1044, but forgot to add that :whistle:
0 x

brandon
dues paid
dues paid

Post by brandon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks will try that.I noticed page 23 after you mentioned it - very odd that that seems the only reference to two track recording when it is one of the selling points of the machine! :-)
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 pm

The MRS-8 will record to two mono tracks (1-4) or one stereo track with input 1 directed to odd (1, 3, 5, 7 & 9) tracks while input 2 is directed to the even (2, 4, 6, 8 & 10) tracks. Yes, 9 & 10 are the master tracks and you can record to them!

The bad news is both the built-in condenser microphone and high impedance (Hi-Z) switch selection are part of input 1 so you can't use the microphone and guitars or basses with passive electronics (no battery boost in the instrument) at the same time.
0 x