Please help - files turned into applications

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
Rebeccac
new to this board
new to this board

Please help - files turned into applications

Post by Rebeccac » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi I had about 15 songs recorded which I tried to put onto my computer - my Mac doesn't have a slot for the memory card so I put it into my old laptop. As soon as I did this all the files but one have somehow been turned into applications. I can no longer see them through the card reader or on the actual machine and was wondering if someone knew a way to convert them back to their original format so they can be used/heard again. Thanks :)
Bec
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Please help - files turned into applications

Post by lucas » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi, you'll need to post the following for someone to be able to help:
- what O/S is your laptop running? (Mac version or Windows version, etc.)
- What Zoom recorder are you using? the model number is needed.
- if it a windows laptop, what is the 3-letter extension given to the files? ('.exe' '.zip' '.cmd' '.bat' and so forth)

Things to try in the meantime:
- make sure your laptop is not infected with a virus or malware or other bad PC thingies.
- again, if this is a Windows laptop and you have zipping program installed (WinZip, WnRAR, 7-Zip) try right clicking and unzipping the file to a folder.
0 x

Rebeccac
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Rebeccac » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:42 am

Hi - hopefully this helps :)
-OS mac (now) the laptop i put the memory card into was a PC (no SD slot in my current comp)
-Zoom-mrs 8

- yes it probably has viruses - i stopped using it because it seemed to and shouldn't have put it in this computer I'm just wondering if I can rectify the situation. It no longer works on the actual zoom machine either. All the files are still visible if i click on "my computer" as opposed to viewing through the card reader software but as the file type they say "application" now... whereas the ONE that still works is listed as a "file"
0 x

Rebeccac
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Rebeccac » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks for replying by the way. I know it's a long shot!
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:24 pm

The MRS-8 files are are not in a format the Mac can open.
The Mac may be just asking you for an application to open them with. This is purely a guess and best case scenario.
The audio files are a Zoom proprietary compressed format that need to be converted to WAV for PC or AIFF for Mac.
You need to download, install and use the the Card Manager for the MRS-8
You can get it from this page:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/downloads/mrs8/software/
Copy the project folder with the files to your mac, use the Card Manager to navigate to that folder and open the files.
Once they are loaded in the Card manager you can convert them to WAV (PC) or AIFF (Mac)
I suggest you convert to both formats so you have them on hand in case you want to send them to someone else to mix or look at.
once converted, you import the WAV or AIFF audio file into a DAW like Reaper, ProTools, Ableton, Etc.

If the Card Manager is unable to open or read the files, try another card reader that's know to be in good working order and is compatible with the computer your on.

If none of these steps work, try running a virus scan on the files or copies of the files to see if they are infected.
If they are infected, then be sad, mourn the loss, recover as quickly as possible and re-record while you still remember what you recorded.
Or just move on and record new songs altogether.

good luck!
0 x