zoom MRS 1044

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
Zipperdy
new to this board
new to this board

zoom MRS 1044

Post by Zipperdy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:42 am

[imgsize=] Hi all. My Zoom Studio is failing to start. I thought I had a problem with the adapter lead, but I've tested it with another lead, and that's not the fault. Having unscrewed the bottom cover, I see there a small circuit, which the mains adapter goes into. Is there any way of testing this? And does anyone know the cost of replacing this part? Or, I live in West Sussex, UK, does anyone know of a reliable repair shop? Help much appreciated. Zip! :?:
0 x

codekiddie

Re: zoom MRS 1044

Post by codekiddie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 am

Zipperdy wrote:[imgsize=] Hi all. My Zoom Studio is failing to start. I thought I had a problem with the adapter lead, but I've tested it with another lead, and that's not the fault. Having unscrewed the bottom cover, I see there a small circuit, which the mains adapter goes into. Is there any way of testing this? And does anyone know the cost of replacing this part? Or, I live in West Sussex, UK, does anyone know of a reliable repair shop? Help much appreciated. Zip! :?:
Hi.

When you say it fails to start, does anything happen, such as the display lights up but shows nothing, or the 'access' light flickers, or do you actually get no indication at all that it has been switched on? :(
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:15 am

Just looked on the Zoom website, and they list this address/phone number as the UK distributor:

Zoom UK Distribution Ltd t/a Zoom UK
15 Weston Barns, Hitchin Road, Weston,
Hertfordshire, SG4 7AX, United Kingdom
Tel: (44) 1462-791100 Fax: (44) 1462-791117
E-mail: info@zoomcorp.co.uk / enquiries@zoomcorp.co.uk

If they don't do repairs, at least they may be able to put you in touch with someone who does :)

Looking at Google maps, they are still listed on the sign outside Weston Barns, so hopefully they are still there.

Google Location

You can just make out 'Zoom UK' at Unit 15 second from bottom.

Good luck.
0 x

Zipperdy
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Zipperdy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:57 am

codekiddie wrote:
Zipperdy wrote:[imgsize=] Hi all. My Zoom Studio is failing to start. I thought I had a problem with the adapter lead, but I've tested it with another lead, and that's not the fault. Having unscrewed the bottom cover, I see there a small circuit, which the mains adapter goes into. Is there any way of testing this? And does anyone know the cost of replacing this part? Or, I live in West Sussex, UK, does anyone know of a reliable repair shop? Help much appreciated. Zip! :?:
Hi.

When you say it fails to start, does anything happen, such as the display lights up but shows nothing, or the 'access' light flickers, or do you actually get no indication at all that it has been switched on? :(
Yes, I get nothing. It started to flicking off and on two weeks back. That's why I thought it was the lead, as when I shook it, the screen light came on. Any ideas? Thanks again. Zip. P.S I'll try the website, too.
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:08 am

Zipperdy wrote:Yes, I get nothing. It started to flicking off and on two weeks back. That's why I thought it was the lead, as when I shook it, the screen light came on. Any ideas? Thanks again. Zip. P.S I'll try the website, too.
If shaking it got it going once, then it sounds like at best it could be just a dry soldered joint on the power supply board, (the one where the mains adapter plugs into). If you have a soldering iron and feel happy to try it yourself, (or know somebody with one and you're happy for them to try), I would simply go round and check all of the joints on the board. Start with the joints of the socket where the power plugs into, and the on/off switch, you never know, you might get lucky :D

If you have a meter you could test if there is power going to the hard drive, (the connector with two black, one red and one yellow cables). Between either Black and the red you should get +5V, and between either black and the yellow it should be +12V. If they are present then the power supply input side must be working. This does not test the voltages going to the main board but it is a start. If you get no voltage readings there, then it is definitely a power board problem, so look carefully around it for any clues like blackened components, or leaking capacitors :shock:
0 x

Zipperdy
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Zipperdy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:06 pm

codekiddie wrote:
Zipperdy wrote:Yes, I get nothing. It started to flicking off and on two weeks back. That's why I thought it was the lead, as when I shook it, the screen light came on. Any ideas? Thanks again. Zip. P.S I'll try the website, too.
If shaking it got it going once, then it sounds like at best it could be just a dry soldered joint on the power supply board, (the one where the mains adapter plugs into). If you have a soldering iron and feel happy to try it yourself, (or know somebody with one and you're happy for them to try), I would simply go round and check all of the joints on the board. Start with the joints of the socket where the power plugs into, and the on/off switch, you never know, you might get lucky :D

If you have a meter you could test if there is power going to the hard drive, (the connector with two black, one red and one yellow cables). Between either Black and the red you should get +5V, and between either black and the yellow it should be +12V. If they are present then the power supply input side must be working. This does not test the voltages going to the main board but it is a start. If you get no voltage readings there, then it is definitely a power board problem, so look carefully around it for any clues like blackened components, or leaking capacitors :shock:
Yes, CK, it was fractured connection on the plug terminals. I soldered it, and bingo, it's working. Ha, amazing. Thanks for your help - much appreciated. Cheers again, Zip.
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Zipperdy wrote:Yes, CK, it was fractured connection on the plug terminals. I soldered it, and bingo, it's working. Ha, amazing. Thanks for your help - much appreciated. Cheers again, Zip.
Brilliant :D glad I could help. Happy recording :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
0 x