Sata (and maybe SSD) conversion to MRS1608

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
underwhelmed
member in good standing
member in good standing

Sata (and maybe SSD) conversion to MRS1608

Post by underwhelmed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:48 am

Completely re-edited post

Had the 1608 for many years. Still has the original IDE hard drive. It is getting a bit noisy, so perhaps time to replace it before it is too late.
Before I invest in an SSD i thought I would try a normal SATA drive.
I have already cloned a spare IDE with just under 120gb which boots up ok, but not used in earnest, so I assume it works - but a SSD would be a better replacement.

I bought one of those 'works both ways' IDE/SSD converters from Ebay.
There's a very good post knocking around about changing the hard drive, so I won't go into that - except for Watch out for the ribbons when taking the top off!
I cloned the SATA drive from the current IDE using clonezilla and resized using gparted to about 117gb (It is alleged that one can go up to 160gb - the motherboard shouldn't support more than 60gb I think? Correct me if I'm wrong).

Being impatient, and having no IDE female to female plug I connected the converter directly to the mother board. Hence no CD drive, which is why i used a cloned disk.

What happened? Did it work?
well, I thought it did, but there was so much lag when I pressed the Record button that it was inoperable.

I plan to give it another go when my adapter cable arrives and let the utility disk format and do a fresh install. However I'm afraid that either the motherboard or the IDE/SATA gismo isn't up to it. I will try with a SSD as well.

Then I'll report back in case anyone still uses this site?

If anyone has any comments, experience or a link for this, please let me know. Cheers- garry
Last edited by underwhelmed on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
I keep buying guitars - maybe one day I'll find one I can play.

underwhelmed
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Sata (and maybe SSD) conversion to MRS1608

Post by underwhelmed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:02 pm

one can of course just bung the mrs disk in and it will reformat and create a new partition up to 120 gb automatically. You can then load saved projects in either via usb or by connecting the hard drive to a computer.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:37 am

Hi underwhelmed,

I would recommend staying at or below 120gb for the drive size.

If you clone the drive, it would be best to leave it exactly the same until tested and not expand the partition(s) until it's verified that an exact clone works.

From my experience while converting to a CompactFlash drive, I would suspect the IDE to SATA converter.
All converters may not be compatible with the MRS-1608 and will either not work properly or not at all.
Unfortunately, unless someone else has been successful with the IDE-to-SATA conversion it's hit or miss on which adapters will work and which ones will not.

If yours works after the 'in the MRS' format setup, please post the brand and model or part number of you adapter so others at least know that one can be made to work or not.

Good Luck!
Last edited by lucas on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

underwhelmed
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by underwhelmed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:08 am

Ah, lucks,
Not so much joy to report.
Unfortunately I broke off a terminal from the converter. It was a red generic square card Chinese variety.
I ordered one from the uk- fits two satas_ sadly didn't work. The generic green wide but narrow converter didn't work either.
The test that previously worked was with a SATA at 118gb, but there was too much lag to operate.

Thus I have given up on the project for the time being as the ss I was going to use for the trial is needed elsewhere.
I might order another Chinese converter from the same place, but I won't has an ssd to test, so, as I know that the SATA was too much work for it, and as I have a few spare ide drives I may well shelve the project.

But if anyone else has a gogo let me know.
0 x