Transferring Projects : How & What to ?

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
rabbm
new to this board
new to this board

Transferring Projects : How & What to ?

Post by rabbm » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:12 am

Hey guys,

I have a 12yr old ZOOM MRS 1266..with 110 odd projects on it.

I think its beginning to fail..because i keep getting :

random error messages
unable to delete projects
tracks saying FULL if i try to re-record over it.
music disappearing from tracks randomly.

How do i go about saving the PROJECTS externally. Can i buy one of those External hard drives and just move the songs over? Do i need special cables ?
If i get a new ZOOM..can i then transfer the songs over to that machine or.. ?

Thanks for any helps
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Transferring Projects : How & What to ?

Post by lucas » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:16 am

You need to make backups of both partitions of the MRS-1266 hard drive.
If you just want a back or transfer the projectors, you will need to copy the project folders. These are usually named something like PROJ001 or PROJ004, etc.
You will need to remove the hard drive from the MRS-1266 and connect it to a computer. Using an external USB drive case will be the easiest way to do that.
You can probably use the MRS-1608 Hard Drive replacement or upgrade guide to get an idea of what removing the hard drive will be like, but remember that your MRS is different and is likely to have a different layout inside or come apart in a different manner.

If you decide you want to try to replace your hard drive and keep using the MRS-1266, I suggest attempting the Compact Flash drive conversion.
This will cut down heat and noise, make the drive easy to remove for backups, etc.
See the guide by Chisel listed under the MRS FAQ Tips and Tricks sticky found at the top of the Zoom MRS Series page.

Rather than replace the hard drive, this may be a good time to back up your projects, convert the audio files to WAV and look into using an inexpensive DAW like Reaper or Mixcraft and move to recording with a laptop or desktop comuter instead.
0 x