MRS 1266 INT HDD ERROR

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
MISTAJONAH
member in good standing
member in good standing

MRS 1266 INT HDD ERROR

Post by MISTAJONAH » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:31 pm

Is it time for a new hard drive? I tried powering on while holding CLEAR and keep getting error message.
0 x

MISTAJONAH
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: MRS 1266 INT HDD ERROR

Post by MISTAJONAH » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:47 am

I installed the 1266 hard drive in an XP machine as slave. Both partitions-MRS-FAC and MRS-USER were on there. I made a Version 1.09 CD. -will try it tomorrow once I get it all back together.
I read elsewhere on this forum about SB & Hard Drive Replacement guide by Chisel. I can not find that guide or post.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:48 am

MISTAJONAH wrote:I installed the 1266 hard drive in an XP machine as slave. Both partitions-MRS-FAC and MRS-USER were on there.
Did you make backups of both partitions while you had it connected? Or, at least made copies of the project folders? If not, you should do that right away in case the drive is failing.
MISTAJONAH wrote:I read elsewhere on this forum about USB & Hard Drive Replacement guide by Chisel. I can not find that guide or post.
It's listed under the MRS FAQ Tips and Tricks sticky found at the top of the Zoom MRS Series page.
The guide is for converting the hard drive to Compact Flash drive. This will cut down heat and noise, make the drive easy to remove for backups, etc.
If you just want to replace the hard drive, you can probably use the MRS-1608 Hard Drive replacement or upgrade guide listed in the first post on the MRS FAQ Tips and Tricks page.
This will give you a basic overview of what will be involved with removing and replacing the drive, but remember that your 1266 will probably have a different internal layout and the case may not open the same way.

Rather than replace the hard drive, this may be a good time to back up your projects, convert the audio files to WAV and look into using an inexpensive DAW like Reaper or Mixcraft.
0 x

MISTAJONAH
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by MISTAJONAH » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:36 am

Hey lucas,
Thanks for the links. This was an ebay find. No install disk. There were projects on there already. I scraped them. They weren't mine. I don't want credit for someones else's work. I never got to use it at all. I was hoping the 1.09 CD would work. But maybe I made it wrong. I used CDBurnerXP data function. Maybe I should have used another program.
I found your other post-to gobbles 308 where you mentioned using WD data lifeguard. I used it then installed drive back in 1266 put burned data CD in-didn't boot. Same message IntHDD Error. I might start looking in to DAWs. I'm trying to be a Zoom loyalist. This was supposed to be an upgrade from my MRS-8-which still works great. I should roll more pennies and get an R8!
Should the HDD jumper be set to Master or CS? It is on Master. Thanks again. :applause:
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:52 am

The 1.09 file from the Zoom site looks like it's just a firmware updater.
The easiest way to set up a new drive is with the factory recovery CD.
You would need to email Zoom support and see if they will send you one.
If Zoom will not send one, then you need to find someone who has a one they can image and send you.

In the meantime, you can try copying the files from each partition to the partitions with the same name on the new drive.
Chisel's Compact Flash guide has a section on setting up partitions.
The only problem is if the system files from the old drive are corrupted, you will still get errors.

Yes, the drive needs to be set to 'Master' when installed in the MRS.

If you don't have or want to buy a new drive, one thing you can try while waiting for the recovery CD is to back up both partitions on the hard drive as mentioned above and make note of the partition names what order they are in, as well as what formatting is used and the byte size. After that, download the test software from the drive manufacturer's site and test the drive, then wipe the drive (zero it out), then recreated the partitions and format them using the same formatting (FAT, FAT32, etc) and byte size.
Finally, copy the files for the partitions from the back-ups, re-install the drive in the MS and see if it boots.
The system files for both the MRS-FAC and MRS-USER partitions are the same I think, with one being used to back up the other.
I think MRS runs off of the MRS-USER partition and the MSR-FAC is the back-up or recovery partition.
If it doesn't boot, you can try copying the matching files or folders from one partition to the other from the back-up you made.

If the drive reports as good after testing, you may have a differrent issue causing the failure and a new hard drive or running recovery may not fix it.

At one point I had an MRS-1608 and two MRS-8s and I liked them a lot, so I understand why you want to keep using them, but once I started using a computer I never used them again.
An R8 would probably be a better move at this point than broken MRS-1266.
If you decided to move to computer recording, you can get the new Zoom UAC-2 USB interface if you want to keep using their products. It's had decent reviews.
0 x

MISTAJONAH
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by MISTAJONAH » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks lucas for all of the great tips/info! Zoom offered to upgrade me to an R8/16 but rescinded the offer when they found out I was not the original owner. I found someone at jam night with the same set up so it works-might sell it to them if I don't like mine. Or if my 8 dies.
It's too bad in later MRS versions the bass was ignored. That's why I like my-MRS8 drums/bass and amps. Then I was thinking the higher end R's would have different/better amps but they all seem the same. Even the MS50 should have more. I'm getting off topic though.
I just might make the 21st century leap in to PC recording one day. It just seems such a checklist to record your ideas. PC, interface, DAW, RAM, amp sim plugins. Turn internet and virus protection off-now you can start recording-if you're still inspired. :rock:
That Zoom UAC-2 USB interface does look sweet!
0 x

utla100
new to this board
new to this board

Post by utla100 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:36 am

Sorry to bothering, just got "intHDD Error" problem last Friday,
hard disk maintenance procedure not work for my MRS-1266CD ,
had tried plug HDD to PC nor can be detected too.
Now i had to rebuild system with new HDD, but recovery CD gone long time ago,
can someone kind share your MRS-1266 recovery CD ISO file link to me , i'll appreciate it , thank you.
0 x

LeroyP
new to this board
new to this board

Post by LeroyP » Tue May 31, 2016 7:51 am

Hi utla100 pm me if you still need the cd...
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:27 pm

MISTAJONAH wrote:It just seems such a checklist to record your ideas. PC, interface, DAW, RAM, amp sim plugins. Turn internet and virus protection off-now you can start recording-if you're still inspired.
Yes, I felt that way too at one time.
It does seem like a checklist until you realize most of that is a one-time setup.
If you only have one PC and it's a desktop, you can get a removable drive bay (or two) which will allow you to setup each drive for different purposes.
One drive for normal PC activity and a second drive for recording.
Shut the PC down and switch out the drive for whatever you intend to do at the moment.
Setup and tweak the recording drive as needed for recording. Have it load the DAW automatically on boot up.
setup templates for new projects and new tracks to let you quickly create either with the plugins you usually need already loaded.
once it's done you can simply boot up, plug in, hit record and play.
0 x

mrhoudat
new to this board
new to this board

Post by mrhoudat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:25 am

0 x