MRS-1608 hard drive

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
miamibrit
new to this board
new to this board

MRS-1608 hard drive

Post by miamibrit » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:33 am

Hi,

I know this has been covered a lot on here, but I have read all the posts and cannot find an answer to this issue. I received a hard drive error on my Zoom MRS-1608. I replaced it with an 80gig Seagate Barracuda drive that I was told would work. Well, it didn't. So I sourced a Maxtor 40gig like the original drive. But no luck on that one either. Both drives are confirmed to be in good working order. In both cases I am trying to boot from the factory CD, albeit a copy sent to me from Japan. If I turn on the machine. regardless of which of the three drives I install, I get:

eDSP error

If I then hit enter it changes to

dDSP error

If i then hit enter it changes to

SystemD error at which point the machine locks up.

If I try to run a factory reset or scan by holding down EXIT, starting up, and pressing MARK I get an ExtFunc ERROR, which I can find no reference for.

Since this is hard drive number three, I am reluctant to pursue hard drive failure any further. I'd appreciate any insight as I seem to have hit a wall.

Cheers,
Chris
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: MRS-1608 hard drive

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:59 am

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry it has to be under these circumstances.

In my opinion "eDSP error" and "dDSP error" do not indicate a hard drive issue. I believe they indicate a chip on a circuit board failure; specifically one of the digital signal processing (DSP) chips. That level of repair typically requires the unit visit a service center equipped to perform component level diagnostics and replacement of surface mount components. There is also an assumption the service center has, or can obtain, the needed replacement component.

Beyond getting your unit repaired, your best bet is to try and find a "parts only" non-working unit and combine good parts from the two units to create a good unit. The good news is your hard drive is likely still good so if you can find a unit with a known defective hard drive you should be able to create a working unit.

Of course there is the possibility I am wrong as I am considered to be a pessimist.

One question. You started your post by stating, "I received a hard drive error on my Zoom MRS-1608". Was that one of the errors you quoted or a different message?
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

miamibrit
new to this board
new to this board

Re: MRS-1608 hard drive

Post by miamibrit » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks for the response Jim. That was what I was thinking. The original error was 'int HDD error'. That now seems to have morphed into something more sinister. It's a shame because it is still a great, very useful machine when working.

I suspect that the repair would be higher than buying a used but functional one from ebay.
0 x