Re: MRS 1044 Rhythm hdd error

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
Died Young
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Died Young » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Hello, I have just resurrected an MRS 1044CD which had a dead hard drive and I've successfully completed the CF upgrade, I have downloaded the version 2.10 o's from zoom website but this download doesn't have the drum kits or rhythm pattern files, I have the unit working just don't have any drums. I have contacted zoom, both UK and Japan but neither have responded regarding my needing a restore disc, I have recently restored an MRS 1266 also, for which the website download was enough, that has CF too now B-) great work all you guys who done this first, Lucas, Chisel, Codekiddie, anyone I forgot , thank you. Cheers Neil I have tried MRS 1266 files but they are not compatible.
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:08 am

Hi Neil.

I uploaded the contents of the MRS-1044 system recovery CD a while ago for other users, and you can download it from the links below:

Download part one (252 Mb)
Download part two (23.5 Mb)

Once downloaded, unzip the contents and copy the Project folders and the five files from the download part one, to the root of the new drive, then add the sounds folder from the second download to the root of the new drive.

Hopefully this, and all your hard work, will give you a working recorder :D

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards

Phil
0 x

Died Young
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Re: MRS 1044 Rhythm hdd error

Post by Died Young » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:50 am

Hello and thank you. I hAve looked through the mrs faq tips and tricks but I must of missed this! You are a legend. Sounds like it will work, I'm just downloading now so I'll let you know. Funny thing is the mrs 1266 was so easy to do really, the CF to ide board slotted in the space provided, the website download was enough to get it working fully This mrs 1044cd is tricky, the download alone was not enough and the space for the uib or sib is between two pcbs and the data cable sits to proud of the socketon the CF to ide board to slip it between them.. The data cable connecting the hard drive is so short it would need to be extended.. I've just connected the board with a 16gb transcend 133x and put it in the space where the hdd was, inside front right. Just means have to open unit to backup (I didn't want to modify the case..) Although I'm tempted to :-B thank you for your reply and your help and your work with this.

Cheers,

Neil
0 x

Died Young
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Died Young » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Well I can't seem to get these drums working. I removed the CF card and plugged into the pc with the card reader, dragged over the files, put it back in the mrs 1044. Once it booted it read 'sys file not found ' on the screen. So I ran the iso of the download which done ' Factdscrec ' and then it worked just like before. No drumkits. Everything else fine but no kits, when I press kit/prog in the rhythm section it reads 'hdd err' on the screen. So I pulled the card and plugged into the pc and I put all the files on it again and burnt all the files from the factory disc to a cd. Didn't run. Burnt another one, this time I added all the files from the Factory recovery disc to the version 2.10 iso I already had. Now when this done Factory recovery it took alot longer, it seemed to be installing the sounds etc so I thought, maybe, just maybe this would be it... But no, no drumkits. Same thing, hdd err when press the kit/prog button. This time though I got 3 demo songs which I hadn't before... :applause:
0 x

Died Young
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Died Young » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:24 pm

Oh one other thing to mention, when the unit starts up it reads Zoom mrs 1044 and takes awhile to move off that screen then it reads very 2.10 and underneath that R0001... anyone else get that? Cheers and thanks very much for the link Phil
0 x

Died Young
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Died Young » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Sorry, that should say it reads version 2.10 lol.
Or v 2.10
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:01 am

Silly question, but did you unzip the files from what you downloaded first? I have just pulled my CF card and looked at the file structure compared to the files I uploaded, and I do not appear to have the FACTORY.ZEX file present, so may be worth deleting it to see if it makes a difference. Below is a screenshot of the files I have on my card for you to compare.

As you can see there is a folder for each project I have, the SOUNDS folder, and four individual files.

Hope this helps.

BTW, it sounds like you may just need to add the SOUNDS folder to what you have after running the ISO.
0 x

Died Young
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Died Young » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Well how bizarre.

After everything I've tried, I DELETED the Factory.zex file and eureka, drums work B)

I Formatted the CF card with the MRS yet again and I copied everything from the factory recovery download and then the Sounds folder. Then I deleted the Factory.zex folder and put the card back in the MRS and hey presto, it seems to have done the job. I had patterns before but now I have drumkits too :D I was beginning to think why am I wasting my time with this when I have a MRS1608 and 1266 and songs to finish but I couldn't leave it alone. This is what I wanted someone to do for me, to check THEIR file system order and tell me what they had so I could see what I didn't.. thank you. Guess I should of just asked... :D
Alot of the time I guess I figure people have moved on from MRS and I like to try to figure things out myself anyway.
I have done so many different things just trial and error to see what I could think of to get the drums going.
I am sure that Factory.zex file was their on my card even after I formatted with the MRS and ran the disc with the files downloaded from zoom (which worked on the 1266 BTW).
I was going to format again and run that iso just to see but it must be the case as when I copied all the files from the FactRecDisc you when sent me the link yesterday I was gettin SYS File not found if I remember correctly...

Might have to do the CF upgrade on the 1608 now, the odd one out ;)

Thanks very much, your help is greatly appreciated.

You're a legend, cheers,

Neil
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:38 am

Hi Neil.

Glad I could help, and happy recording :drum: :guitar: :guitar:

Regards

Phil
0 x

Died Young
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Died Young » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 pm

Thanks. Just wondered if anyone has managed to run an 800x card with an MRS. I'm running a 133x on the 1044 and a 400x on the 1266... Cheers
0 x

Smurf
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Smurf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:44 pm

codekiddie wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:08 am
I uploaded the contents of the MRS-1044 system recovery CD a while ago for other users, and you can download it from the links below:

Thanks for this also, it IS appreciated! 8)
0 x
H2, MRS-4, MRS-1044