'Rec Error' on display-Why?

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
deangray
member in good standing
member in good standing

'Rec Error' on display-Why?

Post by deangray » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Hey,everyone out there in Zoomland! My post's are like Buses,you wait for ages,then they all come at once! Anyone give me advice on this one,please? I'm in the middle of recording a track & suddenly I'm getting the message on my display,'Rec Error',and can't record any more. I can play the track OK,but if I try to record,I get the above message on my MRS 8 display. I'm up to 'VT 3' on my recorded tracks,so I've tried disabling them by going back to 'VT 2' &' VT 1',but that makes no difference. I've also copied the entire project to a different SD card,but it copies the 'Rec Error' onto the new card. I can play the track OK,but not record.If I try to play the track with the 'Record/Play' button set on 'Record' (red),but with the 'Record' button not depressed,still the track won't play.If I play it with the button set on 'Play' (Green) it plays fine.Please,could anyone help by letting me know how I can find out what the 'Rec Error' message means,and how I can rectify the problem.I love my MRS 8,but she can be a cruel mistress at times!

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: 'Rec Error' on display-Why?

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Hi Dean,

Good to hear from you once again. I'm sorry that it is because you're having trouble once more.

Are you using a SD card that has 1 GB or less memory? As you know, it's gotta be 1 GB or less.

Can you create a new project? If yes then the MRS-8 can write to the SD card. Can you record if you start a new project? If so then the current project is corrupt.

Are you using the internal microphone, external dynamic microphone to record or are you trying to record an instrument? Have you tried to change up what you record by using a different microphone, changing cables and so on?

if you're using batteries try an adapter. When you use batteries make sure you're using alkaline batteries and change the batteries often. Clean the battery and MRS-8 contacts with a pencil eraser.

It's a process of elimination.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

deangray
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by deangray » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:04 am

Hi,again,Jim,

Well,after my last problem,I am using a 1GB card! I can start & record onto a New Project using the problem card & my MRS 8 works fine & records with a new card in as well.
I was working with an external microphone,but at the time when the problem occurred I'd finished recording from any external source & was working on the mixing.I'd already done a preliminary Master & copied it,via the Card Manager to my laptop,but wasn't happy with the vocal result,so I was trying to remix the Master,using the 'Octaver' effect to add depth to the vocals & that's when I started getting the 'Rec Error' message. I also put the SD card into my Laptop & used the Windows 7 'Error check' facility under the 'Properties/Tools' heading,but nothing was found there. I guess I'll try to carry on by Deleting VT tracks in reverse order that I recorded them & see if I can get rid of the corrupt track-Does that sound like a good idea? I was just hoping there would be some way of finding out which of the tracks was causing the problem & fix it without having to re-record all the vocal tracks (After many attempts-I'm not a good singer & it took ages to get the vocals sounding,shall we say,acceptable!) I'm hoping this info may help with more diagnosis.Thanks for any extra tips on this.

Dean.

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Dean,

Like you said, one of the tracks likely has a metadata or sample issue.

Use the Zoom Card Manager or other conversion utility program to convert each vocal track from the native ZAF to WAV file format. My hope is the conversion process will be unable to convert, and thus reveal, the defective track. If that doesn't work then try loading the wave files into an audio editor or DAW. Hopefully the program will have trouble loading, displaying or playing the bad file. At the very least you should be able to hear an audio glitch since even one bad sample can be heard.

Good hunting!
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

deangray
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by deangray » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi,Jim,

I've started the elimination process today by making a copy of the Project onto the same card & I've been deleting the V-Takes one by one,and now I've deleted every take on the copy,trying to record onto the Master track at every stage after deletion-No luck! This is so strange,because up until the point where I tried to add the 'Octaver',it was recording fine.Another strange thing is that when I knew that the copy I had made was corrupted as well,I tried to 'Delete' the track,and it wouldn't Delete-Oh,my aching head! Anyway,I'll try what you suggested & try to convert the V-Takes individually using the card manager...I hadn't thought of that! Watch this space!

deangray
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by deangray » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:17 am

Good Afternoon,Jim,

Well,I tried with everything I could think of,and-No dice! Using the Card Manager I converted each track one by one & all of them converted fine.Next I tried Importing the files individually into Audacity and all but two could not be imported.The two that did import wouldn't actually play,I just got a very short sort of hiss when I tried. I'm thinking now that the Project can't now be saved,but I hate to give up without at least finding out why,even if it is a dud! Any more ideas in your head,Jim? Cheers,Dean.

deangray
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by deangray » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:38 pm

An update on the above; I ended up deleting the last two tracks that I'd recorded,and I CAN record back onto those two tracks no problem.However,I still can't record onto the Master track,or 'Bounce' the tracks onto the empty 7/8 tracks. When the lights above the sliders are lit up green,it plays OK,but if I have the light lit up red,for recording,the project won't even play,even if I'm playing the track only & not actually pressing the 'record/play' buttons. Also,when I turn off the machine,I'm now getting the message 'RhyFile/Save Err',which is a bit strange because the drum track seems fine,and I had no problems with that track when I originally recorded the project to the Master track (Before I started messing about re-mixing the Master track).

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:20 am

All may not be lost!

Use Audacity to import the defective file as raw data (File > Import > Raw Data). From the help file:
Attempts to import an uncompressed audio file that might be "raw" data without any headers to define its format, might have incorrect headers or be otherwise partially corrupted, or might be in a format that Audacity is unable to recognize. Raw data in textual format cannot be imported.

First, select the file in question in the "Select any uncompressed audio file" dialog. Then select appropriate parameters to assist Audacity in the formatting of the data. The fields in the dialog require you select:

Encoding (PCM, ADPCM, float...)
Byte order (this is almost always Little-endian if the file was created on Windows)
Number of channels (expected to be found in the file and created as a result)
Start offset in bytes
Percentage amount of the file to import
Sample rate to be applied to the import (currently, only rates between 100 Hz and 100000 Hz are supported)
Once you get the file imported as raw data, you should be able to remove the defects. Then export the remains as a wave file, convert to a ZAF file and try again!
Zoom MRS-8

deangray
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by deangray » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi,Jim-Nope,no luck there! I did what you suggested,but every track I imported onto Audacity refused to play correctly,some better than others,but basically,no dice! One idea came to mind when I saw the last part of your last post,about exporting the files as WAV files,then converting them as ZAF files for the MRS 8-I have a WAV copy of the song,both with & without the vocal tracks that I'd made before this problem occurred.Do you know if it's possible to convert either the Master track,or the pre-mastered VT 5/& tracks,both of which are saved as WAV files on my computer,back to ZAF files? That would simplify things a lot! I could put it on the SD card on VT 5/6 & work on it from there.

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:01 am

deangray wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm
Do you know if it's possible to convert either the Master track,or the pre-mastered VT 5/& tracks,both of which are saved as WAV files on my computer,back to ZAF files? That would simplify things a lot! I could put it on the SD card on VT 5/6 & work on it from there.
You can convert files in either direction with my Zoom Converter program that I wrote. You can download it here:

Zoom File Converter

You need to set it up as using an MRS-8 with the radio buttons at the top, select the source and target folders for opening and saving the files, and then use the import function, (button on bottom right), to select the .WAV file to import as a .ZAF file.

The download includes a comprehensive .PDF help file, but if you have any questions then please ask.

Hope this helps :guitar: :sing: :drum: :guitar:

deangray
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by deangray » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Yaaaay! That did it! It didn't take long to sort it out with this program & the ZAF tracks are now back on the new SD card & play perfectly-and,more importantly,I can record onto the project again! So,thank you so much for that,Codekiddie,very much appreciated,and thank you,Jim Fogle,whose help was invaluable as well.I better get back into the studio,this is starting to sound like an Oscar's acceptance speech! Thanks,guys!

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:13 pm

deangray wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:58 pm
Yaaaay! That did it! It didn't take long to sort it out with this program & the ZAF tracks are now back on the new SD card & play perfectly-and,more importantly,I can record onto the project again! So,thank you so much for that,Codekiddie,very much appreciated,and thank you,Jim Fogle,whose help was invaluable as well.I better get back into the studio,this is starting to sound like an Oscar's acceptance speech! Thanks,guys!
Glad I could help you out :D

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Codekidde to the rescue! :wiggle: Codekidde to the rescue! :music: Codekidde to the rescue! :tap: Go Codekidde! :drum: Go Codekidde! :metal:

Dean, Glad you got your project going! :applause:

For what it's worth, you also could have used the Zoom provided conversion program to convert from WAV to ZAF or ZAF to WAV. Having said that, Codekidde's conversion program has many more features than Zooms and, at least to me, his program is more fault tolerant.
Zoom MRS-8