Zoom MRS-1608 system error 2 / blank screen

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
Natalia L
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom MRS-1608 system error 2 / blank screen

Post by Natalia L » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi there,

Could somebody please suggest a solution to the following problem:

My MRS-1608 initially had an error message "system error 2". Now the screen is just illuminated but is blank and none of the control buttons work. I can't even turn the unit off unless I remove the plug from the socket.

My main concern is to retrieve the music from the unit. There is a lot on it that had not been backed up.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? What does "system error 2" means?

Perhaps someone could recommend a repairer in the UK who could retrieve the music?

I am utterly desperate.

Many thanks in advance
0 x

codekiddie

Re: Zoom MRS-1608 system error 2 / blank screen

Post by codekiddie » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:38 am

Sadly it sounds as if your hard drive is dead or dying :(
It can be removed from the unit, and plugged into a IDE->USB converter, allowing it to be plugged into a PC as a USB drive. Depending on whether or not the disk is at fault, it may be possible to retrieve the files from the drive to your PC as a backup.

If you feel that this type of work is not for you, then any good PC technician should be able to help recover the files if they are intact.

Whereabouts are you in the UK, maybe a more knowledgeable member lives nearby :D

Phil
1 x

Natalia L
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Natalia L » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks, Phil. Will try.

We are in Hertfordshire, between Bishops Stortford and Harlow.

Kind regards,

Natalia
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:43 am

Natalia L wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:25 pm
Thanks, Phil. Will try.

We are in Hertfordshire, between Bishops Stortford and Harlow.

Kind regards,

Natalia
That's a shame. I used to live between Braintree and Bishops Stortford and could have helped you out. Now between Peterborough and Kings Lynn, so not so close :(
0 x

Sarg1965
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Sarg1965 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:28 am

Hi guys, got a similar problem on my mrs1608 also, blank screen, no sound of hard drive running, and can't turn it off unless plug is pulled out.
Got this one second hand so not sure of history, but both hard drive and CD burner would not run when removed and tried on seperate power source.Replaced hard drive with one formatted to fat32 and new CD burner with factory boot up cd installed in it and followed initilization procedure on page 185 of manual, no joy same result.
Checked for power at output from board for hard drive and cd and seem to be getting around 4.5v and 11.8v at plugs...gather this is normal, I am worried it might have had wrong power supply fitted once and fried the circuit internally...no visual issues, but only screen back lighting works and nothing else...no button functions or lights......I have got another mrs1608 one that I
use a lot and was hoping to get this one as a back up....could pop the new hard drive in this one and format it then try it in the faulty one but too scared to play with the functioning one....any info out there on this issue would be great...cheers
0 x