HMHS 132 - The Four Song Extravaganza (9/26/08)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 132 - The Four Song Extravaganza (9/26/08)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:50 pm

Shocking developments in the Home Made Hit Show this week as we make the radical decision to play four, YES FOUR !!!!, songs.

We are also pleased to announce a new song challenge. Dave chose the theme to be girls names. The main idea is for a girls name to be in the title, but other creative uses are acceptable. Get them in by thanksgiving is the “target” though not the rule. Please try and record a short or long song analysis to go with it.

This weeks INCREDIBLE, FOUR !!!!!! Songs:

Laurier Tiernan - I Pray That You're OK <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tiernanband">MySpace</a><a href="http://www.myspace.com/tiernanband" target="_blank"><wbr></a>
Shaker Hood - Seniorita Do You Like My Gun
Michael Lyzenga - Old Mud River
Les Cotton <span> </span>- Going With The Flow <a href="http://www.lescotton.co.uk/">lescotton.co.uk</a>
0 x

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rocles » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:39 am

Hi guys, thanks for the playing "Goin' with the Flow" and for your comments. Tony, which bit was too loud, you didn't say? I agree with the Oasis feel, I was actually born 1 mile away from the Gallaghers in Longsight, Manchester (but Noel is 10 years younger than me..), so we do have very similar accents!

cheers,
Les
0 x

RobertLeeHall
been here a while
been here a while

The Four Song Extravaganza

Post by RobertLeeHall » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:54 am

Hi Tony and Dave,

I think that the 4 songs idea worked out pretty good. Of course, I really enjoy the commentary and the song writing lessons as well.

Laurier Tiernan - I Pray That You're OK
Very nice. This song had a very nice flow. I envey all you guys that come up with good lyrics. Personally, I struggle most of the time to come up with lyrics. Did you really play the guitar at that speed? Or did u speed it up abit. Thats some high energy playing there. Great job on the recording too.

Shaker Hood - Seniorita Do You Like My Gun
Love the Santana sound on some of the lead riffs. I liked the second lead guitar's sound too but I think it was out of tune by 1/8 of a semitone. Not enough to distract from a very good tune.

Michael Lyzenga - Old Mud River
Loved the vocals here! The groove on this tune was superb.

(encrypted)
.kram 00:22 eht dnuora flesmeht esucxe ot dedeen ydobemoS

Les Cotton - Going With The Flow
Another song which I envey the lyrical writing abilities. The acoustic guitar tones where wonderful.

Nice show Tony and Dave.
0 x
Robert Lee Hall

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:10 am

Laurier Tiernan - Wow, great energy in this one.

Shaker Hood - Great ambience. There's some work to do on the sound quality, but the performance is certainly pro-sounding. Reminds me of Mark Knopfler (where's he nowadays anyway?), probably because of the singing and the guitar.

Chipmunk jingle - ah, this is a classic, genious jingle. (Ferret was it?)

Michael Lyzenga - :chock: Fantastic track in all aspects. There's so many good things to say about this - the vocals, the guitar, the songwriting, harmonica... Could have been mixed with wider panning.

Les Cotton - This is very nice, a lot of things going on in there. I agree about the Oasis parallel, but I probably wouldn't have thought of it unless Dave had mentioned it. The synth is much too loud in the chorus, stealing interest from other instruments. Still a great track.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:29 pm

Laurier Tiernan - I Pray That You're OK - Whoa.... :shock: Try some decaf!... :hilarious: Seriously, a great tune....wish the vocals had a few more db on 'em.

No segments?............. :banana:
Just Buseying. :wink:

Shaker Hood - Seniorita Do You Like My Gun - Great '70's sound here...like the maracas. Kind of Poppy Blues.

Michael Lyzenga - Old Mud River - Another in the same vein. Great recording and a super song....liked the harmonica.

Les Cotton - Going With The Flow - This seems like a familiar name....anyway, I think he's got a hit here - whoever he is. Tidge long, however. :roll:
Last edited by Sungodv on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

famouspatrick

HMHS 132

Post by famouspatrick » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:21 am

<b>Laurier Tiernan - I Pray That You're OK:</b> Wow! Now that's some serious rhythm guitar playing! Do you have forearms like Popeye or what? Great tune, well recorded (except I couldn't quite hear all of the lyrics - insert old man comment), nice arrangement. I'd buy the album.

<b>Guitar Hero and Rockstar games:</b> I know they are very popular, but I don't see the appeal.

<b>Tony's song:</b> I am anxious to hear this one.

<b>Criddle/Chick:</b> Ditto on this one. Writing separate sections and putting them together sounds very Beatle-ish - ala Abbey Road.

<b>Shaker Hood - Senorita Do You Like My Gun:</b> Good blues; I love the guitar and (younger) Tom Waits type vocal. Drums sound a bit mechanical, but otherwise, good job.

<b>Michael Lyzenga - Old Mud River:</b> Nice blues groove, well sung, and those skinny blues licks. Loved it.

<b>Lyric writing discussion:</b> Lots of good points - nothing to add that I haven't already said several times.

<b>Les Cotton - Going With the Flow:</b> Very nice. Simple melody, well put together. Excellent.

I think that this is the first show where I was familiar with all of the genres showcased. A lot of times, I have no context for the song, so I can't give a "review", just a commentary on the parts I understand.

As the resident old fart here, I have no idea who is Oasis or Death Cab for Cutie. One of the reasons I like hanging out with you guys is that it takes me out of my comfort zone (folk, '50's, '60's, 70's rock, pre millenium country). I hate almost all music radio, so I count on alternative sources to expose me to music I don't normally listen to. It helps expand my musical vocabulary, which, I hope, will improve my songwriting.

So, thanks for a show with four helpings of FamousPatrick comfort food, and I look forward to the next.
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:20 pm

Laurier Tiernan - I Pray That You're OK - There are some songs that you know from the first few notes that they are just about perfect. This one is one of those. The beat and flow of music is rocking. The lyrics are superb and quite modern (emails, DNA, etc), and the hook is out of this world. Recording A+. This is a true homemade hit. Radio ready.

Very natural. I'm at work and using different headphones, but it did sound a bit different from other homemade hits. If the boss comes by, I might have to duck out.

I appreciate the show very much. Ah, yes, my songs are more basic than most. "Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger" - hmmm, although I like it, I think I'm very coverable becaues I suck as a musician for the most part and other, more accomplished musicians, can expand on the basic outline, it seems. :agree: As I've said before, my songs could best be described as rough demos.

I don't get Rock Band. Of course I'm still trying to figure out how to play "Pong". I heard they were going to let people create their own songs. In fact I heard that on this show recently, I do believe. That would be cool.

Shaker Hood - Seniorita Do You Like My Gun - Love the song title. Very bluesy. Texas blues. Stevie Ray Vaughan blues. Blues I wish I could play blues. "Skaker Hood" - cool name. Reminds me of Shaker Heights (suburb of Cleveland, Ohio). Whatever that means. Nice recording.

Michael Lyzenga - Old Mud River - More Texas style blues. Nice harp. I love river songs. Why is the river so mysterious? Well recorded song. Authentic blues here. Good work.

Car analogies are used to discuss sex a lot in songs. "Living in an Open Cage". That's good. Could be "Living in an Invisible Cage" too.
That is an interesting line. Cool could be traced back to vocalist. Cool is certainly atmosphere too. I have listened to Death Cab for Cutie. Their last one was fairly popular. I used to listen to them on my car radio, but since it was totalled, I am out of the loop on what's in or out.

It took me so long to post this week because I was working on a project while being fully consumed by the U. S. presidential election. I hardly to much of anything outside of reading, watching, talking, about politics.

You didn't mention books this week. I picked "Catch a Wave," which is about the rise and fall and rise again of the Beach Boys. I was never a big BB fan, but I do understand their talent and impact on popular music. The book is pretty good. They discuss the recording and writing processes of some of the big hits in pretty good detail. It's a fun read.

Les Cotton - Going With The Flow - This is very much like Oasis. Cool summer lyrics. I love this type of song. I think it is that accent that gives songs like these depth. Much like Oasis, I"m getting swept up in the mood this songs is creating. These lyrics are excellent. Wonderful. Cool synth and drums. Oh, love that distant guitar lead. Dam, I wish I could play like that. This is a tear jerker. Nice tune. :^: A+ work.

Great show. Back to the political arena.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

GeeJay
Jedi
Jedi

Post by GeeJay » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:26 pm

Loved the first song - that rhythm guitar reminded me of an early 90's (I think) indie group called "The Wedding Present" and the vocal reminded me of the Cure. Suddenly I'm 21 again :lol: One slight nit - I found the open high hat a little distracting at times , maybe a few less db's would help.

Haven't really explored the Guitar Hero/Rock Band thing - it doesn't really appeal, but I bet its fun once you have a go.

Are your frequent demands of Dave Chick for collaboration materials one of the reasons we don't get many IHR podcasts these days :x :wink:

Songs 2 and 3 - both nicely done. Not really a blues fan, except perhaps in a live setting, but I can appreciate the quality here.

That jingle reminds me - any sign of Zoetropey these days? It would be nice to hear from the squeaky voiced one.

Songs with girls names in - does "b***h" count? :lol:

Enjoyed Les' song at the end - the pace of it is very reminiscent of Oasis.. There is definitely (maybe) a similarity of vocal style too.

Gary.
0 x
My Soundclick Page

GeeJay said "I need to change my avatar!"

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:05 pm

GeeJay wrote: Songs with girls names in - does "b***h" count? :lol:
HA! That actually made me lol. I guess it would count now wouldn't it!
0 x

James Ryce
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by James Ryce » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:31 pm

Song 1 ... I Pray That Your Okay ... Yep, boy that guitar rhythm was moving. It is a great tune and I like it.

I'll enjoy the "poppy" while I can ... love the little sayings you guy's come up with.

And I thank you for using the time you guy's can spare to create the show.

Song 2 ... Really like the bass in this tune. Guitar sounds great as well. Vocals were good. I like the tone and feel of the vocal. Nice song.

Cool little HMHS jingle

Song 3 ... Like the sound of the acoustics ... found the vocals a tad low in volume, but not much ... maybe not. Love the vocal technique here. The whole tune is very cool!

Song 4 and the rest of the show, sorry, I'll have to come back to it as I need to run out. I'll get back to it.

James.
0 x
funky country boy.
Website http://www.jamesryce.com
NEW CD "James Ryce ... ALL MY BEST, PLUS 12 OTHER SONGS"
Sales via PayPal http://www.jamesryce.com/Purchase_The_Music.php

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:23 pm

Apologies for not posting comments about the tunes - I hope to have some time this afternoon guys...

In the meantime, got a question about this new song challenge.

Does the song have to have a proper girl's name in it or can it be a ... "colloquialism" for a female.

I'm getting somewhat inspired to do something "different" and write a sort of "anger management" tune in the vein of Nine Inch Nails based upon an unpleasent experience with an extinguished flame from long, long ago...

Her name started with a "B", but I was thinking of some other name that starts with that letter and rhymes with something you scratch (i.e. an "itch")... :twisted: :lol:
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:42 pm

Anything you want, it's just a tool to get some songs written :)
0 x

Shaker Hood
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Shaker Hood » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:38 am

Would like to say thank you to the many subscribers of The Home Made Hit Show for their insightful and positive responses to the song Senorita Do You Like My Gun.
Encouragement is inspirational.
Thank you
Shaker Hood
0 x

Dave Watson
been here a while
been here a while

Buy Four, Get One Three...?

Post by Dave Watson » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:29 am

Another excellent show guys, who had the background of barking dogs?
Or is it... that you're all barking on HMHS?

I Pray that you're OK
What an energy packed song. This one isn't my style of song but it is certainly very listenable. I'd love to be able to play guitar at that speed. Vocals were good and certainly deserved more room in the mix. :)

Senorita do you like my gun
Excellent blues and lovely licks on the electric guitar. Great vocals, a real blues voice is a fantastic asset, I sing blues like a choirboy with an itch. :shock:

Old Mud River
Knockout sound, stunning vocals. Song of the week for me, beautifully integrated authentic sound. Harmonica just right and well recorded. 8)

Going with the flow
Lovely acoustic sounds and well integrated sound stage. Loved the modern Brit influence of Oasis. This is a commercial ready song, if Oasis released it it would get played. Loved the electric solo with the sweeping synth in the background. Great work... :D

A real high standard of songs in this show, inspirational.
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:00 pm

Okie, finally have some time before a post before my son's hockey practice.

I Pray that you're OK - Cool! Flogging Molly meets the Specials! Love the double tracked vocal on the chorus. Very catchy vocals. Like Dave W, it would have been great to have those a bit more out in the front. All in all, GREAT tune!

Guitar Hero / Rock Band - great entertainment - especially when the kids aren't home and you can crank it. :)

Seniorita Do You Like My Gun - Like the rhythm ... it really keeps you a bit off-balance. Like the use of panning and the total performance here. I can hear a bit o' Santana and maybe Tom Waits influence here??? Awesome smoky voice.

Old Mud River Woah! That opening vocal line just grabs you! Intense. Michael, you've got some serious soul in your voice dude. What a phenomenal arrangement. Lots of ear candy to listen to in the groove, but nothing sticks out at all. Sounds like a bunch o' seasoned musicians who've all played with each other for ages. I'd love to hear more from ya!

Death Cab - love Ben Gibbard's voice. DCFC and Postal Service - great stuff. I

Going With The Flow - Yeah! I can see where Dave was coming from on the Oasis comparison in the vocals... What a cool song - don't know if it was the jibberish that Dave and Tony were talking about ;) previous to your tune or not, but I was drawn into listening to the lyrics. Great delivery - there's something about the no-nonsense way you're singing here that just brings the words front and center. I got a bit distracted by the synth pad in the mix - especially in the solo: seemed a bit too loud and maybe you could have played the chords rather than a single note... just mho...

Cheers!

Dave
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Buy Four, Get One Three...?

Post by Rocles » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:09 am

Dave Watson wrote: Going with the flow
Lovely acoustic sounds and well integrated sound stage. Loved the modern Brit influence of Oasis. This is a commercial ready song, if Oasis released it it would get played. Loved the electric solo with the sweeping synth in the background. Great work... :D
A real high standard of songs in this show, inspirational.
Dave, thanks very much for the comments. The "Acoustic" sound i'm really pleased with. Its actually an Ibanez Electro-Acoustic, run thru a Yamaha MagicStomp, set to an Acoustic modelling preset, also a touch of Compression to even things out. It takes all the Piezo "quack" out of the sound, makes it really natural and airy sounding. Synth is a String patch, actually two string patches, one high, and one low, panned slightly left and right. These days I use Edirol Hypercanvas, gives a good Orchestral sound when its in the mix.

As with all my mixdowns, the final master is processed with PSP Vintagewarmer 2, wouldn't master without it :D

cheers,
Les
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:19 am

I pray that you're OK
really liked this.
well done.
the guitar almost had a banjo or mandolin feel to it.

sure is a of talk for a show you couldn't think of a segment for. :D
LOL

Senorita do you like my gun
would like to hear Tom Waits do this one.

Old Mud River
nice bluesy feel.

Going with the flow
cool
the accent and the orchestral arrangement seem similar to what Oasis do on their 'mellow' songs.
good stuff.
wonder if he could pull off a 'morning glory' song?
0 x