HMHS 136 - Prizes and More Prizes (11/07/08)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 136 - Prizes and More Prizes (11/07/08)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:01 pm

http://www.homemadehitshow.com

Back again with a long home songwriting and recording show. Lots of talk (sorry Steve).

Prizes given out and more prizes to give, send an email to homemadehitshow@gmail.com with Lyric Contest in the title to win a copy of Writer Better Lyrics from Pat Pattison.

Remember as the holidays approach to use the Amazon link on the site for your purchases.

During our song discussion we played

Time - Pink Floyd
How To Be Dead - Snow Patrol
The Angry Mob - Kaiser Chiefs

Songs this week

The Morrisons - Captured in a Jar http://www.freewebs.com/themorrisonsband

Todd Moore - What You're Doing To Me http://www.myspace.com/g33kfr34k

Watch The Recoil - Another Roadside Crucifix http://www.myspace.com/watchtherecoil
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMHS 136 - Prizes and More Prizes (11/07/08)

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:49 am

The Morrisons - Captured in a Jar
First impression - The Byrds. Definitely has that mellow 60s vibe. Sounds good.

Todd Moore - What You're Doing To Me
First impression - The Cars. Good power pop tune. Nice job.

Pink Floyd - Time
This Floyd fellow is quite good.

And now, let's teach Dave how to do bbcode links:

Code: Select all

[urlx=http://playboy.com]Home Made Hit Show[/urlx]
You might want to modify that before adding it to your sig. ;)

Watch The Recoil - Another Roadside Crucifix
First impression - Peter Gabriel (and Elliot Smith). Very nice sounding and deceptively simple mix. Really cool song.

Great come back show. You guys might want to do shorter clips of the pro songs you discuss, that was definitely the "channel surfing" portion of the show, although the discussion was interesting. Otherwise A+++++++++++++ WOULD LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST AGAIN!!!!1!11!!!!
0 x

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rocles » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:01 am

The Morrisons - my kind of song. Reminds me a bit of the band America, nice laid back feel

Todd Moore - wow, what a production job, superb. ...and the sound....Boston guitars? Todd nailed THAT sound, details appreciated if poss? Very well played, good hook...brilliant job

Watch The Recoil - Another nice vibe to this, nicely recorded guitars in particular, and well performed Vocal, with just the right amount of effects. Great drums too.

Interesting discussion about the three well known songs too...funny how, in the case of Time, its become such a familiar song you forget how brilliant it is.

Les
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:59 am

Thanks for the link signature lessons Zoetrope! :) Ha

Yeah, that segment with the Pro songs was a little long. I think we might go with just one song next time to keep it shorter. I wanted the clips to be long enough to show the structure of the song and get all the important parts. That was a tough call. It was a fun segment to do though.

Great songs this week everyone!

Dave
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:24 pm

criddlerus wrote:I wanted the clips to be long enough to show the structure of the song and get all the important parts.
Perhaps if you guys talked over the clips, sort of "DVD commentary" style. I realize that would present a bit of a technical problem, but it would also be easier to spotlight bits of the song as they happen. Or maybe each of you could pick one song and do commentary for that song, thus solving the problem of having to do it with one of you hearing the song over the phone.
0 x

JYMUSIC
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by JYMUSIC » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:28 pm

Great show and songs.

Wondering about the Studio Wizard Guitar Amp Simulator. Does anyone know where it can be found on the internet? Tried to do a search but couldn't find anything.

JY
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:26 pm

No problem. Just used to the old HMHS format...it's now more like the HRO which I wasn't that keen on.
Anyway, just for you, I listened, all the way through. Did that rhyme?....man, this song writing thing is creeping into everything... :shock:
That book is in my wishlist on Amazon....I should enter the contest.

The Morrisons - Captured in a Jar - Pretty cool vibe to this. Kind of 60's retro sound with the Rickenbacker sounding guitar and doubled 'verb vocals.....Liked the recording too. Mix sounded good.

Todd Moore - What You're Doing To Me - Is your name Geek or Todd? :shock: :P ...but yeah, nice intro dood-lee. I agree with most of what he's saying....little over-analyzing, but good nonetheless. And 20, 30, and 40 year olds have been doing this fer decades....nothing weird here.
Great tune. Amazing use of EZdrummer. I can only get that type of thing by actually driving the VST with pads. MXL 990?....great Mic. ;) Excellent job all over. Sounded pro recorded.

This is my fave Floyd tune. I do love the old Pink stuff from my early teens. Like the mix of David and Richards voices....Gilmour is God in my world. I think this is his tune.
Snow Patrol tune was nice..... Kaiser Chiefs? I thought it is was Chefs...anyway, they make great rolls....and the song was tastey too.

Jury is out on the new format of the forums in my little world.

Watch The Recoil - Another Roadside Crucifix - Very different voice here....might have been a hit back in the 70's and early 80's. Good tune.
Last edited by Sungodv on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

G33K
new to this board
new to this board

Post by G33K » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Another good show guys! Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

Captured in a Jar - I like the minimalist arrangement. It's sparse, but contains just what is required. The tones of the instruments (the lead guitar is especially nice) really pull the mood of this together. It reminds me of something retro, which I'm in to. Nice work.

What You're Doing To Me - The guitars are done with the Studio Devil. ( http://www.studiodevil.com/home/ ). The 'Boston' sound (Many people think that my guitars sound like Boston) is just created by using humbucker pickups through a Brit tube amp, just slightly dirty. Record two takes, pan one hard right, one hard left. For choruses and dynamics I might add another pair.

I have an electronic drum kit here in the studio that I'll use to put beats together and run the resulting MIDI through EZdrummer (and then quite liberally fix them up ;) ) Sometimes I'll just enter the stuff on the piano roll.. I don't use the pre-programmed midi loops too often, but I think the intro drum riff is one I lifted right from the library without an edit.

The MXL990 is a "POS" mic that I bought to record some demos with the idea that I'd replace it with something better later... 4 years and two albums later, I'm still using it.

About my speaking voice vs. singing voice... This song is the absolute TOP end of what I can sing. If you notice, I had to comp the heck out of it, because I was teetering on the edge of consciousness at the end of every phrase..:D

Thanks for the positive comments about my song. It's interesting that Dave brought up the Fountains Of Wayne comparison, because they're one of my favorite groups.

And 'G33K' is my performing name. I normally go by Todd.. ;)

Watch The Recoil - Great job on the vocal doubling. I can't tell if it's a live overdub, or electronic, but I suspect it's live and very well done. I like the dynamics of the recording too. It has a nice feel and grove and the musicianship is top.

Thanks again, Tony and Dave!

-G33K
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:30 pm

What DAW do you use Todd....er, Geek? Sonar has excellent comp'ing tools.
Another who uses an electric kit.....to get.....the hit. Sheesh. :lol:
Yes, we have a few MXL users here. That Studio Devil is similar to what is in GearBox....still, I downloaded the freebie. Saw this on the Cakewalk site. It's included in some of their software.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:21 pm

Ooooo - look at the beautiful new interface goodies!

Great show you guys

LOL - This post is going to start to look like one of those bad web sites from the early '90's when they started putting those flash and background image tags in HTML. Oh dear...

Morrisons - great tune - that chord you were asking about - E-A-B-C-B-E (that's what I was getting from what you were describing and trying to play along...): In the context of your tune, I'd call it a Cmaj7 add 13. You're going back and forth between E minor and what essentially is a tasty C chord. Very nice!

Songwriting process - I dunno, I've got no real set process on what comes first or what. Maybe, that's my problem. :) The only rule I have is to stop myself before I get too far into the arrangement stuff - I love doing that and have found myself with sections of songs that sound fantastic, but then find it overwhelming to try and get inspired to do another section. If that happens, I'll either just shelve the tune, mute a bunch o' tracks leaving the bare bones or just start again with a blank slate and the best intentions to not do it again. Chords, ideas, lyrics, melodies, arrangement - any one of those things can come first, depends what state of mind I'm in I guess.

Todd - Holy kr@p - nice smack ya in the face kind of sound! Like Tony said, I was NOT expecting that to come out after your intro. Maybe if you'd limited your voice over to the same RMS that your tune was, it wouldn't have been such a surprise. Great hooks, great arrangement, kept it simple, yet brought in enough ear candy and performance nuances to get ya to take some more listens. Beautiful pipes you've got there!

Guys I liked the song discussions - think it's a great idea, but yeah, gotta agree with some others here: you might want to start focusing in on one or two songs - seemed a bit drag on. Maybe one tune a show, and get some sort of formula together - why it's interesting to you musically, lyrically, whotnot. Once you've got that down, then challenge us listeners to start picking tunes that we are drawn to and see what comes out. Did that once at a songwriting class a couple of years ago and found it really interesting to see what songs push buttons for different people (Being the lone Canadian in the room, I picked Red Barchetta by Rush ;) ).

Another Roadside Crucifix - Nice vibe. Well recorded - you phenomenal job with what you were working with! Proof that if you've got the chops, then equipment and technology are simply just tools.

Looking forward to next week. Damn! it's only a couple more weeks to your Thanksgiving - I gotta get cracking on this tune! :shock:

- Dave
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:21 am

chckn8r wrote:LOL - This post is going to start to look like one of those bad web sites from the early '90's when they started putting those flash and background image tags in HTML. Oh dear...
:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: ;) :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: Don't Know what you are talking about.... :roller: :sing: :rofl: :hammer: :eye: :eye3: :yes: :stick: :wav: :applause: :banana: :fiddle: :hilarious: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Dave, you are my hero for figuring out that chord for us. You da' man! :)

I am currently overwhelmed with arrangement ideas for my girl's name song. Need to just kick myself in the butt and get over it.

We are definitely going to have a slimmed down version of our song review section for the next show. Probably one song. We might be able to do something like Zoetrope said with talking over the song. I don't want to make myself have to do actual work though. :)

Thanks for the suggestions and great comments everyone! It makes us hosts all giddy.

Dave
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:53 am

That post needs more cowbell:
:cowbell:
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Zoetrope wrote:That post needs more cowbell:
:cowbell:
Oh, now, that's what I'm talking about! Very appropriate
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:08 am

I'm not sad the presidential contest is over, but I sure do feel like I have a life again.

The Morrisons - Captured in a Jar - Really pretty song. Well recorded. (See below on why comments so short.)

Hmm...don't know that chord. But then again, I don't know many chords.

I wish I had people to work with in person. I actually did go over another home recorder's house on Saturday. I met him at the open mic. He was recording a woman the day I went over. Hopefully we will get together to collaborate. That's my hope at least.

I'm starting to get the bug to write again. The presidential election is over and I am feeling that I can breath again. I actually cleaned up my recording area today and put everything in order. Now I just need to plug the crap in and start writing. I'm feeling like I need new songs for open mics, so that's cool. I am actually beginning to blend writing and playing live - just like the big boys in the pros. I'm getting tired of singing the same old songs at the open mics.

I have often thought about just listening and giving a few lines. But I get inspired by the show and feel like commenting on everything. I think I will keep my comments on the songs short. I actually enjoy the talking parts more and more.

Okay, Todd, I'm going to listen and keep my comments to a line or two.

Todd Moore - What You're Doing To Me - Wow, that intro did fool me. I was thinking mellow. This baby rocks. :metal: Reminds me of the group Boston. I really liked Boston. This is a cool song. Well done.

I too thought it was going to be real mellow. Great song.

"Time" - I'll never forget when this album was released. Wow! What a summer that was, I think.

For me it is the lyrics and the music. What great lyrics. That soaring guitar is outstanding.

I've read that for pop/country songs aimed at the top 40 market should have intros about 15 seconds.

Most of my song melodies are developed from the guitar or key lines. I too wish I could break away from that.

I don't know Snow Patrol much. I've never heard this one. I'll just listen to you guys. Big sound, I'll say that. Is this emo rock? Yea, I didn't get the lyrics at all. The melody swept me along so the song worked.

Kaiser Chiefs is another band I only know slightly. I really like that chorus. Obviously they aren't American ("...we read the papers every day..."). Americans don't read the papers the way they used to. Circulation is down on most major city papers. I like how the sound builds. Cool song. You guys take it from here.

I think it was a good addition to the show, but I agree probably one or two songs should be reviewed.

Watch The Recoil - Another Roadside Crucifix - Nice song. Great lyrics. Like the vibe you've captured here. Great song. Love that hook line.

Good show.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

James Ryce
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by James Ryce » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:06 pm

The beauty of being able to download the show is I can start to listen, then pause it when I have to run out, take a call, or concentrate on something that needs my attention. The downside, is I sometimes forget what I was going to say about each song when I listen that way. For example, it took me most of the day to get through this show, but that is okay. Each section held my interest enough that I was able to pick up from where I stopped the show.

This was a great show with some really good tunes (meaning the home recorded songs ... pro songs area given). What really struck me about the three home made songs versus the three partial Pro songs you featured, is the Home Recorded songs stood up really well next to the three great Pro tunes!

I like the idea of you two featuring snippits from pro songs and talking about them. I found it very interesting.

I also enjoyed hearing the recording process others use (as you said ... others like to hear about it).

Talking voice verses singing voice. It is quite amazing the differences between the two on a lot of folks (some folks may not have have that much). I often get people come up and tell me I sound nothing like myself when I sing. It would be pretty neat to get everyone to record their talking voice and then see who can identify and match the "talk" voice with the artist here on the forum.

Great show guy's ... glad your back again.

James.
0 x
funky country boy.
Website http://www.jamesryce.com
NEW CD "James Ryce ... ALL MY BEST, PLUS 12 OTHER SONGS"
Sales via PayPal http://www.jamesryce.com/Purchase_The_Music.php

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:39 am

One of the better shows I thought, I listened on Saturday but only posted this on Tuesday.

The Morrisons - Captured in a Jar. Very good mellow groove, I get the references to America. The instrumentation has a very clear mix and quality levels are good.

But the discussion has kicked in and I want to comment.

Playing with a band versus solo. Arranging and writing at the same time. Is there a danger of rushing things as a solo recorder (and I imagine many of us are stuck with that mode generally)? You get a tune, get a lyric and want to get it down. After my ex-perience on my album last summer I'm going to take a lot more time on the recording process. Once a song exists then I can re-write and re-arrange any time I want. This has always given me my best results, from now on I intend to take the whole thing much more slowly. Am I right in saying some people on this forum actually dislike coming back to songs? I'm sure someone posted that once after I'd gutted a song and re-done it. I suppose its like reheating yesterday's dinner.

Ha. I've done the first attempt 'interview show idea'. Hilariously bad; my son interviewed me. I gave away nothing of any value. First lesson learned - interviewee needs questions in advance and should notes to help them answer. Most of us would be thrown by the questions and offer shallow answers - at least I was! :roll: That said there is a freshness and natural comedy to our banter so I might offer my out takes for perusal.

Todd Moore - What You're Doing To Me. I really, really, enjoyed Todd's introduction too much in it for me to pick up on here, but it repaid a secomnd listen. "Starting with the chorus". Hmm, I start with what I've written first and I don't know what part its going to be, usually its the verse as I deliberately write my

"It's never too late for a re-write" Well said. I quite agree we are not the best judges of our songs. As well as pruning your own ideas its best to leave judgement space to the audience. I've had similar experiences a song I thought was weak grew on me after others seemed to really like it.

And the song is a bloody good pop rocker, great work! :egit: Strong in every department, good arranging, good instrumentation and vocals that cut through and shine. Sounded pro; period.

I found the review of pro songs a worthwhile listen - please do more. I'd just be wary that they do seem to take a while. A classic song like the Floyd one inevitably generates a lot of comment. It is helpful to learn off the pros but they get plenty of airspace. The Kaiser song in particular generated praise but I didn't really grab onto anything I could take away and use here. So I guess my point is that a song should be selected for discussion if it offers something with our reach. Which, to be fair the Kaiser Chiefs' did - add an anthemic chorus. But is that a stadium rock thing? Do any of us aspire to that? Only when I'm driving on the motorway singing along with Bono.

Watch The Recoil - Another Roadside Crucifix. Liked the vocals a lot, nice guitar sound too. Background vox quite Damian Rice, good work. The vocals make this track stand out but everything is good along with it. Really like the distorted guitar solo.
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

GeeJay
Jedi
Jedi

Post by GeeJay » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:41 pm

Loved the show this week guys.

Standout track for me was Todd's - superbly produced! As Tony said, you'd never know this was home recorded - a bit depressing actually :(

I found Todd's intro very interesting, particularly what he said about thinking your lyrics are junk - this does hold me back without a doubt. I should take his advice and just get it down, no matter what I think of it.

Also found the pro song analysis interesting, I have no problem if you want to do 2 or 10. Probably best to do one a week though - didn't you guys do something like this before?

As for songs whose introduction bears no relation to the rest of the song as in the ferret, chf, floyd song, may I refer you to Mike Wich's "Poor Willie", one of my favourite 2090 songs!

Gary
0 x
My Soundclick Page

GeeJay said "I need to change my avatar!"