HMHS 141 - A Whole Lotta Daves (12/12/08)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 141 - A Whole Lotta Daves (12/12/08)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:46 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com

Welcome to another show of home songwriting goodness featuring more girl name songs. Presented by Dave's featuring Dave's for all the Dave's in the world.

Here's the link to REALBAND that Dave Watson was talking about (check out his track Arms Enfold Me) for an example. There is a demo of the product available. http://www.pgmusic.com/realband.htm

Here's your songs

Lynn - Dave Cooper

B!tch - Dave Chick

Kathleen and The Silver Screen - Dave Watson
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMHS 141 - A Whole Lotta Daves (12/12/08)

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 pm

Lynn - Dave Cooper
Great job. I'm a sucker for the simple guitar and vocal approach. Oh yeah, and whistle. Well done.

B!tch - Dave Chick
Hm. Billy Idol meets Ministry? Very cool sounds, I love all the synthy goodness happening here. Great song.

Pro song. I didn't catch the title or the artist, and I didn't like the song. They seem to be covering up so so song writing with top notch production, which as usual fails to impress me. I'm just not a big fan of pro pop songs. To me it all sounds like the Monkees, except I liked the Monkees and I don't like this. Am I making any sense at all? Let's move on.

I like how the acoustic guitar sounds like it's in the back of the room (for lack of a better description). It strikes me that these lyrics would work well as a Smiths song. If I were more ambitious I'd try to a Smiths version cover of it, but I'm not. Perhaps Tony will take up that challenge.

Another great show, Daves.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:29 pm

0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:56 pm

Great opening with "Dave" bit. :D

Lynn - Dave Cooper - I'm going to tell you that I have not heard any better original songs than I do on this forum (2090.org & HMHS). This is great. Really neat (pretty) song.

"Beans or ketsup" - great tip.

"Simple, strong message" - yes, I've had that same sense lately.

Let's see, we can't understand the pros and we can understand the non-signed players... :shock: Must...stop...singing...clearly... :D

Yes. I must learn my songs better. I suck at my own songs, and that's pretty bad. What did Dylan say? "I'll know my song well before I start singin'" ("A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"). I've got to get that truth down before I play live again.

B!tch - Dave Chick - Wow. This is out of sight. Great recording. Real rocker.

Ah, skill. He's got it.

Yes, creativity over sound. That is what keeps me interested in all this home recording stuff.

Nice question & answer bit. I'll check that link out.

I'll sit and listen to the song review portion. I usually don't have much to add.

I was watching some videos on Youtube and it struck me that many of the great rock/pop songs from the 50's and early 60's are under three minutes. "Be My Baby" comes to mind. What a song.

My wife is okay with my song topics as I always say before she listens "it's just a song". And they are just songs.

Kathleen and The Silver Screen - Dave Watson - This is great. Wonderful lyrics. Really well done. What a story. Great recording. Great song.

I'm off to watch the Police video that Dave recommended last week.

Great show.

Over and out.

Sincerely,

Dave.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:59 am

Thanks for the link Sir Steve, though I'll go with busy rather than old (or perhaps busy and old).

Zoetrope, don't tell Dave you don't like his song choices, it makes him sad :(
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:55 am

tonyoci wrote:Zoetrope, don't tell Dave you don't like his song choices, it makes him sad :(
Which Dave? There's so many of you.
It isn't really an attack on song choice so much as genre. I doubt you could find a pro pop song done in the last five years that I would actually like. It all just seems a little too easy to me, since so much of what you're hearing is a good recording studio and mix rather than a good song.

When a home recordist puts out something that sounds this well produced, I'm always impressed, because I know how hard that is to do with the tools at hand. When a pro pop musician records in a studio, I demand something more than a slick mix, since that's now the easy part. The song needs to grab me. There needs to be an emotional hook, not just clever panning and a well recorded drum.

By analogy, if I see a Hollywood movie, I want more than computer generated explosions. There has to be a damned good story and damned good acting. Otherwise, what's the point?
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:28 am

Good show again folks,

I'm a little late to add to the Dave jokes, so I won't be tempted.

Tend to agree with Zoetropes comments re: pro pop versus home recording, and would just add that some not over the top emotion, in live performances also makes a song more appealing, even when the recording isn't, or can't be top notch. But like all things it's often boils down to opinion and the mood of the moment.

Thought all the songs were listenable, notthing hard on my ears anyway

Bloody good stuff say I.

Leigh
0 x

rthrashburn
dues paid
dues paid

Post by rthrashburn » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:48 am

good show, as usual.

Lynn - Dave Cooper: a sweet little love song.
nicely played and sung.
the minimal parts fit well, and make the song sound fuller than it actually is.

re; lyrics......sometimes the rhythmic element of the actual melody line can mask weird lyrics if it's cool enough...(see "nirvana").
sometimes if it sounds cool, it is cool i guess.
it seems like most of the folks that put songs up here in zoomland want to tell a story, so maybe vocal clarity matters more for the singer/songwriters than it does for soundgarden and such.

(and thanks for the xmas gift suggestions).

B!tch - Dave Chick: not a sweet little love song, but the penultimate home recording- 1 man, 1 voice, 1 computer.
beware, mr. reznor.
lots of cool noises, fun beat, "kiss my ass" lyrics. i hate her too.
"no guitars harmed", but numerous electrons were obviously inconvenienced, (as observed elsewhere in 2090)....?
as tony, er...dave, said, you've got good skills. super job in all realms.
thanks for the background beta as well.
:^: :^:

(great Q&A with Mr. Watson. it's fun subdued humor in the brit style, yet still informative.).

"Pro Song 'o the Week" : we have listened to gomez since we discovered "liquid skin" in '99,
and actually saw them on the "how we operate" tour in SanFran a couple years ago. they are a smoking band live.
i think the three gtr. players (tony, ben and ian) wrote songs for that record, "girlshaped" sounds like tony, but i'm not sure.....
i recommend "rosalita" from liquid skin, or title track from "how we operate" as further listening to those interested.

Kathleen and The Silver Screen - Dave Watson: ouch. another detour from the love song theme. poor kathleen.
while beautifully done, i can't listen to this any more right now.....pretty sad tale, fictional or not.
on the tech side, it's a great recording and performance, tho the sax is too quiet.
:cry: :cry:

rt
0 x
"i don't play guitar, i play amplifier".
mr. hendrix

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:53 pm

:lol: What a fabulous name for a show - we need more of this.

Dave Chick Bitch:

This was really great stuff and sound so professional - what a beat and sound collage with excellent lyrics, can't think of any more superlatives to describe this.

I like to write meaningful lyrics if I can but sometimes you just got to find words that rhyme and sometimes the tune/meldoy is too good to not to use but the words won't come - so this means just using anything that comes to mind.

Dave Watson Kathleen and the Silver Screen:

Nice tune and lyrics - again you nail the accoustic guitar part. The sax sounds really good but could be brought forward a bit.

Lynn by me - Thanks for playing the song Tony(Dave)!!

Another excellent show and I look forward to many more.

Happy Xmas and new year to both of you.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:03 pm

You said old, not me, Dave..... :D

The SX basses I had previously were sold almost immediately. Not bad workmanship, just dead spots. This Brice short scale however, is freakin' makin' me drool:

I also wouldn't mind this one as I would like a cheap 5 string but it probably has major dead spots:

I don't like buying basses sight unseen.

Lynn - Dave Cooper - Very nice, Dave.

Biotch - Dave Chick - Synth-mania here. Nice riff based tune...overall pro sound. Lyrics were the weakest part, but a very minor nit. Great job, Dave.

Taking ones time to do it right is difficult....It's hard enough to just write and play the damn tune, let alone engineer it.

Kathleen and The Silver Screen - Dave Watson - This guy sounds like Richmond from "IT Crowd" :P
....this real band thing looks like one hell of a tool for non riff based songwriting....I find the PG website very hard on the eyes, however. Cool software though! I may just pop fer it someday.
OK, the song....I like the delay on the guitar. Very coolish word play here. Not sure what that booming thing at the end was. :shock:
Great sax...software, eh? I'm off to listen to his realband song...... 8)

DAVE!
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

EMerrow
new to this board
new to this board

Post by EMerrow » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:30 pm

Great show guys, I really enjoyed all the songs.

I had never heard of gomez before but I really enjoyed the song you guys analyzed. I'll have to check out some more of them.

The bass player in my band has bought two guitars from rondomusic, he got an agile hornet (flying v) and a jazzmaster-ish looking bass, and he really likes both of them.

Keep up the good work!

-Eric
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:55 am

Hey Guys. Great comments and many thanks! Tony and I love 'em.
Sungodv wrote:The SX basses I had previously were sold almost immediately. Not bad workmanship, just dead spots. This Brice short scale however, is freakin' makin' me drool:
Thanks Steve. I am really going back and forth on these. You are so right that dead spots are very important on a bass. Guitars are much more forgiving, imo. A bass just has to feel right and play right. I use so much subtle touch when I play bass, pressing harder for some notes, lighter for others. Plus, you play with your fingers mostly. Bass playing is all about nuance and dead spots definitely don't help. Maybe I should start by buying a Rondo guitar (that I really don't need). ;)
Zoetrope wrote: By analogy, if I see a Hollywood movie, I want more than computer generated explosions. There has to be a damned good story and damned good acting. Otherwise, what's the point?
Great point Zoetrope. It is easy to get sold on the packaging with music. I love the melody of that Gomez song but lyrically there isn't much there. I think that is what has been so enlightening about these "Pro Song" segments. You really see what these tunes are made of and if they stand up to close scrutiny.

Don't worry about slamming my picks either everyone. I really don't care. It is interesting to hear the responses and I would definitely take a negative response over no response. This show is all about us all learning things about songwriting and I think this helps.

Great songs this week everyone!!

Lynn - Dave Cooper
- Lovely, heartfelt song. You can hear the truth in this one. That always shines through.

B!tch - Dave Chick
- Good job Trent. Once again, talent oozes from Mr. Chick. I am so happy you are writing more songs with lyrics (as opposed to the scoring). Keep it up. You are making some great tunes!

- As I said, this one wowed me. Clever, strong theme for a song. Totally took me by surprise. This is the kind of creativity that I love on the HMHS that is missing from most pop songs. Nice work all around Dave!

Dave
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:54 pm

The Dave Show! Fantastic!

If anyone has ever seen The Kids in the Hall, they've seen Bruce McCoulloch's song: These are the Dave's I Know. Classic Canadian humour.

Dave Cooper - what a beautifully recorded song. I sure hope she liked it! ;) As Dave and others mentioned, very heartfelt lyrics and delivery - very touching and oozing emotion. I wish I had the chops to accompany myself on guitar like that. Great stuff!

Re: lyrics and singing - yeah, I guess it's hard to sit down after crafting a song with all your heart and sing your lyrics without making sure you enunciate them so that the message gets across - don't want to get anything missed huh? Yeah - would love to sing like Chris Cornell (Soundgarden/Audioslave), but, alas ... not possible. Guess it takes a lot of gigging under your belt and ability to really inject some attitude into your performances to get to a point where enunciation isn't so important.

Rhyme Zone - love that site. Although I gave up on rhyming anything in B!tch - anytime I tried, it felt as though the song was getting too cutesy... The only time I rhymed was in the chorus - "see" rhymes really well with ... "see" - brilliant I thought!

Thanks for the comments on my tune all - truly appreciate all the feedback.

5 Questions with Dave Watson - I would love to spend an evening in a pub with Mr. Watson! I'm thinking it'd be mixed with fantastic conversation and being tied up in stitches from laughing so much. Wonderful straight wit in that segment. Band in a Box - man, I remember looking at that with one of my profs from undergrad when he was putting together a MIDI studio. It's cool they're still around and producing their products - I guess a testament on how to run a music-based company right!

Gomez's GirlShapedLoveDrug - a cool little ditty. Yes, very catchy, but had to agree with Tony that I'd have ended it a bit sooner. Don't know whether they're trying to be a pop group, or aiming towards the math-geek/prog-rockish kind of thing.

Dave Watson - love the dichotomy of writing a girl-song with a wife! :)

... wow... simply, wow. Brilliant story, brilliant songwriting. I got drawn in right away by the lyrics and the production right away and couldn't even drag myself away if I tried.

Great show guys!
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:15 pm

Don't worry about slamming my picks either everyone. I really don't care. It is interesting to hear the responses and I would definitely take a negative response over no response. This show is all about us all learning things about songwriting and I think this helps.
Glad to hear you have a thick skin, because I was also going to comment on that shirt you're wearing. It sucks. Tony told me not to say anything. And those pants. And shoes. Actually that whole outfit. Take it back to Goodwill and get a refund.

See Tony, he's taking it really well!
:roll:

And yes, I'm amazed you guys resisted the temptation to play a clip from "These are the Daves I know". I agree with chckn8r, it's a classic.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:44 pm

criddlerus wrote:You are so right that dead spots are very important on a bass. Guitars are much more forgiving, imo. A bass just has to feel right and play right. I use so much subtle touch when I play bass, pressing harder for some notes, lighter for others.
On the subject of basses, I found this from the current issue of Tape Op (#68) of interest. This is how Paul Orofino records bass for heavy metal songs:
I usually record the bass with with a tube DI . . . and then into an amplifier. The bass amp is usually one of my old Ampeg SVTs with one 8 by 10 cabinet. Depending on the sound I'm after I mic the cabinet, only one of the 10 inch speakers . . . using only one mic. I place that mic pretty close to the speaker, then placed just behind the same speaker I use the Yamaha SubKick. Now at this point I am printing the DI, the mic and the SubKick all to separate tracks. If the bass part has a lot of percussion (slaps, etc.) I will then tape a Countryman lavalier mic to the body of the bass guitar to get all the slaps and resonance off the bass body, and print that also to a separate track so that can be blended in later in the mix.
There's more, believe it or not. (Page 58 if you're interested). Kind of mind blowing how much work he's putting into just the bass. That's more than I put into recording a whole song.

And I've mentioned this before, but if anyone here isn't subscribing to Tape Op, get yourself over to http://tapeop.com and sign up. It's free, and it's a great magazine.

Oh, and Dave, I'm starting to like that shirt. Forget what I said earlier.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Yeah, it's a great mag, but the print is made out of recycled M&M's.....it melts off on yer fingers / hands. :evil:
And which Dave are you talking too? :?
A DI (not tube) by Behringer can be had for $20. You can then do the DI / Mic thing with a TonePort UX2 and an extra XLR cable....if you are so inclined.
I think the UX2 sounds pretty good by itself for bass......but I bought a DI for experimentation.
0 x
My Songs

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:28 pm

I have done the mic the amp + DI thing before and the two sounds do compliment each other very well. Same thing with a pickup and a mic on an acoustic guitar. The mic get's a warm/fat sound and the pickup/di gets a sharp and defined sound. Combining them can make for a knockout sound. If you record them both, you can use the levels like an EQ. That is definitely worth the extra effort if you are trying to get an exceptional sound.

Like Zoetrope though, I rarely put that kind of effort in these days. And, like Steve, I use the Toneport most of the time and get a pretty darn good sound. And to throw another name out there, Tony and I both arrived at the idea recently to NOT use a bass amp setting on the Toneport. Tony created a good patch with just a compressor and no amp. I made a good one with the Bass Distortion going into a Modern Console instead of a bass amp. Both give a very clean and sharp sound, which I what I usually want in a bass sound.

Dave

P.S. Zoetrope, you have the ugliest haircut I have ever seen.
0 x