HMHS 143 - Even More Famous Than Ever Patrick (1/8/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: HMHS 143 - Even More Famous Than Ever Patrick (1/8/09)

Post by Polly » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:28 am

criddlerus wrote: Lyrics are definitely the hardest part.
Aren't human beings strange? :D For me lyrics are the easiest part. I find melodies, a chord progression more difficult. I find bridges very hard to build in. I'd say I am good at writing hooks but either they're cheesy or I make them cheesy. If I have a musical skill it's making a dull tune more commercial. I think I do that from time to time.

But lyrics... I can produce them to order. At my open mic night i can improvise songs on the spot. I recently improvised a blues song on the theme of the CERN particle accelerator and the quest for the Higgs boson. :roll:

If anything I commit the sin of over complicating them.

Whilst starting a new song the lyrics will be there almost as soon as I have an interesting riff/chord change, if not straight away.
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

GeeJay
Jedi
Jedi

Post by GeeJay » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Just a quick comment from me!

Just wanted to say I enjoyed the music, but most of all, I have my own nickname for Famous Patrick.........................

"The Wise Man of Minnesota"

Give him a subject, he has something wise to say about it!

A great show for putting everything into perspective, thanks DC, FP (TWMOM), and TB.

Gary.
0 x
My Soundclick Page

GeeJay said "I need to change my avatar!"

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:23 pm

storpotaten wrote:Fascinating stories from a fascinating musician. And some great music! Very impressed by the lyrics. BiB can apparently be more than a toy in the right hands.
Thanks for the kind words! :oops:

I do like playing with words, but still, lyrics are always the hardest part for me. BIAB is an excellent tool, and so deep that I still am only using a small part of its potential.

Hey, when can we expect another tune from my favorite veggies? :?:
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:29 pm

davecooper wrote::lol: Hi

That was a very interresting show with some really good music.

I love the production and sounds you produced Patrick also love the name.

Al the songs were first class particularly liked Leaf on the wind, real rocker .
Thanks, Dave.

Yeah, that's my favorite of the bunch. I have to remix and re-record the lead guitar, add some harmony. I'm hoping to see if some of the local biker bands might be interested in doing it.
0 x
Famous Patrick

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:34 pm

G33K wrote:Great show!

It was cool to hear from Patrick for a whole show, to hear about the album in a month thingy, and to check out the impressive tunes he turned out in that short time....

Nice work!

Patrick also has a lot of great insight into the creative process, so it's a valuable listen as well, and I took some knowledge away from it.
Thanks for the comments, G33k, I enjoy your contributions as well. As for the insight into the creative process, mine is constantly evolving, but it seems to work well for me at the moment. I love hearing about others' process, and I have learned a hell of a lot from the other contributors. I wish I had more time to hang out at the New Songs forum - the few times I have I picked up a lot of good ideas.
0 x
Famous Patrick

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Polly wrote:Half way through this show but I have to chip in as I'm already forgetting comments I wanted to make. I'm really enjoying this one, I don't agree with your lack of talent line really. I sit down to write a song and could easily say 'damn I'm no McCartney/Dylan' etc, your talent is pretty evident I reckon. And I'm not just being fulsome here. :D
Thanks. I'm not being disingenuous here, I was referring to my lack of talent as a musician; I've gone a long way on hard work and acceptance of my limitations. I do believe that I have some talent as a songwriter, especially the kind of clever wordplay and catchy tune type. Maybe I should look into writing advertising jingles?
Polly wrote:I love the stories of how things just lead to other things and then it runs out of steam so you have to move on. I wish I'd done more in my time. I'm a teacher, middle manager, and the money's quite good. The downside of it all is that I'm too safe. What do i want on my grave stone; 'Here lies John Poulton, he sure knew how to pay his mortgage'? :(
One of my favorite sayings is, "If you don't do it, you'll never know what might have happened if you did." Having said that, I am not always grabbing for the stars. I had a ticket to Woodstock and didn't go because I was too chicken to hitchhike from Milwaukee to New York. :oops:
Polly wrote:LOL when listening to the constant break ups and reformations of the line ups. Reminds me of an quote I like "The only constant feature of your dissatisfying relationships is you". I recommend you check out http://despair.com/viewall.htmlfor a very amusing browse. Give it 2 minutes and you'll be hooked.
I'll check it out! Thanks for the recommendation. :)
Polly wrote:Really liked the 'Ladies Night' song, an endearing story that I 'got inside of'. 8)
I've known a few characters like that guy. There was a time that I thought that I would be him, if I was lucky. However, being married to Babe changed all of that. I am not kidding when I say that she is too good for me.
Polly wrote:Band in the box gets mentioned again. I must have a fish for this one. Is it Mac only like garage band. I bet they'll have a free trial version. :shock:
Oh, yeah, it's for both PC and Mac, and they've got trial versions. I recently upgraded to one of the top end packages that comes packaged on an 80 Gb hard drive! Besides being cool for recording, it is a great tool for learning, also.
Polly wrote:I get the point of these challenges and I've benefitted from themself, but it's still hard to commit. I've had sinus, throat, tonsil problems for 6 weeks now and not done a jot. I finally got antibiotics yesterday and hopefully I'll be back at it soon.
I had bronchitis all through the recording of these songs. I would wait until I could go for an hour without coughing, and dash for the mic! :lol: When I was playing live, I played a lot sicker than that, but nobody was recording us, so there's no lasting evidence. We used to say that there are only two reasons to not show up at the gig: if you are dead or in jail - and if you're dead, somebody has to present the body!! I have played with some pretty high fevers, and shortened more than one set for a dash to the toilet. :roll:
Polly wrote:'Allow yourself to suck' - excellent advice. I wonder if some people find they cannot re-write? If anything lends itself to working on I'd say (for me) it was the lyric. The music I'll tinker with, add to etc but, sunstantially, it won't change radically. Lyrics, l wrote 4 versions for the last song I wrote. Trying to find a theme that matched the feeling of my chords and melody. Still don't know if I've quite 'got there' and my voice is too poor to check it out just now. I have given it one outing and people said they liked it. I got a guy playing a great solo on it and that's get put down before easter I hope.
Everyone has his/her own challenges, and I wish you luck with yours. As for re-writes, Tony seems genetically indisposed to it; I can't live without it. He's got 5 gazillion songs he's written, and I have a couple dozen. Keep plugging away at it. I have two songs that should've been finished months ago, but I keep procrastinating. One of them is my song for the girl's name challenge. Of course, I'm in no hurry since I now know that deadlines here are unimportant! :rofl:
Polly wrote:A big thanks to you two for a great show here. I've really enjoyed it. ;)
And a bigger thanks to you for listening!!
0 x
Famous Patrick

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:03 pm

criddlerus wrote:
Polly wrote:The downside of it all is that I'm too safe. What do i want on my grave stone; 'Here lies John Poulton, he sure knew how to pay his mortgage'? :(
LOL!!! So true. I look back at what I did this year. Time spent with my kids is way up there, but the songs I have written definitely make me feel like I have accomplished something. ... The other thing is just to finish the darned things, even if I think they suck. Completing the process is important to grow as a writer.

Dave
I agree, in this last year I wrote 10 songs, which is 8 more than I have in the last 10 years! Hard work, but what a payoff. And finishing is so important, unless you can find a way to keep the unfinished ones from draining your psychic energy.

From a song by Tom Paxton:

I can't wait for winds to blow my way.
Let them shake the world, I know I know my way.
I know the songs that died unsung knew their way too.
Most songs do. Most songs do.

Now there's a guy who can write lyrics! :D
0 x
Famous Patrick

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:13 pm

GeeJay wrote:Just a quick comment from me!

Just wanted to say I enjoyed the music, but most of all, I have my own nickname for Famous Patrick.........................

"The Wise Man of Minnesota"

Give him a subject, he has something wise to say about it!

A great show for putting everything into perspective, thanks DC, FP (TWMOM), and TB.

Gary.
Thanks for the nice comments. I don't know about "The Wise Man of Minnesota;" more like "The Smart Ass from the Tundra" :lol: (it was 21 below zero Fahrenheit this AM, and hasn't been above freezing here December 29, and hasn't been above 10 degrees for over a week!) :!: :?: :!: :!:

As for having something to say, you know what they say about opinions and arseholes. :lol:
0 x
Famous Patrick

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:19 pm

Polly wrote:
criddlerus wrote: Lyrics are definitely the hardest part.
Aren't human beings strange? :D For me lyrics are the easiest part. I find melodies, a chord progression more difficult. I find bridges very hard to build in. I'd say I am good at writing hooks but either they're cheesy or I make them cheesy. If I have a musical skill it's making a dull tune more commercial. I think I do that from time to time.
And I'm just the opposite - tunes and structure come fairly easy, words feel like I have to rip them from my body.
Polly wrote:But lyrics... I can produce them to order. At my open mic night i can improvise songs on the spot. I recently improvised a blues song on the theme of the CERN particle accelerator and the quest for the Higgs boson. :roll:
I'd like to hear you make that one commercial :!: :lol:
Polly wrote:If anything I commit the sin of over complicating them.
Whilst starting a new song the lyrics will be there almost as soon as I have an interesting riff/chord change, if not straight away.
Show off! Oh, well, we all have our little crosses to bear, don't we? :roll:
0 x
Famous Patrick

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:54 pm

[quote="Polly] But lyrics... I can produce them to order. At my open mic night i can improvise songs on the spot. I recently improvised a blues song on the theme of the CERN particle accelerator and the quest for the Higgs boson. :roll: [/quote]

You know, I think that night was recorded, unless I scrubbed it. I'll have a look see and I'll post it if I find it! :lol:
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm

I should remember to say I liked the show also :)

I can also improvise lyrics pretty well but as I will/have mentioned on this weeks show having read all these rhyming tips and what have you it's become a lot easier because I have more options that are slowly sinking in.
0 x

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:07 pm

tonyoci wrote:I should remember to say I liked the show also :)

I can also improvise lyrics pretty well but as I will/have mentioned on this weeks show having read all these rhyming tips and what have you it's become a lot easier because I have more options that are slowly sinking in.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

Aaaaand ... I have noticed that the attention to lyrical content has increased, although I think it has more to do with the song analysis segments than the rhyming tips. Either way, Tony, w00t w00t
0 x
Famous Patrick