HMHS 151 - It's All About Me (3/6/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 151 - It's All About Me (3/6/09)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:55 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com for the show
Please keep sending your songs, comments, ideas, segments and everything else in between. Thanks
-----------------------------------------------------

A songwriting show made by me, about me, extensively featuring me and even featuring someone pretending to be me (oh and "not cool" Dave Criddle).

This weeks pro song, which I liked, was Justify by The Rasmus

Plenty of home made music this week

* The Home Made Hit Show Song - Harry Stout
* Make Her Mine - The Tiddlers (aka Tony & Dave)
* Vengeance Street - Gary Davies (featuring Tony)
* Swim - The Tones (aka Tony, featuring Albert Forssall)
* Come Swim With Me (demo) - Albert Forssall (sadly not featuring Tony)
0 x

famouspatrick

Re: HMHS 151 - It's All About Me (3/6/09)

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:59 pm

I have to stay late at work tonight, so I'm getting this one out on Friday.

The Home Made Hit Show Song - Harry Stout: What's not to like? Well performed, well recorded and well written. Especially for just starting out recording, a masterful job. I liked it.

Make Her Mine - The Tiddlers: Very nice kind of early 60's vibe, reminding me a little of the Trogs or Buffalo Springfield in both the harmony and the music. And the lyric was ... interesting. :roll:

Lack of inspiration: One of the nice things about doing this as a hobby instead of doing it for a living is that if you don't feel like writing/recording, you don't have to.

Wanting to do something new and different: I think that's the reason a lot of famous musicians play on each other's albums, just to jog something in themselves and get out of a rut. Look at B. B. King - All of his recent albums have been collaborations with various other musicians/singers.

Object writing: A great way to shake loose some ideas, and also to get an idea about what you really want to write. Why write if you have nothing to say? In the '60's, a satirist named Tom Lehrer said that all he was hearing on the radio was songs about the lack of communication between people. He went on to say that if you can't communicate, the very least you should do is SHUT UP! :!:

Vengeance Street - Gary Davies: This had a very pro sound, to my ears. I liked the way GeeJay used the distorted rhythm guitar against the jangly, delayed brighter guitar. The title is very cinematic; I could picture it in my mind before the song even began. Cool. Well, except for the wanker doing the background vocals. ;) :lol:

Analysis before or after the pro song: I prefer it after; I get bored with all the commentary if I have no idea what the song is. If you do the commentary before, I just fast forward to the song, then rewind to the comments. Like I did tonight.

Justify by The Rasmus: Sounds like they did a lot of work on this song; the Rasmus be dragging! (You have to say it out loud to get the joke.) :lol: :roll: Anyway, the song didn;t do much for me, but I found it harmless. If I heard it on the radio I wouldn't change the channel.

Swim - The Tones: A rather odd one here; reminded me of some of the "poetic" songs from the hippie bands that we would sit around and listen to late at night, and not understand what the hell the song was about. This had a nice bed of music, Albert was great as usual, and Tony sounded like he was saying something profound ... but I couldn't figure out what it was. :?:

Come Swim With Me (demo) - Albert Forssall: I've got a feeling that Albert throws better stuff away than I will ever be able to record. I liked everything about this one; it's the style of music that I like to listen to and play, and he does it so well. Nice one on ya, dude! :!: :!:

Damn! The shows and the songs just keep getting better and better. Good job. :!: :cheer:

And Dave ... cool is a state of mind. 8) Cool is as cool does. 8) Take it easy ... but take it! :!: 8)
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:44 am

• The Home Made Hit Show Song - Harry Stout

Great job on this, and I have to agree with the sentiment.
  • Make Her Mine - The Tiddlers (aka Tony & Dave)

I like the rock organ. This has an overall 60s sound but with a modern twist. I also like the competition between the two singers, it adds drama to the song. Very clever. Nice one gents.
  • 5 questions

Sounded like Tony to me.
  • Vengeance Street - Gary Davies (featuring Tony)

Really cool sounding song. I like whatever it is you did to get that vocal sound. And the guitar part that plays in the right speaker is great. Great one.
  • Pro song

Um, where's the pro song? Oh, there it is. Kind of confusing to hear the review before the song. Not bad, not great, not really memorable.
  • Swim - The Tones (aka Tony, featuring Albert Forssall)

I like the build and the contrast between the spoken verses and the sung chorus.
  • Come Swim With Me (demo) - Albert Forssall (sadly not featuring Tony)

Nice bouncy feel to this. It's cool to hear the same chorus used in two different songs.
Rock on.
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:07 am

famouspatrick wrote:mn! The shows and the songs just keep getting better and better. Good job. :!: :cheer:
Thanks! Nice to hear!
famouspatrick wrote:And Dave ... cool is a state of mind. 8) Cool is as cool does. 8) Take it easy ... but take it! :!: 8)
You are right of course. Sometimes I forget that. Didn't I learn anything in High School? :)
0 x

Frozenman
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Frozenman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:35 am

Another great show!! Great songs as usual :) I'm a "Newbie" here and just want to give a hello shout to everyone and say thank you to each and every artist for your musical compositions... I absolutely love all the different song styles - each one so unique in it's own way...I have listened to every show so far and, honestly, I find something positive in every single song..I am new to recording and am learning so much here in regard to the art of song writing...You have all truly inspired me:)

Dave: Wow...didn't know you had another podcast for recording tips...now I have another 50 podcast episodes to listen to...lol... seriously, you seem to have a world of knowledge when it comes to recording....I can definately to learn a lot from you to make my recordings better....checked out your website...holy crap! You guys rock!! Love the Bowie show...I used to play that stuff at the college frat parties with my band back in the 70's..brought back a few memories for sure.

Tony and Dave: Thank you SO much for playing my "Home Made Hit Show Song"... for a moment I was truly a star..lol....my wife and our friends listened to the whole show (wonderful songs from everyone by the way) and thanks to your wonderful comments my wife now believes I am actually doing something when I go into my music room and shut the door as opposed to her thinking of me just hiding in there and watching guy stuff on tv or something.. I think this has also extended my "wife credit approval rating" so I may actually wind up with some desperately needed items I need for recording... See?...Good things happen with good shows:)

I look forward to sending a few more songs in for both of your perspectives..that way I will stay on the right track...can't wait for the next show...Radio sucks...that's why "I like the Home Made Hit Show Better Than My Radio" lol

Thanks Everyone!!! Cya- and much love to all - from the "Frozen Man" in Minnesota (where 20 degrees is considered a heat wave)
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:17 pm

The Home Made Hit Show Song - Harry Stout - :loud: Outstanding song.

Damn, more music right off that bat.

:stick:

Make Her Mine - The Tiddlers (aka Tony & Dave) - :bliss: :^: Really well done. I like it. Outstanding song. Shouldn't the title be "I Wrote This Song For Her" - or "I Saw Her First" - ?

The show is inspiring. It makes me want to go write a song. That's good for me and perhaps bad for the rest of you.

Dave, you're 8) . This song is 8) . It's e-poppy. Nothing wrong with that.

That's my big problem. I don't have any alone time. My wife is teaching all day classes this semester. While I still can't sing in front of anyone, that's not the problem. I could sing if she were on the second floor (while I'm in basement), but it's the noises that ruin any recordings (water running, foot steps, etc.). But, since you never know who reads this stuff, it's good to have her home. :hammer:

I read that George Harrison said that Dylan told him to never go back and redo an old song. I don't know how good that advice is, but that's what I read.

Man, I love those Brit accents, especially the child's. :metal:

Vengeance Street - Gary Davies (featuring Tony) - Man, this is a superb song. I love everything about it. Attitude, vibes, lyrics, vocals (backup vocals too), drums, and especially that dangerous guitar. :^: :bow:

I've got to admit I'm not a big fan of the pro-song bit. I like the home recorded songs and discussion regarding those songs and other songwriting topics. But that's just me. Carry on.

Swim - The Tones (aka Tony, featuring Albert Forssall) - I remember this oldie. I forget my past comments on it, so I will listen with new ears.

Albert has a band. That lucky duck. Good luck, Albert. I hope you guys do a full scale version of "Life On A Beach".

Oh, this is a new version. This should be interesting.

I'm looking at my poor dust covered PS-04 right now. :cry:

Okay, The Tones version first. I remember this. Cool music. It's a good song in total. I really like that chorus. The music is great too. I've never been a big fan of the talking story song. I think that is similar to my original comments from several years ago. But it's just me and my opinion.

Ah! "Life On A Beach" gets mentioned. It's still in my TOP Ten of all time favorite home recorded songs (heck, my Top Ten of all songs).

Outstanding lines, Albert. Gold Star all the way.

Come Swim With Me (demo) - Albert Forssall (sadly not featuring Tony) - This is really cool. I love the Island funky feel. Man, so simple and yet so full of life. Albert, you are the man. :bow: :stick:

It's like revisting the "Life On A Beach" beach and it is now a well populated tourist spot. I love this one.

Good show, lads.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks to all so far. Harry in a weird and circular world you inspire us of course (but don't list to Dave's other shows because I wasn't on them - much :)) Validation to the wife, wow we really do have some power these days.

I recommend InsideHomeRecording if you're looking for another podcast that features home recording tips etc. Dave Chick, who usually posts here, is the co-host.

Cracks, it should definitely have been called I Wrote This Song, that's what I called it in the original file and the typed up lyrics, but then Criddle got hold of it and that was that.

I think we will try brief comments, followed by pro song, followed by some more comments.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Back for second listen to songs, in particular:

Make Her Mine - The Tiddlers (aka Tony & Dave)
Vengeance Street - Gary Davies (featuring Tony)
Come Swim With Me (demo) - Albert Forssall

All great hits. Man, Albert, two chords (with a third chord thrown in). That's amazing.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

ferret
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by ferret » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:36 pm

At last! I used to nag on at Tony about putting his own stuff on the show, but he’s a stubborn bugger and I concluded that I was wasting my breath.
This is a really good show with some interesting and amusing backchat too.
And of course some very solid songs.
Tiddlers – nice stuff gents.
Vengeance Street – great song. Boy, any decent lyricist would kill for that title. Well done!
Justify – hmmm…keine punkte.
Swim – loved this and still do.
Come Swim with me – great work, Albert. You just move on from strength to strength. Remember to tell me if your new band ever crosses the border to play in France!
Maybe after another 150 episodes Tony could be persuaded to do a show of his own material as performed by the Tones....
0 x
I am not mad. Just differently sane.

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:41 pm

I believe Albert lives in France :)

The Tones needs to concentrate of trying to get some new songs, not reliving past glories.

Thanks Ferret, haven't heard from you here for a while 8)
0 x

ferret
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by ferret » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi Tony,
In my muddled mind I had Albert located in Switzerland, for some reason.
But I must correct an ommission in my comments: the opening song! What a solid rock sizzler. I look forward to hearing more from Harry Stout.
Cheers,
Ferret
0 x
I am not mad. Just differently sane.

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:16 am

Good show, and it got even better towards the end. 8)

Dave - thanks for the "take the edge off" amp emulator idea, it improves the mix for my new song.

That Rasmus' song really had a very clear mix. How do they do that? :?

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my little demo.
0 x

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 am

The Cracks wrote:T
I read that George Harrison said that Dylan told him to never go back and redo an old song. I don't know how good that advice is, but that's what I read.
Well, if Dylan said that, he sure doesn't practice what he preaches. He is constantly changing the way he does songs; style, tempo, key, etc. He'll take one of his folkier numbers and rock it, then do a rocker as a ballad. Quite changeable is our Bobby.
0 x
Famous Patrick

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:15 am

famouspatrick wrote:
Well, if Dylan said that, he sure doesn't practice what he preaches. He is constantly changing the way he does songs; style, tempo, key, etc. He'll take one of his folkier numbers and rock it, then do a rocker as a ballad. Quite changeable is our Bobby.
Dylan does change the song during live shows. Maybe he was referring to rerecording songs in the studio?

I probably heard it in a George Harrison interview posted on Youtube. I'll try to hunt it down if I get a chance. Don't hold your breath though.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:20 am

The Cracks wrote:
famouspatrick wrote:
Dylan does change the song during live shows. Maybe he was referring to rerecording songs in the studio?

I probably heard it in a George Harrison interview posted on Youtube. I'll try to hunt it down if I get a chance. Don't hold your breath though.
Oh, I don't doubt that Dylan said it, I just meant to say that he is consistently inconsistent. :roll:
0 x
Famous Patrick

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:22 pm

Great show guys
* The Home Made Hit Show Song - Harry StoutA cracking debut Harry. BTW - Are you stout or is that your preferred tipple? None of my business I guess. It could be your real name as well, that sometimes does happen. Glad you joined up Harry, you clearly have talent. I imagine you had a lot of fun setting up. One criticism! What's all this 'read the manuals' nonsense. :look: ? You're missing all the fun of cursing and swearing at the pc/amp/mic and blaming the manufacturer for their crappy equipment. I bought a Creative Zen X-Fi mp3 player this weekend. Spent 10 hours trying to get the b*****d to work. Still haven't looked at the instructions. :D

I want an Epiphone Les Paul. I my be treating myself for my birthday this summer.

* Make Her Mine - The Tiddlers (aka Tony & Dave)
I really liked the chorus on this one. It is a damn good hook; well done chaps. And you sound good singing together. You should do it again I reckon.

Cool? :look: I think that's hard to achieve. Indie and mysterious. Hmmm. I think one shouldn't try to be anything, people might spot the effort - and I think cool is effortless. In fact honesty is its own cool in a way. I have sung my songs, played my tracks, to the kids at school. Many ex-pupils have me on their myspace and say they like my songs etc. I'm not cool, but i think one thing they like is that I'm this 50 (nearly :evil: ) year old teacher who writes songs, sings in pubs and has a CD out. Some of 'em bought the cd too. Crid - you're the coolest Crid I know! :clap: What else can we be?

The dreaded block.
I've had it I think but not as big as Tony seems to have it these days. I just saw it as part of the journey of being a song writer. I drove to Tuscany once (2000 miles from my home - ish) Parts of the journey were drab but there were gems to be discovered on the way - and it made getting there all the more special. More so than flying. Next time I'm gonna walk it. 8)

Dave talking to somebody else.
Congratulations on the weirdest section you've done in 151 shows.

Dang. Gotta go. Tea's ready. Ham, potato and leek bake with cheese and garlic. :shock:
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Polly wrote: Dang. Gotta go. Tea's ready. Ham, potato and leek bake with cheese and garlic. :shock:
That sounds like quite a substantial blend of flavors for one cuppa! Beats the snot out of my chamomile. :!:
0 x
Famous Patrick