HMHS 152 - Writing Songs on Your Casio Keyboard (3/13/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
decleater
new to this board
new to this board

Re: HMHS 152 - Writing Songs on Your Casio Keyboard (3/13/09)

Post by decleater » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:05 pm

I really enjoyed the Jarvis Cocker interview. It shows how creativity can really take you far even without the technical side. A lot of my favorite bands and singers aren't the best technically, and some are pretty bad technically, but they make up for it with great songs and by taking chances. Like he said, simple songs really can be the best. Definitely inspiration for a crappy musician like myself...

Is this Songbook show only available in the UK? I would love to see some of these...

Great show guys!
0 x

Dave King

Post by Dave King » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:20 pm

decleater wrote:

Is this Songbook show only available in the UK? I would love to see some of these...
Yeah, good question!
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:22 pm

It's only available in the UK (and you're favorite bit torrent site of choice)

Thanks for all the great comments as usual guys.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:25 am

joepop wrote:I like the sound of the piano too. That's what acoustic piano is supposed to sound like. It is only since everyone started using digital pianos that they got all bright and jangly. The Beatles had the best piano on their records and it was always meaty sounding.
I have to agree with you there. Piano, like acoustic guitar, is a tough one to get right. But when it is right you sure hear the difference.
0 x

Dave King

Post by Dave King » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:53 pm

I enjoyed this show a lot.

The opening song was very good. I agree with an earlier poster here who said that it sounded "pro." I would leave it alone as is, as an acoustic tune.

I saw that movie, "Once" a while back. I thought it was alright, but became a bit tedious. The storyline was pretty shallow. But the music was good - especially the tune played here on HMHS. I think the vocal performance makes it a success as much as anything.

The segment on compression was informative. However, the segment itself could have used some compression. The dynamic range between Dave's spoken parts and the musical examples was huge - made me lunge for the volume control in my car.

The last song cracked me up. I don't know if it was supposed to be funny, but it just struck me that way. Funny stuff.

Finally, I think Tony should take it easy on Dave. I feel sometimes that Tony's acerbic wit goes a little too far. Anyone agree?

Cheers!
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Dave King wrote:Finally, I think Tony should take it easy on Dave. I feel sometimes that Tony's acerbic wit goes a little too far. Anyone agree?
Absolutely not. I am me and Dave and I are good friends. He might get extra bad treatment this week now :)
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:43 pm

tonyoci wrote:Absolutely not. I am me and Dave and I are good friends. He might get extra bad treatment this week now :)
LOL - DaveK, that's just Tony. You should see what he emails me after an IHR podcast... (and I don't even work with him) If ya don't take him with a big chunk o' salt, then you'll be sniveling in the corner whispering incomprehensible things to yourself. ;)
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:29 pm

See now you are disparaging my reputation. Dave Crids I abuse for sure. Dave Chick I send constructive comments (mostly my own thoughts these days).

Join the Anti-Dave-League !!
0 x

Dave King

Post by Dave King » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:20 pm

I think us "Dave's" need to band together to thwart the Evil Empire!
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Dave's could be an overwhelming force. Good looking, good breeding, excellent pitch. Us Daves have a lot going for us. We will force Tony to cower! :twisted: Maybe we should do an all Daves song?

Tony and I are just having fun. Tony turns up the sharp barbs and I play the straight man for HMHS. We are good buds.
0 x

Dave King

Post by Dave King » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:03 pm

An "ALL DAVE'S SONG" ???

I"M IN!!!
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:27 pm

tonyoci wrote:Dave Chick I send constructive comments (mostly my own thoughts these days).
All kidding aside - yes, Tony does send regular and useful comments that I truly appreciate!
criddlerus wrote:Dave's could be an overwhelming force. Good looking, good breeding, excellent pitch. Us Daves have a lot going for us. We will force Tony to cower! :twisted: Maybe we should do an all Daves song?
I like this idea, however, we already have a theme song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQRmHgExV0
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 am

John Sotter - Alone: I pretty much agree with Dave on this one. I liked the play on words with "solo" and "so low", music was terrific, well recorded, and the voice was very interesting.

Jarvis Cocker on writing songs with a cheap casio keyboard: I've got no idea whatsoever who this dude is. However, I find it encouraging that he apparently writes good songs without being a very good musician. I am going to try his "Casio" method on my Yamaha; sounds like fun.

Tony's chord: Sounds like you're describing a DMaj7

Writing on guitar yields "guitar songs": I agree that when one writes on a certain instrument, it tends to yield a certain kind of result, based largely on one's skill level with that instrument.

Harry Stout - Best Days of Our Lives: Nice song, and the tone on the guitar was good; bummer about the buzz.

"Falling Slowly" from the great movie "Once": Finally, a song I have actually heard before! I like the way, at the very end, that the piano is kind of mimicking the guitar style from the start of the piece, at the same time that the guitar is simplifying and fading. And, yeah, this guys voice is unique and drenched in color. The song is very well written, sung, and arranged. I can only take so many of these slow, heartfelt songs at a time, but this one is definitely at the head of the pack.

Dave Criddle on Compression: Nice start. It would be nice if there was a way to hear the examples in full resolution, instead of the mp3.

Screaming Angel - Life: I'm not too familiar with this style, but it does sound like he is having a good time, and it sounds like he means the lyric. I also like the way it gets quiet at the end.

Hmm ... short post, for me; not a lot to say this week.

Another good one, guys. Thanks.
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:54 am

famouspatrick wrote:Dave Criddle on Compression: Nice start. It would be nice if there was a way to hear the examples in full resolution, instead of the mp3.
Yeah, that is always a problem with doing these kinds of segments. The details can be lost on the MP3. I try to "overdo" the examples to exaggerate the differences because I know the really subtle stuff won't come over from my experience doing Home Recording Odyssey.
0 x

Dave King

Post by Dave King » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:46 pm

I thought the examples demonstrated the application of compression to the vocal track very well.
0 x

screamingangel
new to this board
new to this board

Post by screamingangel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:10 pm

Screaming Angel- This actually grew on me. When it first started I heard na na na na Batman! I love how parts of this are sung like The Buzzcocks and then he switches over into a Henry Rollins style.
LOL I thought that was pretty funny! I never thought of it that way, now I can't get the damn tv theme out of my head!!
I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments, especially to Tony and Dave for having me on their show. It's terrific being on a podcast that's devoted to home recording...

Peace.

Screamingangel

:loud:
0 x