HMHS 168 - There's a lot you can do in one minute (7/30/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 168 - There's a lot you can do in one minute (7/30/09)

Post by tonyoci » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:39 pm

http://www.homemadehitshow.com for the show

EDIT TO ADD: Criddle's Track: http://www.homemadehitshow.com/CriddleO ... mental.mp3

It's a short attention span home songwriting extravaganza. 10 songs in around 10 minutes.

Keep an eye on the forums, and the forum off-topic area. Read those music magazines. Remember the "Place Name" challenge and send your one minute songs in if you have them - try it's it's extremely liberating.

Let us know if you want to add lyrics and vocals to Dave's tune.

Budumdum - Grandma Melonhead (1:25)
Til The End - Sean John Tully Cracks (1:13)
Dumbtimes I Feel Some - Grandma Melonhead (1:00)
Ugly Joe - The Tones (1:18)
OK I'm So Ugly - Melonhead (1:24)
Come and Be My Siamese Twin - Albert Forssell (1:03)
Down - Grandma Melonhead (1:23)
Rent Day - Ornaith O'Dowd (1:02)
Your Swimsuit - Grandma Melonhead (42 seconds)
Bullets and Flowers - The Tones (1:30)
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMHS 168 - There's a lot you can do in one minute (7/30/09)

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:30 pm

Budumdum - Grandma Melonhead (1:25)
This is the sort of crazy goodness we've come to expect from our favorite melon headed grandma. This would work well as the soundtrack for a crazy animated film.

Til The End - Sean John Tully Cracks (1:13)
A little Nick Cave in this. Always good to hear a new one from The Cracks.

Dumbtimes I Feel Some - Grandma Melonhead (1:00)
I like the unexpected chord changes.

Ugly Joe - The Tones (1:18)
The backup vocals make this one. What a great sound this has.

OK I'm So Ugly - Melonhead (1:24)
Haha. Another "Ugly" song. I'm loving these 1 minute-ish songs.

Come and Be My Siamese Twin - Albert Forssell (1:03)
Nice bouncy tune.

Down - Grandma Melonhead (1:23)
GM is Peter, Paul, AND Mary. This is a cool tune.

Dave's vocal-free song
Sounds great. The vocal should have a megaphone effect on it. And there should be a squeeling tires sound effect. Rock on!

Rent Day - Ornaith O'Dowd (1:02)
Part of the Irish Invasion! I like this song. A little Belle and Sebastian sounding, a little Cranberries. Good job.

Your Swimsuit - Grandma Melonhead (42 seconds)
Oh yeah, we're going below one minute!

Bullets and Flowers - The Tones (1:30)
Another great one.

Great show, I liked all the songs. Too bad I was too lazy to do a Zoetrope Minute, since that would fit the theme.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Budumdum - Grandma Melonhead (1:25) - This is cool sound. Zappa meets the Beatles.

I was thinking about this while walking to work today. The one minute song is short, but the songs stick in the mind more, it seems to me.

Ha! You gave a nod to the new name (old name, just legal now). Thanks.

Til The End - Sean John Tully Cracks (1:13) - Thanks for playing the new version that I sent. P. S. This version is 1:03. I cut two rounds off at the end. :D

Dumbtimes I Feel Some - Grandma Melonhead (1:00) - This is another Beatle type offering. More like McCartney solo. I like this a lot. Nice guitar and vocals.

I just read an article the other day saying iPods are on the same road as the 8 track and VHS. Apparently Apple is coming out with some new type of player in September.

Okay, I've got to go out. I'll come back later this evening.

Here is a link to an article on the iPod class (not sure what that is):

Is the iPod Classic an Endangered Species?

http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/2009/ ... -iPod.html

Ugly Joe - The Tones (1:18) - Cool beat. Nice bass. Very catchy. Great guitar (as usual). Very good song. Nice vocals and harmonies.

OK I'm So Ugly - Melonhead (1:24) - Man, you must have been in a Beatles groove. This has a lot of Beatles to it too. Circa '68 or so. Good work. Whoops. Frank Zappa comes back in at the end. Cool.

I like the one minute song. I'm thinking of just doing a whole "album" of them. Maybe a rock opera type deal. :?:

It is easier knowing it had to be one minute. Yes, they can be doubled. This is a tip that I've never heard before. Who gets the copyright on this one? Great tip: Shoot for a one minute song and let it take you in whatever direction it goes.

I've got to say, I'm pleased with the lyrics in my one minute song. I'm not patting myself on the back, but they just came out in in one sitting. "Your tsunami love swamps my heart," that's not bad. ;)

I'm loving my QChord. I can just strum out a melody, which is usually what I use as a guide for singing. I still practice guitar almost every day (5-15 minutes a day), but I haven't even tried writing anything on it in months. I just don't want to forget how to play.

Come and Be My Siamese Twin - Albert Forssell (1:03) - This reminds me of Groucho Marx. Very clever. Good ukulele (?). Nice double vocals.

Down - Grandma Melonhead (1:23) - Another nice one, Melonhead. This one sounds like really great country (not top 40 stuff). Chris Isaak?

I'm thinking Grandma Melonhead has found an good groove with the one minute songs. I'm going back for another listen. It was that good. Yea, that was good.

Dave, this is good. I'd take a stab at it but I have to admit that I still (still!) have my cold lingering. I have no voice at this time (again).

Tony, I agree for the most part. I usually don't learn alot about actual writing songs from reading. But I do get inspired to write songs by hearing what the pros have to say about the process. "Song Man" is a good example.

I like reading about the musicians (tours, albums, etc.) more than the processes.

Sold the tickets! Where was it, Tony? S.F.?

I'm going to see Paul McCartney Saturday night. I'm pretty pumped up.

Rent Day - Ornaith O'Dowd (1:02) - Lovely voice. This is very nice. Great lyrics. What a great song and all in 1:02. Can't beat that. Nice work.

Second listen: Great lyrics. Great vocals. Music just glides along nicely. Oh, that's neat. It's the same lyrics sang twice. Very good.

Your Swimsuit - Grandma Melonhead (42 seconds) - Hmm...No nits. Cool drums and guitar. That was almost like an e.e. cummings poem or something put to music.

Haven't done my place names song yet. Not sure if that's going to happen.

Bullets and Flowers - The Tones (1:30) - This is a great title. Bonoesque.

Me either Dave. I have a hard time writing lyrics like "Night Swimming" or something.

Good point, Tony. Drums are no problem for one minute. This show is chock full of tips today.

That was very cool. Lyrically, it is up there with the best of your best. Great work. Musically, it was interesting and fit perfectly with lyrics. I liked it.

Second listen: Love the drums. That really sets the mood for the great lyrics.

Great show. A very enjoyable show. Lots of tips. The one minute song can really be a way to break out of a writing rut. :agree:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:53 am

I had planned to mention this on the show but would an "album" of 1 minute songs require 40+ songs ???

How about an album of songs each one starting with a different letter or 40 1 minute songs about girls ??

Thanks for the comments. Cracks the iPod is not going away just the hard drive inside it, it's all going to flash memory.
0 x

detuned
new to this board
new to this board

Post by detuned » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:18 am

Great show as always. I think the one minute song could be the answer to writer's block. It helps to get the process moving - kind of like a "song plunger" to restore the flow of ideas.

Dave I wouldn't mind giving your unnamed song a try even though the style is way outside of what I normally write and sing. Are you going to make a separate higher quality mp3 available for us to play with?

As always, the original music on the show is new, refreshing, sometimes simple and sometimes complicated. Great job to everyone this week.

Cheers,

Brian
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:07 am

Ha! I like the image of the Song Plunger! :)

I will see if I can get Tony a high quality MP3 of my tracks for my tune so you can play with it Detuned. Thanks! After listening, I felt very lazy for not finishing the song myself. :)

Dave
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:22 am

tonyoci wrote:I had planned to mention this on the show but would an "album" of 1 minute songs require 40+ songs ???

This is a great album. 40 one minute songs. Released over 25 years ago. The Residents were truly ahead of their time.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:30 am

Zoetrope wrote:
tonyoci wrote:I had planned to mention this on the show but would an "album" of 1 minute songs require 40+ songs ???

This is a great album. 40 one minute songs. Released over 25 years ago. The Residents were truly ahead of their time.
Interesting topic. When I lived in San Francisco, my girlfriend was a big Residents fan.

See, I was thinking 12 one minutes songs, for a grand total of 12 minutes. I've always looked for the easy way out. :shock:

Tony, thanks for clearing iPod thing up. I knew I heard something, but I know nothing about them, so I didn't know what I heard.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:44 am

Zoetrope wrote:

Seems they do one minute movies too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYvAIqexGZE

In fact they've got lots of one minute songs on Youtube. They all start sounding the same after one or two of them. I've got to say the one minute songs on this week's HMHS are much better (present poster excluded, I suppose :roll: ). But, as Zoetrope said, most of this stuff was written long ago.

I've got this in common with them, I will say:

"The group purchased crude recording equipment and instruments and began to make tapes, refusing to let an almost complete lack of musical proficiency stand in the way."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Residents
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 pm

Those are the videos for the songs on the Commercial album. It is, I will admit, an acquired taste. ;)
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:23 pm

Girls in bands and now an instrumental - whatever next.

Bedlam in the studio - happy sound - Spike Jones?

"'Till the end" - I like your description, I could imagine this at the end of the night in the bar.

"Dumb Times" - Nice light listen.

"Ugly Joe" - Do you write from your life experience? I hope not.

"Ok so I'm so ugly" - Ugly seems to be a buzz word this week.

"Cab My Siamese Twin" - Ode to " Good old Spike" could be, "Milligan" - that is.

"Down" - I was going to say this one minute song thing seems to produce lighter and humourous stuff. Duh.

Daves - Could just be another instrumental - words aren't essential - are they?

"Rent day" - Very modern sound - I like.

"Your Swim Suit" - Another interesting song sound from a different epoch.

"Bullets and Flowers" - Didn't know L. Cohen wrote short songs. I reckon you could turn this into a masterpiece.

Good show - thoroughly enjoyed it
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:19 pm

The Criddle instrumental track can be found at

http://www.homemadehitshow.com/CriddleO ... mental.mp3

Leigh, if you want to get on the show with a song longer than 90 seconds then yes it has to have words :)
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:05 am

Speaking of one minute videos, here's mine for "Till The End":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhmT3ohAcw
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Grandma Melonhead
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Grandma Melonhead » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:15 am

Way too much grandma melonhead on this episode.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:08 am

Grandma Melonhead wrote:Way too much grandma melonhead on this episode.
There was only about 5 minutes ???? :)
0 x

mbrane
new to this board
new to this board

Great tubes!

Post by mbrane » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:20 am

Great tunes this time around!

Really liked Ugly Joe -- nicely put together!
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:23 am

I believe that was irony.
0 x