HMHS 169 - Fourplay (8/14/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 169 - Fourplay (8/14/09)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:30 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com, thanks for listening

HMHS 169 - Fourplay
Yes, it's a four song fantastical journey through the home songwriting world with your hosts Tony Butterworth and Dave Criddle.

Remember to send in your place name and one minute songs

Links from today.

http://www.insidehomerecording.com
http://www.songstuff.com/
http://www.brandonshire.net/metalshop/host.html
http://www.ustream.tv/
http://spinningplatters.com/

songs:

Touch The Sky - Sean Fellowes

The Way You Do - David Cooper

Song For Those Who Are Gone - Ralph Tonge Soundclick

One Night Last Summer - Les Cotton & Bjorn Nilsen
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMHS 169 - Fourplay (8/14/09)

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:40 pm

Touch The Sky - Sean Fellowes

Nice mellow song. Vocal sounds really good.

The Way You Do - David Cooper

Cool bouncy sounds.

Song For Those Who Are Gone - Ralph Tonge Soundclick

Another nice one, with a cool organ sound, and Gilmore guitar sound as Dave points out.

One Night Last Summer - Les Cotton & Bjorn Nilsen

Nice Jackson Browne sound and vibe. Well done.

Another good show gents. I'd write more but jet laaaaag has gotten the better of me. Must sleeeeeeeep. :roll:
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Touch The Sky - Sean Fellowes - Real clear recording. Nice and upbeat. Nice harmonies. Great guitar work (acoustic and electric).

12 song over and over. Not me. Another one minute song. Could be. But I'm heading down to the shore for a week Sunday, so it may not be in time for the next show.

I'd like to do a place name song, but...see above. Dave, that same train hit me too.

Plug-ins? Isn't that what I do with my electric guitar? I haven't done that for months. :?

Ustream - The pressure is mounting for a Cracks Ustream tour. :D Thanks, again. Dave, I've got tons of Youtube videos of open mic performances. You'll see why I'm not up for a Ustream tour. :shock:

The Way You Do - David Cooper - Very cool instrumentation. It actually sounds like Jarvis Cocker in many ways. Neat electric guitar. I like this song's vibe. Good one.

Song For Those Who Are Gone - Ralph Tonge - I'm not sure who this reminds me of (I only mention that because it reminds me of someone or some era). Nice vocals. Good drums too. Organ and electric guitar solo both receive high marks. Well done.

First song? I thought it was very, very good. Great future in front of you, my friend.

99.9% of my songs have lyrics written after basic song structure is created. I start adding the other instruments, backup vocals, etc., after main vocals are recorded.

I don't think I've ever written a song about an actual life experience I've had. By that I mean a blow by blow recounting of the incident, etc. But I'm sure life experiences flow in the under current of some of my songs. Who really knows?

The thing about commenting on songwriting is that once someone says something is concrete, ten people come up with 10 examples each of songs that break that rule.

Tony said "some how it worked," about the rap type song. I think that is the key to good songwriting. Write a song that works. How do you do that? Well, that puts us back on the Merry-Go-Round of opinions (see above paragraph).

Zoetrope in Paris. Sounds like a good movie.

Jamstixx again! :nuts: I love the idea, but, as Tony set me straight on a while back, they aren't as easy as they sound.

One Night Last Summer - Les Cotton & Bjorn Nilsen - This is pretty. I love the piano and guitar. Are these Jamstixx? Nice steady beat that hangs just in the background. Nice vocals too. Pretty lyrics.
I like this one. Nothing beats summer except maybe memories of summers gone by. They always get better with time. :^:

Good show. Now I've got to pack for the shore. Hopefully a chance to create some more great summer memories.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rocles » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:19 am

Thanks to Tony and Dave for playing our song :D Bjorn's full name is Bjorn Nilsen, Tony, forgot to put that in.
Dave, ok, i'm busted...I used a touch of pitch correction on the Vocal, mainly on the "Oh"s and "were" words etc, just to give it a nice smooth feel. I stand by that decision, I think in this context it works well with the overall vibe of the sound..? ...and I must say that the Vocal was not out of tune to start with, just wanted a smooth, single note in places..honest 8)

Cracks...the drums started out as a basic MIDI pattern, generated by Band In A Box. This was then driven by Jamstix, which adds its own fills and rolls to give it a really nice laid back feel. Piano was also generated by BIAB, then driven by the Pianoteq VST plugin, and treated with some compression and delay.

Zoetrope...Jackson Browne? I take that as a huge compliment, thank you...JB is one of my fav players and songwriters.

Nice to hear my old mate and fellow "Strawberry Fool" Ralph on the show...first song he's written too. Don't it make you weep, one go and he nails it :shock: :D Very well done.

...and I will try to get a Jamstix "how it works" thing together when I can Tony 8)

cheers,
Les
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks for the show guys - very nice.

The songs were all good listening and even the speaking bits were good light banter I enjoyed.

As I've downloaded it, I'll give it another listen later.

Verr gudd show.

Regards
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:30 pm

Rocles wrote:Thanks to Tony and Dave for playing our song :D Bjorn's full name is Bjorn Nilsen, Tony, forgot to put that in.
Dave, ok, i'm busted...I used a touch of pitch correction on the Vocal, mainly on the "Oh"s and "were" words etc, just to give it a nice smooth feel. I stand by that decision, I think in this context it works well with the overall vibe of the sound..? ...and I must say that the Vocal was not out of tune to start with, just wanted a smooth, single note in places..honest 8)
Ha. Sorry to bust you. I am so sensitive to that stuff. I think I hear it when it is not really there sometimes. I thought I was hearing it on a Beach Boy's concert from 1980. Maybe they put it in later! :)

Thanks for sending the song in Les and thanks for spreadin' the word about the show!

Dave
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:34 pm

The Cracks wrote: Dave, I've got tons of Youtube videos of open mic performances. You'll see why I'm not up for a Ustream tour. :shock:
And I have been to your site and seen them along with your cool videos you have made. Duh. My memory sucks. :) That would be fun to schedule a night and have 3 or 4 of us play songs while others watch. HMHS live! I need a soundproof room in my house for that. We should schedule it someday. Twould be fun! Hope you have a nice trip.

Dave
0 x

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Chris C » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Touch The Sky - Nice song. I really dig the guitar part on the chorus. Nicely done with the backing vocal and such. Really strong arrangement.

The Way You Do - Cool textures. I really dig the arrangement.

Song For Those Who Are Gone - Another cool arrangement - I'm seeing a pattern. Love that wobbly guitar.

One Night Last Summer - Another nice arrangement. Really tasteful guitar fills - just right. Interesting but not overdone.

Chris
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:46 pm

Guys, another fantastic show with great tunes!

Touch The Sky - Sean Fellowes A great sound Sean - love your voice and choice of bg vox. Kind of a Eagles groove. Nice flow of lyrics and arrangement! Sax was a nice surprise

The Way You Do - David Cooper - HA! Loved the '80's Europop synth arp! Well done! And with a fade-out too! Haven't heard that in a while.

Song For Those Who Are Gone - Ralph Tonge - Yeah, kind of has that Pink Floyd feel to it doesn't it? Gilmooooorrre! Sweet solo.

One Night Last Summer - Les Cotton & Bjorn Nilsen Dang, your setup sounds a lot like mine (PSP, Toneport....)!Fantastic song guys - got sucked right into it. The vibe and mix were fantastic. The treatment on the voice in other tunes would be dated, but it worked great here! Reminded me of some Dire Straits kind of thing.

Re: having to have a life experience to write songs. What??? Forget about it. I think what you guys keep on uncovering on the show and here in the forums: The first rule of songwriting - there are no rules: if it works for you and you like it, go with it...

Cheers! Until next show.

D
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:05 am

Dave Chick, you really left us hanging on the last show, you made some comments and wrote "I'll be back soon" and I've been waiting ever since :)
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:42 am

tonyoci wrote:Dave Chick, you really left us hanging on the last show, you made some comments and wrote "I'll be back soon" and I've been waiting ever since :)
I get that a lot ... usually from members of the opposite sex though. :D rimshot!
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

GeeJay
Jedi
Jedi

Post by GeeJay » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:37 am

Hi guys

As requested, just to say I enjoyed the show, all good music as usual. Standards are extremely high these days!

Re the discussion on free vs paid for plug-ins, I've often wondered what the benefit would be for paying for something that one could get a "lesser" version of for nothing. How much better would a £100 EQ be than a free one - 20%?, 50%?, 100%?. What are you paying for? A better product, a better interface, better support, better stability? Or is it mainly an issue of perception - because you paid for it it must be better than something free, right? Alternatively, maybe if you pay for a product, you invest more into using it properly - you're more accutely aware of it's "value".

I suspect all of these things are true to a degree. I've never paid for a plug in (other than those that cone bundlede with a piece if hardware), I probably never will. I just don't believe it will make that much difference. I guess I agree with Tony on that. BTW Tony I thought you said you used PSP Vintage Warmer, so you must have paid for at least one plug-in ;)

Gary
0 x
My Soundclick Page

GeeJay said "I need to change my avatar!"

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:04 pm

GeeJay wrote:Re the discussion on free vs paid for plug-ins, I've often wondered what the benefit would be for paying for something that one could get a "lesser" version of for nothing. How much better would a £100 EQ be than a free one - 20%?, 50%?, 100%?. What are you paying for? A better product, a better interface, better support, better stability? Or is it mainly an issue of perception - because you paid for it it must be better than something free, right? Alternatively, maybe if you pay for a product, you invest more into using it properly - you're more accutely aware of it's "value".

I suspect all of these things are true to a degree. I've never paid for a plug in (other than those that cone bundlede with a piece if hardware), I probably never will. I just don't believe it will make that much difference.
Everything you say is probably true:
- There is a lot of good free stuff out there
- However, there are good and bad plugins and everything in between
- Bad ones are harsh and don't make things sound pleasant
- Good ones (like Waves) just seem to make things sound pleasant. They are very easy to use because they somehow just make things sound "good".
- Interfaces can make a difference. A pretty interface can trick you into thinking it works better for sure. Reaper lets you substitute a generic interface. I should try comparing using that interface to rule out the "pretty pictures" making me think it is working better. :)
- Reaper's plugins (or other good, free plugins) are REALLY close to Waves. For basic EQ and compression they work really well. For overcompressing and really squishing stuff, I would probably turn to the Waves stuff though. They do better for that purpose.
- Poorly made plugins can sound bad though. There are lots of them out there. You need to compare sounds. Reapers are a good benchmark for free.
- It is a lot like guitars. A Squire Strat can be perfectly usable but an American made Strat Deluxe just sounds and feels a little better.

How is that? Bottom line: there are good free ones out there but many paid ones might be slightly better. In most cases, the GOOD free ones will work just fine.
GeeJay wrote:I guess I agree with Tony on that. BTW Tony I thought you said you used PSP Vintage Warmer, so you must have paid for at least one plug-in ;)
Aaaarrgh, maiteeeeeeee! ;)
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:59 pm

criddlerus wrote:
GeeJay wrote:I suspect all of these things are true to a degree. I've never paid for a plug in (other than those that cone bundlede with a piece if hardware), I probably never will. I just don't believe it will make that much difference.
...How is that? Bottom line: there are good free ones out there but many paid ones might be slightly better. In most cases, the GOOD free ones will work just fine.
It all really comes with what you like to use and the sound you're looking for. I think I got a bit fed up with some of the sounds I was / wasn't getting. I tried out the Ozone and PSP stuff and started to hear what Sonar/Cubase/Logic wasn't doing with their tools.
criddlerus wrote:
GeeJay wrote:I guess I agree with Tony on that. BTW Tony I thought you said you used PSP Vintage Warmer, so you must have paid for at least one plug-in ;)
Aaaarrgh, maiteeeeeeee! ;)
LOL - gotta love those wacky renegade Swedes sailing the open seas of 1's and 0's!
0 x

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi Thanks for playing my song The way you do

Unfortunately I had sent the wrong version to Tony but thanks for the good comments.

Excellent show - the standard of music played raises the bar every time.

Touch the sky

A very laid back song excellently sung and well produced.

Songs for those that have gone before

Like the sound of this song – nice guitar work

One night last summer

Nice laid back song – good piano playing with really good vocals that suit the the songs mood.
0 x