HMHS 170 - Inviting and Magnetic (8/21/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 170 - Inviting and Magnetic (8/21/09)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:53 pm

http://www.homemadehitshow.com, thanks for the listens and especially the comments.

Go to the forum thread, up above, and contribute something to the lyrics "project" for Dressed In Black.

Dave tells us about his search for a guitar (G&L Guitars, Godin Guitars), his info on ticket prices, and his upcoming band gigs.

A Zoetrope minute on the http://www.TheSixtyOne.com a very addictive place to upload and listen to music.

Be sure to listen to NPR's First Listen to get free airing of a range of upcoming new music.

It Might Get Loud The guitars lovers movie

Songs:

Anemones - Half Acre Day http://www.halfacreday.com

You Believe In Me - Hoo Hoo Nick http://www.hoohoonick.com

Gone Away - Joe Pop http://www.joepoptoons.com
0 x

ornaith
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: HMHS 170 - Inviting and Magnetic (8/21/09)

Post by ornaith » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:58 pm

Enjoyable show. I particularly liked the first song-- nice sounds and tune-- a quirky, fuzzy indie feel, which I like a lot.
Re: guitars. My first electric, which is still my main one, is a white-on-white Squier Strat and it's great. I shall never let it go. Next on my shopping list is one of those nifty-looking Danelectro U2 reissues from the 90s.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:35 pm

Anemones - Half Acre Day http://www.halfacreday.com
Sounds great. Very pro mix and sound. Nice stereo spread. I like the synth.

TicketMaster
I think that article was in the New Yorker, not Rolling Stone.

Be sure to listen to NPR's First Listen to get free airing of a range of upcoming new music.
Alrighty.

You Believe In Me - Hoo Hoo Nick http://www.hoohoonick.com

An instrumental and it's blues. Two HMHS no-nos in one. Sounds good, nice job on the lyrics.

A Zoetrope minute on the http://www.TheSixtyOne.com a very addictive place to upload and listen to music.
Brilliant. I actually had to pull myself away from listening to music on T61 to listen to this week's show. It's very addictive. And I've definitely found some really great music on there. Join the discussion at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13410 and check out the great music I found at http://www.thesixtyone.com/#/outlawyr/favorites/

Dave tells us about his search for a guitar (G&L Guitars, Godin Guitars) and his upcoming band gigs.
Rock on!

It Might Get Loud The guitars lovers movie
This should be goooood.

Gone Away - Joe Pop http://www.joepoptoons.com
Great closing song. Good one, Joe.

Good show gents. Now I'm off to TheSixtyOne to complete more quests. :D
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:05 am

Zoetrope wrote:TicketMaster
I think that article was in the New Yorker, not Rolling Stone.
Maybe the New Yorker did and article too, but I don't get the New Yorker so I didn't read it there. It was in the Rolling Stone for sure.

Here is the link for that NPR First Listens site:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=98679384

Here are the Guitars I am looking at:
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/Tr ... /index.asp
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsdp.htm

Thanks for listening. I need to sign up for The Sixty One. Sounds fun. Need to learn lead lines for Generals and Majors by XTC right now though. Practice is in 3 hours. :)

Dave
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:07 pm

Anemones - Half Acre Day - I can't really make out all the lyrics but the melody and beat of the song captured me from the opening to end. Love the bridge. Really a sweet sounding song.
:clap:

Note: "Oh, what a lovely day..." I am putting the final touches on a song with a similar chorus (different words but about a "day"). I don't want anyone thinking I stole the words. I wrote mine this week down at the shore.

Yea, that was a big sound. I would say the mix made this sound more polished than many other home recorded songs, at least my songs. Mine have a more tinny sound. This song just blended into the atmosphere better...or something like that.

Hmm...I didn't hear the distortion. Oh well. It sounded really nice to me.

Not sure I can contribute to the "Dressed in Black" collab. I've got to put the finishing touches on my new song and start practicing for my big D.C. gig. :D

How about "I see a red door and I want it Dressed in Black..." :rofl:

I tried to make my new song a place name, but it hasn't worked out. Maybe in the final edit I can squeeze a place name in. :?:

Ticketmaster - that is a good explanation to what all the additional charges are for, but it begs the question: why didn't they add all those charges in the old days? Didn't they have to keep the lights on in 1976? I say this is Rolling Stone making excuses for Ticketmaster.

Remember when Pearl Jam tried to fight Ticketmaster? They lost. When I went to see Pearl Jam last year, I bought the ticket through Ticketmaster.

I just saw Paul McCartney and the additional fees were the convenience charge, a service fee (I think it was $15.00), and $10.00 parking. Of course you had to pay the $10.00 parking even if you took the subway. :evil:

I just tried to look up my past purchases at Ticketmaster but they don't list all the charges added on. They just give the concert and final cost.

I've got to say though, all the additional charges have never stopped me from buying a ticket for a show I really wanted to see.

NPR - I'll check it out. Good tip. Thanks.

You Believe In Me - Hoo Hoo Nick - Sounds like down the middle blues. Good sound on the recording. Great guitar playing.

Zoetrope Minute - See my post on open topics regarding this subject. I'll use it to listen to new music, but I doubt I'll be posting any music to it. I'm losing track of all the places my music is posted. :shock: I guess the more places the merrier, but I can't keep up with updating all these sites with my new songs.

The only reason I like Band Camp is that you can seperate your songs by which album they are on. I like that.

The real web site that breaks Internet walls down will be the one that rates songs based on popularity (like the old Top 40 on radio) while weeding out concerted efforts to push one particular song up the charts. But I suppose that happened in Top 40 too, so who knows.

XTC - aren't they a punk band from the 70's? Oh, 80's and 90's. I can't say I know any of their music. I'll check them out on Youtube (good old trusted Youtube).

I wouldn't know a good guitar from a bad one. Which one is cheapest is my requirement. But, I agree, Dave, if the cheapest guitar is the ugliest, I'll go the next one up.

Yea, I am looking forward to "It Might Get Loud" movie. I'll probably wait for it on DVD though. I also want to see the movie "Anvil" I think it's called. About the metal band that almost made it.

I like Jack White very much. I like 60% or so (guessing) of the White Stripes music. I would love Jack White to produce the next Rolling Stones album. I think he'd bring them back to a more core sound. He did that Loretta Lynn album and it's outstanding. Listen to the extended version of "Portland, Oregan" on Youtube.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuC_l3ymXhM

(Check out the comments and you'll see mine.) I can just imagine how the Stones would sound with this type of Jack White treatment.

Gone Away - Joe Pop - Joe Pop is always a treat to listen to. He does the mix (or used to) on Mixcraft, like me.

I love this piano. Very pretty song, Joe. Cool wilting guitar too. Nice work.

Good show.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:38 pm

The Cracks wrote:I also want to see the movie "Anvil" I think it's called. About the metal band that almost made it.
I saw it on the flight to France. It's great. You can see the trailer here.
0 x

fabkebab

Post by fabkebab » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:10 am

I am still here - still listening!! Just not getting quite so much time to comment...

The first song this month was really good - so much going on - As I heard it I thought to myself "this must be a band rather than an individual" - because none of the instruments sound like they are "making up the numbers" as often happens when a singer-songwriter attempts to create drums/bass tracks.
Really nice

I enjoyed the rest of the discussion - I was somewhat fearful that my thesixtyone.com whinge would make it to your podcast, but thankfully you left me out :-) - For the record my comment was more that you can put your own songs up there, and get a good feel for where you sit in the grand scheme of things (you will have to find my account, imaginatively named "fabkebab" to discover the truth)

I really enjoy the show - keep 'em coming - maybe I will even donate some stream-of-consciousness blurb for your lyric exercise.

On the subject of "topics" I am still very eagerly awaiting the "why this doesnt sound like a pro recording" section - I thought it was a great idea!!
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:49 am

We've been unable to locate a willing "pro". We had a few possibilities but they all seem reluctant to get tough with hobbyists. I'll keep trying.
0 x

fabkebab

Post by fabkebab » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:19 pm

How about finding a strange on thesixtyone? A lot of these people can make pro-sounding songs, even though they are amateurs...
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Another quintessentially, monumentally prodigious show patricians (the thesaurus said that was a synonym for gentlemen - why I'm calling you that, I have no idea...)

Anemones - Half Acre Day
fantastic arrangement and I love the sound - very "interesting" (tony can insert an appropriate synonymn) panning. What did you guys do on the hi-hat - is that a delay or double tracked left and right? Cool stuff.

TicketMaster - try to avoid them when I can...

Hanging comments by that rascal named Dave Chick... well it's all part of my grand master plan to be the man of mystery and now that I know Tony hangs on to every comment waiting for a fantastic finish... Suffice it to say, I loved all the tunes on the one-minute challenge show - fantastic!

You Believe In Me - Hoo Hoo Nick
Nice licks in there Nick - I like a good blues tune. Nicely done - tasty stuff there.

A Zoetrope minute on the TheSixtyOne.com.
Good description Zoetrope - I revisited after listening to the segment. I got invited to this by Tony - just signed up and I can definitely see how this can be addictive. They put some good thought into how to make it a game / challenge. I'm liking it a lot more than Soundclick so far...

Daves search for a guitar
Dave, I know what you're talking about in terms of price/performance. I have the same experience with pianos (at least I HAD experience with that a while back) - some of those high-priced deals (Steinways, Boosendorfer, etc...) just really stink. Some are magnificent, but each instrument is different - especially when it's an accoustic-based instrument and I think what you were talking about - going to the music store and trying the instrument out - is the only way to judge.

Gone Away - Joe Pop
Joe - awesome sound - love the Beatles crosses Pink Floyd feel I got from this. Great vibe and great sound.

There, I think I've completed all my comments without any dangling kinds of ideas or getting Tony's hopes up too much

Cheers, D
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi everyone

I joined the sixtyone.com thing and regustered but how do you upload music - I tried help but didn't work.

Anyways this week's show was very good as usual.

Half Day Acre

Nice moody song just like what I’m trying to achieve – very good sound – good vocals and catchy chorus.

You believe in me

Nice shot of blues to while the night away.

Excellent guitar work - nice vocal style.

Gone away

Another masterpiece from Joe Pop – as always excelent throughout. Good ending.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:25 pm

You need to convert your account to an artist account, or open a new one and specify that it's an artist account, not a listener account. It's helpful to have both.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:31 pm

Songs

half day acre
reminded me of the rentals, cool
sounded good in the headphones

you believe in me
very retro sounding
vocals seemed disconnected from the rest of the recording
like it's not in the same space

gone away
thought this was the Tones for a second, but he cleared that up pretty quickly.
liked the guitar lead moving around the stereo space and then coming in full.

Commentary

TICKETMASTER
---------------
tossers

ZOETROPE MINUTE - the61.com
--------------------------------
great site, but seems to really suck the bandwidth.
I can see what you mean about it being like a game, but it's also what you do with friends in RL, don't you?
they say 'hey check this out', you say 'that's cool, if you like that you should check this out'... etc.

XTC
------
great band
- making plans for nigel
- generals and majors
- no thugs in our house

The album White Music strikes me as seeing the roots of Shriekback

GUITARS
--------
The feel of the neck is what I look for, whether it cost $150, $500 or $1500.
I don't think I could bring myself to spend more $2000 on a guitar even if I thought it was perfect.
There are a lot of subtle differences in the qualities between a $150 Squier and a $1500 American Standard.
But if you can't discern the differences or you don't care about them, why spend the money?
In the end, it's not really about the money, but the build quality and whether the guitar makes you -want- to play it.

RE: the butt ugly guitar, maybe try putting some stickers on it? Draw all over, you know, punk it up

REAPER
--------
I just showed it to a pro recording engineer who's been using Pro Tools exclusively and he seemed impressed with it.
0 x

classicgeek
new to this board
new to this board

Post by classicgeek » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:48 pm

Hey there,

I'm a new listener but I thought I'd comment on the show. I enjoyed it and the songs were pretty good this week. I'd say my favorite was Joe Pop's submission. Some interesting use of backing vocals.

Also enjoyed the discussion of Dave's pondering a new guitar. Funny, because I listened to Zoetrope's minute on gear lust just yesterday. Personally, I tend to go for the less-expensive guitar, my pride and joy being a Yamaha that I picked up for $500.

As it's my first post on the board, I'll add a quick general kudos to Tony and Dave for the podcast as a whole. I've started putting together my very first song ever thanks to you. So far it's been an interesting experience, we'll see if anything worthwhile comes of it!
0 x
Simon

Mac Mini - Garageband '09 - Apogee Duet

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:58 am

Good show chaps, though a bit light on the hits this week weren't we? :lol:

Liked the songs - Zoetropes minute - And think I understood most of the chit chat, but I've a poorly dog forever seeking attention, feeling sorry for himself. Bee stings - maybe write a short song about it.

Thanks
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Thought I'd pop in here....'is it safe?' :|

Anemones - Half Acre Day - Very cool tune. Loved the b/g vocal line. Yeah, something is wrong with this recording. No upper end to the sound spectrum fer one thing.

You Believe In Me - Whoo Hoo Nick - While I'm not a big lover of I IV V chord stuff, this has a nice thumpy texture.

Stimulating the economy, eh? :lol: Godins can be had for a really good price on eBay. G&L is way overpriced. The Godin may just need a setup. Squiers are real sleepers. Graphite neck? Oh man, just repaint the body....or stip it. Graphite necks mean no dead spots!

Gone Away - Joe Pop - Signature Joe Pop sound here. Love that slide...hoping for a killer bridge or somethin'. Didn't dissapoint. Very Let it Be sounding solo.
Fun tune.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:41 pm

I've been talking with Dave about guitars today, he keeps telling me how much he loves his ugly guitar and I keep telling him to just fix it up.
0 x