HMHS 173 - The Angry Home Recording Podcasters (09/11/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 173 - The Angry Home Recording Podcasters (09/11/09)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:36 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com, thanks for listening

------------------------------

Dave Criddle and Tony Butterworth return to discuss songwriting, home recording and anything else they feel like. More discussions on room treatments, Dave has a short segment on guitar distortion and we discuss turning ballads into faster songs, rerecording old songs and Tony's opinion (actually a fact) that the Beatles are boring.

But most importantly songs.

Bethany Town (Last Beautiful Day) - Sean Tully
Place On Barkley - Dave Chick
Yellow Room - The Tones
Factory Road - Ron West
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMHS 173 - The Angry Home Recording Podcasters (09/11/09)

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Pure Cracks. Good job.

Room treatment, revisited.
Stick some dirty laundry in the corner of the room and you're good to go.

I'll have to catch the rest later. My boss has chosen 4pm on Friday to go over a huge case. :evil:
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:29 pm

. . . and I'm back!

Wow, big production. Nice one. I like the horns.

Yellow Room - The Tones
Who peed in the room? Nice high energy rocker. This would be better if you had some room treatment. :lol: (Sorry, could not resist). Actually, I like this better hearing it again. It's growing on me.

The Beatles are boring.
Yes, for the most part, I agree. But they're the Beatles, so it doesn't matter.

Factory Road - Ron West
Cool song. I like the scary movie music thing, and the retro 80s thing.

Good show, especially when Tony dropped the phone.
Keep on rockin, gents.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Bethany Town (Last Beautiful Day) - Sean Tully - As Zoetrope said, pure crap. :shock: Oh, wait, that's not what he said. Thanks Zoetrope. :D

I hear the timing issues, but the QChord just wouldn't change chords fast enough to keep up and I was done messing with it.

Thanks for putting this one on the show.

"Sully luau" - I like that. That's what I was after now that you mention it. :agree: I went through a lounge music phase and I think this may be the last one of that batch.

The Q will come in handy for adding strings, organ, etc., but I agree, I need to back off of it as a primary instrument. Others have suggested that too.

I like that message too. It's the song for me. I am completely disinterested in the process of recording, etc.

Dave, I wish I had a band to work with. I would just write the outlined song and go to the band to help me with the rest.

This is why I like playing open mics. I don't have to worry about production quality. On many of my songs I think the rougher the better. Maybe that's just my excuse. :shock:

I've been mixing on my speakers more and more. I used to never even listen to the final product on speakers, but now I'll mix on headphones than listen on speakers. And then I'll say "Oh screw it, it's a wrap!"

Sorry, my doctor's office called. I was listening but couldn't commment.

Dave, record your band. I like those band songs.

Dave, sorry, I had to call my doctor back. I didn't get most of that intro. But, thank goodness it was a bit long, since the song is just about to start and I"m back at my PC. :D The headphones are back on.

Place On Barkley - Dave Chick - This is funky. (I wish the icons would transfer over, I put the dancing stick figure here.) This is a big brass type number. Reminds me of mid-70's style, ala' K.C. and the Sunshine Band or something. Man, those horns are great. Great one.

Yellow Room - The Tones - Dang! I knew that famous Tones guitar style and drums, but then the voice kicked in and I wasn't so sure anymore until I heard the song title in the chorus. This is a great rocker. So this is what you call a rough cut? :shock: I hear guitars and vocal harmonies coming from all directions. Man, that one rocked. Outstanding work. I like it.

I wouldn't touch a thing myself. "Energy driven" is exactly what you got and that is what comes through. It's the "all edge" part that makes this baby cut deep.

I'm surprised you didn't discuss how you completely altered your vocals. This is an entire new sound for you, it seems to me. It was very different from any other you've recorded, vocals wise. I like it (again).

Shucks, Dave. I wish I could play guitar like that. I could work with that style of playing so easily. Have you ever thought of moving to Maryland for good? :lol:

Somebody has to say this, but I turn my volume up to 11. :D

The guitar playing was fantastic.

Hey, that's a good tip, Tony. Speed a slow song up. I'll keep that in mind.

I love The Beatles but I've never played Rock Band. I don't really get the game part. I know the music is good.

You can't stand The Beatles! :shock: I just fell in love with them again. I love their story (four lads from Liverpool) and much of their work. I like their mid-60's stuff the best, I think (ala' "Rain," "Strawberry Fields," etc.).

I read that Lennon put reverb on his mic whenever he sang because his voice was thin. He did this even when just working songs out in the studio. (That's what I read at least.)

Boston was cool. I'm not sure why but they are still very cool to me.

That is so funny. I was just singing "And Your Bird Can Sing" this morning while walking around the house. I've heard (on Youtube, I suppose) and I've read where Lennon said he wrote that one after Mick Jagger was talking on and on about his girl Marianne Faithfull. Lennon was saying to Mick, yea, well you still "can't see me" (i.e., match his success).

I like watching the videos of the Beatles the most. I'll probably end up buying Anthology (DVD) some day. I watch that thing alot on Youtube.

You don't like Sir Paul! :shock: (again). I remember you saying that when I posted that I was seeing him. I was always a Lennon fan, but I have to admit that Paul probably is the better song writer. If someone is on the elevator humming a Beatles song, chances are good it will be one of Paul's. I have always respected Paul, and now that they are down to two Beatles left (very untimely), I have a new fondness for him too.

What the heck? It sounded like both voices talking over each other.

Ah, you dropped your phone. :D

Factory Road - Ron West - This is cool. Very industrial. I'm not that familiar with Depeche Mode (sp), but when the vocals kicked in, it did sound like the music from that era. This is great. I love the vibe you've captured here. I should listen to more Depeche Mode (and you) since I have always love this kind of muisc. Great song.

Good show. Thanks for playing my song.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:16 pm

Thanks Cracks, Dave and I were starting to worry.

The singing is simple, belt it out with no concerns, it seems to make my voice go higher and possibly thinner.
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:22 pm

Dear Tony,

You Suck.

First this whole gauntlet throwing thing in your podcast and then some snide remark about Home Recording Podcasts.

Talk about a fantastically horrible show. Once the first tune was finished - it all went downhill for me ... well until the last song and perhaps that bit about something to do with guitars, distortion and the volume knob. Seriously Dave, I think you're the only guitarist I know who is aware that you can actually twist those knobs counter-clockwise...

Tony, LOL, a challenge - you KNOW I can't resist a HMHS challenge ... it's the only way I get off my butt to write a song. Alright then, I'm up for it, but are you really set on the 2-hour limit, or can it be a day (or maybe 2?).

Cracks - this was raw - very cool. Were you going for the multiple rhythm thing or was that accident? Regardless - it was cool and kept my ears perked up.

Meh...

Yellow Room - The Tones

Tony, what a fantastic sound you got for your voice. Whatchu talking about my voice being different? If I didn't know ahead that it was the Tones, then I'd have been pressed to identify who was singing. Way to let go and get and edge to your vox! Great tune - it's perfect the way it is!

Factory Road - Ron West

Ron, dude, what a cool collection of nostalgia you've got! Oberheim, Ensoniq, Roland classic synths - {drool}. Nice vibe and sounds you got there - if DM was who you were going for, then I think you were successful. Even had the extended '80s intro nailed - something you don't hear much anymore.

Cheers guys - any requests on style for my called out challenge?

Dave
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:31 pm

2 hours and no midi - how about that :)
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:32 pm

chckn8r wrote:Cracks...Were you going for the multiple rhythm thing or was that accident?
Um...yes! :D
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

CharlieWardick
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by CharlieWardick » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:32 pm

Better late than never.... Here is what I remember from my absessed tooth/vicodin listening session late Friday night.

All the songs were okay.

The Beatles aren't boring to me. They have many great songs. I think if I had to play their songs though I would be bored as guitar player. The Beatles was the sum of all parts. Probably if you solo'd any of their guitar tracks you may not even be able to tell what song it is. Vocally they always seemed to have it going on with double tracking and harmony and stuff. SO yeah I dig a pony and the Beatles. The Beatles Anthology was great. One great quote I remember from it (I think that was source) when they were asking (after Pete Best was replaced) if Ringo was the greatest drummer ever and I think it was John that said "Ringo isn't even the greatest drummer currently in the Beatles".

That was great when Tony dropped the phone. It was at that point I realized it was recording magic and that Dave and Tony weren't in the same room. Geat job putting that dialog and banter together.

Tony, do you still record in your car?
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:28 pm

I record the show in the car, though I did not this week, but the songs I don't do that much cause there's too many connections in the old bedroom studio.
0 x

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Chris C » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:21 pm

Really enjoyed the show.

Nice range and contrast of tunes.

Chris
0 x

synthfreek
new to this board
new to this board

Post by synthfreek » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:34 am

Funny thing about my song (Factory Rd.) - I mentioned to Tony that it was written in the 80's (1988) and that I still have most of the gear used. Actually the studio has grown exponentially since then, as I'm sure all of studios have. :-)
Thanks for the comments.
0 x

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:02 pm

I took a vacation from podcasts and am just getting caught up on HMHS. I just listened to the last 4 shows (shouldn't I get a medal or something?), starting with this one and working my way backwards. They were all great shows with great music, but I'm only going to comment on this one.

Bethany Town (Last Beautiful Day) - Sean Tully: Very much a Cracks song, and quite nice. I like the repeating refrain: it reminds me of an old folk song. This one gets stuck in my head everytime I hear it.

Room Treatments: I use Mod Traps, which are essentially just rigid fiberglass covered with cloth and a mic stand mount. I put two in a v shape behind the mic, and one larger one behind me. They seem to work great, and I can store them when I'm not using them so they don't get in the way. There is a way to use them while mixing, but I haven't tried that yet. I agree that for most of us, spending hundreds, if not thousands, on room treatments wouldn't make that much of an impact on our sound.

Re-recording old songs: I always write first and then record, so I don't have the problem that Dave is talking about.

Place On Barkley - Dave Chick: What can you say other than, "Absolutely brilliant!" I have a hard enough time just trying to get the sound of a 4 piece guitar band, and Dave sounds like a freakin' orchestra. Fun!

Yellow Room - The Tones: Very interesting tune. Nice job on the vocal - sounded quite energetic and confident to me.

The Criddle distortion segment: I had been playing professionally for years before I learned this. I think maybe because most of that was playing rhythm guitar and, like Dave said, that shouldn't be too distorted.

Writing slow to play fast: Interesting idea.

Beatles rock band game: They make another game that has songs similar to the Beatles only not as good: It's called "Wings Rock Band." :) Beatles as "Boy Band?" Ha ha! Right! :roll:

Factory Road - Ron West: Quite a bit different from the music I usually listen to. A lot of stuff going on that I didn't expect, and that's always good. I'll have to listen to it a couple more times to see if I can "get" it, or if I'm just too old.

Bunch of great shows. I agree with Dave Chick; I am amazed that you guys can keep it up. I know it's a lot of work. Thanks.
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:18 pm

Had a listen to the show away from pc. so apart from saying thanks guys, there's not a lot I can say that hasn't already been covered.

Best regards
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:21 pm

famouspatrick wrote:Re-recording old songs: I always write first and then record, so I don't have the problem that Dave is talking about.
Maybe that would be a good challenge for me: write the song BEFORE recording it. For me write and record go a little too hand in hand. Hmmm. Sounds like a good topic for Tony and I to discuss on the next show!
famouspatrick wrote:I am amazed that you guys can keep it up. I know it's a lot of work.
Not really, actually. :oops: It is just Tony and me recording ourselves yappin. :) We have it down to a science.
famouspatrick wrote: Beatles rock band game: They make another game that has songs similar to the Beatles only not as good: It's called "Wings Rock Band." :) Beatles as "Boy Band?" Ha ha! Right! :roll:
LOL Definitely, if they can milk this Rock Band thing long enough they will end up with a Wings version. That made me laugh. I heard someone on the PC Magazine podcast talk about a possible Beach Boys rock band. How would you do the theremin part on Good Vibrations? ha.
CharlieWardick wrote:That was great when Tony dropped the phone. It was at that point I realized it was recording magic and that Dave and Tony weren't in the same room. Geat job putting that dialog and banter together.
Do they call that "breaking the third wall" in tv or something when someone grins at the camera and makes you realize it is a tv show? I blew our illusion because I was too lazy to edit. Lol It is amazing how well our recording method works to make it sound like we are in the same studio. For those interested, it is called a "double ender" in old radio talk... or so I hear... when people in separate studios record a conversation on each end and then edit the two recordings together.
chckn8r wrote:
First this whole gauntlet throwing thing in your podcast and then some snide remark about Home Recording Podcasts.

Talk about a fantastically horrible show. Once the first tune was finished - it all went downhill for me
LOL we were on a roll! Glad you have a sense of humor. :)

chckn8r wrote: Tony, LOL, a challenge - you KNOW I can't resist a HMHS challenge ... it's the only way I get off my butt to write a song. Alright then, I'm up for it, but are you really set on the 2-hour limit, or can it be a day (or maybe 2?).
Yeah, Tony has some bizarre powers to write and record a song in one evening. Maybe we will give you three. ha. I need to try this actually. Tony really knows how to get down to business.

I know this show keeps me writing too and gets me off my butt as well. I really want to write but the XTC gig is looming large and my guitar solos need some TLC.

Thanks for all the great comments everyone!

Dave
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:25 pm

I NEVER tell anyone that Dave and I have double ender every week !!!!!!
0 x

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi

Sorry I'm late been on holiday just catching up.

Nice set of songs again - good show

Liked the Cracks song very atmospheric.

Place on Berkeley - is this home recorded I could record till I'm 100 I wouldn't get a sound as fantastic as this at home.

Yellow room - I think this needs a few listens to get what you did - very raw though and simple.

The beatles rock - Lennon's voice was one of the great rock voices until he started to take LSD and was after he came off it.

Geoff Emerick says the best way to listen to their songs is in mono as they were recorded that way - the new mixes show this.

Factory Road - Like the sounds on this very 80's

Again good interesting show
0 x