HMHS 175 - Strings and Things (9/25/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 175 - Strings and Things (9/25/09)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:25 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com

Welcome to another fun packed home recording, songwriting, and I guess general music podcast hosted by Genial Dave Criddle and Mean Tony Butterworth.

This week we discuss

* Dave's XTC Gig
* Guitar Maintenance
* Strings
* Lily Allen's annoying blog
* Getting poetic in your lyrics

We play a great pro song from Frank Turner (http://www.frank-turner.com/) called Substitute and we recommend that The Cracks check him out.

and of course Dave Chick delivers his 2-3 hour song. I recommend we start a rap style war where we all abuse each other in song.

Songs

Ralph Tonge – English Summer

Jay McAllistee – Killa

Dave Chick - Tony is a SUPERSTAR !!!!!
0 x

famouspatrick

Re: HMHS 175 - Strings and Things (9/25/09)

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Ralph Tonge – English Summer Interesting production. A little slow moving and long for my taste, but pleasant.

Dave plays a gig: Fun to play for people who like what your doing. Nights like that make it worth it.

Drums again: Drums are and important part of the rhythm section, but only one part. Everybody needs to play in a way that compliments the other parts and just about read each others' minds. Getting the correct balance and EQ on the recording is tough. But, for any song to sound great, the rhythm section needs to be tighter than a toad's ass.

Stealing music: It's all been said. I have nothing new to say.

Jonathon Coulton: I subscribed to A Thing A Week, which was a podcast that put out a new song every week, so I had almost all of his stuff already. I gladly bought the flac files to get the higher quality.

Jay McAllistee – Killa Fun tune, had kind of a retro feel. Sounds like something I might have listened to in my younger years. I think the drums could stand to come forward a bit in the mix.

Substitute - Frank Turner: Absolutely loved it. My kind of tune.

Lyric writing: Mark Twain - "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."

Elixer strings: When I was playing professionally, I'd have to change them every three days, so I'd love to like these, but I hate the way they sound.

Dave Chick - Tony is a Jerk: Hell of a lot better than I could've done it. Fun tune, and I like the little asides in there, too.

Fun stuff! Thanks guys!
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:44 pm

They (Elixirs) sound like regular strings to me.
If I get mentioned on the show again next week, I just won't know what I'll do..... :lol:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:21 pm

Sungodv wrote:If I get mentioned on the show again next week, I just won't know what I'll do..... :lol:
If you don't want to be mentioned then stop being some damned helpful.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:04 am

"Yellow Room" kicks ass.

This will be a running review as I can't listen to entire show all at once this morning. I started with "Yellow Room". See comments above.

Never mind. My wife had friends over but they have left. I'm free!

Ralph Tonge – English Summer - Lovely song. I'm not sure I'd survive an English summer. I'd jump off the Cliffs of Dover. What a full sound you've got here. I love that organ. Great lyrics. I like those folks bickering at the end. :D

Dang, I wish I had a "gig". :evil:

Darn, Dave, the 'Net worked for you.

:D - You mean nobody said "I think you need to adjust the EQ on that one".

Drums! Drums drive me crazy. (Dang "crazy" icon won't work.)

No doubt drums are important, especially for an actual band.

My PC died too. :( I'm using the backup now. I lost everything (songs, video, software, etc.) I have most of my songs up on Internet and my videos are saved on 4Shared.com, so it was no big deal.

I reinstalled my Tascam US122 and Mixcraft with some complications (see open topic forum).

I've never heard of Lilly Allen (sp?). I'll have to Youtube here.

Gigs are where it's at for building an fan base that will pay for your music, no doubt. I have no idea where the record industry is going or how they are going to handle the Internet Age.

Jay McAllistee – Killa - Cool guitar playing. Bouncy tune. Reminds me of Souther Rock meets Kid Rock. I like it.

Pro Song - I'm a sucker for the Brit rockers. This is pretty cool. I think he needs to adjust his EQ at 28:06 (of entire show). :D Great lyrics. They have that twist that makes song lyrics so important to many songs.

I ususally rewrite my lyrics over several times. I rarely redo a music track.

I agree that if you get a good chorus down, the verses will fall into place.

I'm all ears. :D

You can never mention me too much. :D (Thanks for nods in my direction.)

Guitar Center, I think it's called, changes strings for a price. I hate changing my strings. I rarely do it. Usually one has to break before I change them all. And, if it's the low E, I just remove it and retune to Keith Richards style 5 string Open G. :D

Off topic, but I now have seven guitars. :shock: They are all cheapos, except my newest one, but still, I don't know how this happened.

Sungodv is very helpful for home recording issues. Not so much on issues like quitting smoking. :D (Just kidding, just kidding.)

I ususally just go in and ask for the most expensive nylon strings. I wouldn't know what they are.

Dave Chick - Tony is a SUPERSTAR !!!!! - This sounds like you singing, Tony. I'm confused. Oh, I get it. That was Tony. :D

I like that he kept the clearing the throat sound in there. Clever song. Well done in three hours.

Good show.
Last edited by The Cracks on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:25 am

The Cracks wrote:"Yellow Room" kicks ass.
Sometimes I wonder about you, Cracky..... :shock:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:52 am

Sungodv wrote:
The Cracks wrote:"Yellow Room" kicks ass.
Sometimes I wonder about you, Cracky..... :shock:
My HMHS experience begins at the time I click the link to the web site. "Yellow Room" was the first song I heard, thus the comment. :D Not to mention, I got another plug this week. It works every time. :D
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:30 am

Ralph Tonge – English Summer
Great. Love the rock organ, but everything sounds good here.

* Dave's XTC Gig
Rock on!

Jay McAllistee – Killa
Sounds good.

*We play a great pro song from Frank Turner (http://www.frank-turner.com/) called Substitute Good song. considering it's almost all guitar and vocal, very impressive. The performance and emotion carries the song.

Dave Chick - Tony is a SUPERSTAR !!!!!
:shock:

Dave Chick's real song
Ok, now do a song in a half hour. :twisted:

Great show, gents.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:53 am

Ah, must be that darn SC player on the HMHS website, Cracky. I was wonderin' what you was yakin' about.
I'm sure it's a fine song....hell, I may have actually heard it.

Anyway, I get the show at digitalpodcast.com.
0 x
My Songs

archon
new to this board
new to this board

Post by archon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Well, I would fall into the same category as Tony on the strings topic. However, I do restring my own guitar ;) , but everything else goes to my local guitar tech.

Interesting, no wait, entrancing question from Dave. Can I improve my lyric writing ability? In a word I would say, yes, but, like you both suggested, it is going to take some work. But hang on, how important are lyrics to a good song. I agree the Frank Turner tune is well performed, arranged, and clever lyrics, and, IMHO, a great song. However, below are some lyrics from the latest Taylor Swift hit "You Belong To Me" (not too clever, right). Perhaps, it the music/emotion/groove/hook that makes this song a hit, just like the Frank Turner tune has a great groove/hook.

Thoughts?

=== LYRICS Taylor Swift - "You Belong To Me"
You're on the phone with your girlfriend, She's upset
She's going off about something that you said
She doesnt get your humour like I do

I'm in the room, its a typical Tuesday night
I'm listening to the kind of music she doesnt like
And she'll never know your story like I do

But she wears short skirts, I wear t-shirts
She's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming bout the day when you'll wake up and find
That what you're lookin for has been here the whole time

If you could see that I'm the one who understands you
Been here all along so why can't you see?
You belong with me
You belong with me
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks Archon though I'm not really clear what your point is :)

We've talked a lot about how lyrics are not essential there are a lot worse examples than you raise, many in classic songs. Taylor Swift has a country background where the literal lyrics are pretty key. I think decent lyrics are pretty important in a ballad/story song and I think Frank Turner wrote a song that made me listen too and remember the lyrics which is pretty rare for me.
0 x

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:51 pm

tonyoci wrote:Thanks Archon though I'm not really clear what your point is :)

We've talked a lot about how lyrics are not essential there are a lot worse examples than you raise, many in classic songs. Taylor Swift has a country background where the literal lyrics are pretty key. I think decent lyrics are pretty important in a ballad/story song and I think Frank Turner wrote a song that made me listen too and remember the lyrics which is pretty rare for me.
I think there are a some facts that people sometimes skip when they talk about if lyrics are important to a song.

1) There are some great songs that are great in spite of apparently not so good lyrics: Zep's Whole Lot of Love, James Brown's I've Got You (I Feel Good), ZZ Top's Tube Snake Boogie, etc.

2) There are some great songs that are entirely dependent on a great lyric: Lennon's Imagine, all of Dylan's early stuff, all of Paul Simon's early stuff, Cole Porter, Leonard Cohen, etc.

3) There is a difference between a "Hit" song and a "Good" song. The definition of "Good" being extremely subjective.

I'm a lyric kind of guy. I will never be the song writer I wish I could be, but I can be fairly clever and interesting, in a "jingle" kind of way. At 59, I finally accept that I won't be another Lennon, Dylan or Simon, but I love to hear the people who can fit the lyric and music together in a compelling way.

Oh, and the drums should sound good, too. :lol: :roll: ;)
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:21 am

sorry for the short post, but good show fellas!

thanks!
0 x

Dave King

Post by Dave King » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:29 am

Enjoyable show as always. I particularly liked the "pro" song in this episode. Great stuff.

Here's a suggestion...

I tend to think that most people submitting songs to be played on the podcast are interested in receiving feedback about their work. Sometimes I am surprised at how little commentary is made about individual songs.

So... how about establishing a standard in which Dave and Tony each talk about one thing they LIKE about each song and one thing they DISLIKE about each song as they are played on the show? I think this would be beneficial to the song contributors and might make for some great discussion on the podcast too.

As always, try and keep it civil.

Any thoughts?
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 pm

I am staunchly against making comments on people's songs, as we've discussed, for most people this is a hobby and I'm not interesting in either giving confidence sapping negative feedback or ego boosting positive feedback. It's too much of a slippery slope for me, you praise one and are less positive about another and suddenly people are upset. When people ask for "honest" feedback they rarely want it unless it's positive etc.

My goal with the show is to provide a place for people to get their music played. For critiques and advice etc. people should look elsewhere :)
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:02 pm

tonyoci wrote:My goal with the show is to provide a place for people to get their music played. For critiques and advice etc. people should look elsewhere :)
Yes. And one doesn't have to look very far either.
tonyoci wrote: ....you praise one and are less positive about another and suddenly people are upset.
It takes a thick skin, regardless of which side of the fence you're on and naturally, it's easier to not review. Ahem.

The HMHS likes every song. Next suggestion...

Oh, and you didn't fool me on that last song. I'd recognize that limp fingered (pick) strumming anywhere. :P
0 x
My Songs

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:24 pm

Sungodv wrote:Yes. And one doesn't have to look very far either
If you are referring to our own New Songs forum here then that is not a real review forum. 99% of reviews are positive and I can't believe that 99% of songs are really that perfect. That's the false praise side of my coin.
0 x