HMHS 175 - Strings and Things (9/25/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Re: HMHS 175 - Strings and Things (9/25/09)

Post by Sungodv » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:56 pm

Well it does say to be positive in the 'Forum Rules' of the NSF. 8)
And I wouldn't go as high as 99%. Maybe 95%. :lol:
If anybody want's the 'potential' for some unbiased opinion they will have to post in the NSF because I see the HMHS forum as being less of a place for that.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Dave King

Post by Dave King » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:48 pm

tonyoci wrote:I am staunchly against making comments on people's songs, as we've discussed, for most people this is a hobby and I'm not interesting in either giving confidence sapping negative feedback or ego boosting positive feedback. It's too much of a slippery slope for me, you praise one and are less positive about another and suddenly people are upset. When people ask for "honest" feedback they rarely want it unless it's positive etc.

My goal with the show is to provide a place for people to get their music played. For critiques and advice etc. people should look elsewhere :)
Then maybe there should be no chatter at all. Just play the music and be done with it.
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:12 pm

Great show guys ... well except for that train-wreck at the end. Even though I suggested that there's a LOT that needs to be cleaned up on the tune, I don't think I'll be revisiting it for a while - too many painful and stressful memories ... ;)

Ralph Tonge
- Nice mellow groove Ralph - got some sort of Yes/Pink Floyd kind of feel to it. Liked the arrangement - I'm a big fan of ear candy. The stereo spread of the vibrato on the organ could have been a bit narrower - I was getting dizzy listening to it. :) Liked the spoken stuff in the middle - nice touch!

XTC Gig
- Dude, that must have been a blast...

Jay McAllistee - Sounds like this was fun to put together. Again, lots of ear candy happening - instruments panned all over. And I like the EVH hammer-on break there - coolness.

Guitar Strings - {snore} wha? wha? did I nod off there?
Dave King wrote:Then maybe there should be no chatter at all. Just play the music and be done with it.
I like the format of the show as it is. I think of the show is a great vehicle to essentially get non-professional songs played and hear some discussion on the songwriting process - end-to-end. Any comments about the songs seem to be about things that perked the interest of Tony and Dave - I think that's just fine.

Throwing the critique responsibility back to the listener community (i.e. here) is probably the best. If the intended audience (and songs being played) was a bunch of folks trying to "make it", then I'd say, yeah, critique might be in order.
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Chris C » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Enjoyed the show.
If you are referring to our own New Songs forum here then that is not a real review forum. 99% of reviews are positive and I can't believe that 99% of songs are really that perfect. That's the false praise side of my coin.
Most everyone on on the new songs forum is very civil, for sure. But I've certainly received some helpful feedback on there. You can say "the vocals could come up" rather than "your vocals suck". Usually I only review a song if I like it overall. If I just don't like (usually because I just don't like songs of that genre) I just simply don't review it. I think if you are trying to sell a song or get a deal of some sort, there are probably better places to get feedback.

I think guys like Jonathan Coulton could be a model for making a middle class living making original music. I'm sure there are plenty of musicians who make a decent living teaching, playing clubs and weddings and stuff like that. But when it comes to making your own music, I suspect there's not much room in the middle. I think I read somewhere that after four years of music full time, Coulton was making about the same income he made as a programmer or whatever he was doing before.

Anyway, thanks for the show. Enjoy it every week.

Chris
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:24 pm

But Coulton plays live - a lot. He played live even more when he was trying to make it. Playing live seems to be the only way to build an audience that will later buy stuff.
0 x

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Chris C » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Oh, yeah. I know he plays live. I'm just saying, it's a different model than getting signed and touring to promote the album. He's probably selling much less music than a major label act, but at a much higher margin.
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:14 am

There is a huge difference between a critique, and helpful constructive advice, in the same way there's a difference between a formal review and banter between friends.

The first may be beneficial, to those out to make a career, whereas the second is what I think the HMHS and the NSF aspire to. I just like to listen to music - of all sorts - and it's nice to share thoughts and ideas.

Oh yes nice show, in case I haven't mentioned it before.

Best regards to all
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

galbavy
new to this board
new to this board

Post by galbavy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:02 pm

the talkin bit in the first song did have a pink floyd vib to it.

killer sounds cool at speed X2 right before the solo starts.

substatute- is mad with skill vocally and lyrically.

drums aint important...wtf dude must be in a bluegrass band.

if you got the best guitar track in the world goin on and you back it with a casio drum machine goin boom chick boom chick, its gonna sound LAME.

great show guys thanks.
G
0 x

CharlieWardick
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by CharlieWardick » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:30 pm

I know I'm a week behind......

English Summer - I really liked it most of the way through. Ran on long and totally lost me at the part where the
talking began.

Killa was pretty good. Lots of stuff going on in the mix and it all fix together well.

Subsitute - nice song. Pro song? Didn't sound exceptional better or anything over the other songs. I never heard
of the guy. He probably never heard of me either so we'll call it even.

I didn't like that Superstar song at all.

Whatever that last song was I thought it was a good song concept based on the show, but the vocals kinda didn't do
it for me. I heard some guitar overtones that sounded.... well like there was pod used on the track.
-----------
Other subjects.....
-Never got into XTC.
-I hate Line 6 and I'll leave it at that.
-Songs have to have decent drums.

Lyrics - usually don't have more than a concept for what the music is going to represent. Sometimes a verse and
chorus idea. I throw whatever out the rest of the guys and G usually works them out as well as the melody.

Elixir string - I still like them. I used to use 9s, but have slowly been migrating to 10s.

Guitar setup - I takes my guitars in for initial setup to http://www.guitarelectronics.com/ in PHoenix. They do
great setup work. I paid good money for a guitar (20 years old) from the north west (humid). I knew it needed setup
didn't do anything for a while since I wanted to acclimate. It seriously dried out here (not humid) and was
suddenly fretting out horribly all over and up and down the neck. I though it was ruined. Took it in. Now its the
best guitar I have. Still perfect 2 years after. I have taken a few more in. Its worth the money. After that I
change the strings and make the minor seasonal truss rod tweaks myself.

I guess that is all for now.
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:18 pm

CharlieWardick wrote:I didn't like that Superstar song at all.

Whatever that last song was I thought it was a good song concept based on the show, but the vocals kinda didn't do
it for me. I heard some guitar overtones that sounded.... well like there was pod used on the track.
You didn't like it??? :cry:

That was kinda the point of the exercise - written, recorded, mixed and sent off in under 3 hours. Vocals sucked, guitar tone sucked and well, the best part, was that I got to say Tony was a Jerk in a song knowing that, in all likelyhood, it would get played regardless... :twisted:

I'll try better next time... ;)
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

CharlieWardick
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by CharlieWardick » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:22 pm

chckn8r wrote:
CharlieWardick wrote:I didn't like that Superstar song at all.

You didn't like it??? :cry:

That was kinda the point of the exercise - written, recorded, mixed and sent off in under 3 hours. Vocals sucked, guitar tone sucked and well, the best part, was that I got to say Tony was a Jerk in a song knowing that, in all likelyhood, it would get played regardless... :twisted:

I'll try better next time... ;)
Don't take it personal. I don't think you did. I didn't realize you did it in less than 3 hours. There is no way I can go from nothing to a song in 3 hours.
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:52 pm

CharlieWardick wrote:Don't take it personal. I don't think you did. I didn't realize you did it in less than 3 hours. There is no way I can go from nothing to a song in 3 hours.
LOL - No worries, wasn't taking it personal. It was pretty fun putting it together - told Tony that there would have been SO many things I would have changed/re-written/re-recorded from this version. He suggested I take a crack at it, but don't know if I really want to ...

PS - it was a POD - picked the first half-decent preset and didn't do anything except roll of lows in mixing ... total train wreck!
0 x

CharlieWardick
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by CharlieWardick » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:04 pm

chckn8r wrote: LOL - No worries, wasn't taking it personal. It was pretty fun putting it together - told Tony that there would have been SO many things I would have changed/re-written/re-recorded from this version. He suggested I take a crack at it, but don't know if I really want to ...

PS - it was a POD - picked the first half-decent preset and didn't do anything except roll of lows in mixing ... total train wreck!
Doing it over might make it better, but may also not make it better. It would probably lose the original vibe. The guitar stuff sounded okay and I wasn't even thinking pod until I heard thing unique to line 6 modeling sound in the gainer section where your palm muting or something similar. Its this metallic chink overtone thing.
0 x

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:39 pm

English Summer

Lyrics spot on - good organ in the background

Killa
Excellent guitar - very good song indeed

Substitute

Very meaningful lyrics - love the accoustic guitar sound

Sometimes a good set of lyrics is hard to come up with (sometimes you get a really good set of lines witin the ong which helps) - we want to get the job done and it doesn't matter if some of the lyrics are a bit naff - it takes time and hard work to come up with a good set of lyrics -to me the chorus is the main thing and doesn't matter what it takes to get there unless you've something specific to say.

Dave Chick

Nice job done in a short time

Good show boys
0 x