HMHS 176 - There's a Crisis In The Sea Kings Village (10/2/0

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 176 - There's a Crisis In The Sea Kings Village (10/2/0

Post by tonyoci » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:50 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com for the show.

-----------------------------------------
Back for more home recording, songwriting and PC maintenance tips with the genial Dave Criddle and the grumpy Tony Butterworth

I'm issuing my usual call for songs, so please send them along, one per email, to homemadehitshow@gmail.com

This week we discuss

* Alternative Instrumentation
* LaLa.com
* The difference between the almost right word and the right word
* The band I could not remember is Music Go Music check them out on youtube
* Dave discussed Beyond Compare for keeping your music files backed up.
* iTunes Genius

We also have an excellent segment on using VST strings in your songs from Dave Chick.

Songs this week:

The Sea Kings - Villages
John Bowen - Crisis
Sucrepop - Baby I Love You
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMHS 176 - There's a Crisis In The Sea Kings Village (10/2/0

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:50 pm

The Sea Kings - Villages
WOW. :shock: Now that's how you start a song. Blow away the listener right off the bat. Great job on this. Great song. As always, my hat is off to anyone that records acoustic instruments.

* Alternative Instrumentation
Yup, it's tough to do.

*Blowing the tambourine
Hmmmm. Nope, I don't think that's right. I don't think it's even legal

John Bowen - Crisis
Nice job on this. Sort of prog rock-ish. Well done.

I'll have to listen to the rest tomorrow.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:08 pm

The Sea Kings - Villages
nice use of harmony & minimal percussion

good info from Dave Chick's. on creating more realistic keyboard 'string' orchestra.

Criddle's Beyond compare review.
I believe that's called a 'differential' backup.
most decent backup software should be able to this.

thanks for the show!
0 x

CharlieWardick
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by CharlieWardick » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:06 pm

The songs:

Villages - neat song. Great vocal work and interesting instrumentation.

Crisis - good song. I liked the bass. Had a nightclub vibe.

Baby I Love You - It was very well done and sounded great. Not my thing though regarding genre.

The other:

Alternate instrumentation. I like it when it is there. My problem is that I don't ever think of it for my material. I had a GR-20 for almost 2 year and used strings on one song.

There are no right or wrongs words. Just like any song it is all interpretation of the listener.

The midi section things was good. I have no idea what it was really all about though. I don't mess with midi. I am a midiot!

Project-41 thats funny! Project-43 was the name of the band. Yeah I was the first to quit and I was a founding member back in 2005. I quit early 2009. I don't recall any infighting so that must have happened after I left if at all. Not sure what the source of your material was other than what I briefly explained to you some time ago.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:26 am

. . . and I'm back.

*Dave's Midi segment
It definitely sounds better when you get to 28:23. I'd like to hear this with Garriton Personal Orchestra instead of those synthy sounding strings. And with more reverb.

*Lala.com
That synching feature sounds exactly like what MP3.com tried to do 9 or so years ago, and was then sued out of existence. Lala must have done some clever licensing deal. Or they're not so legal as they say.

*Sucrepop - Baby I Love You
Nice job on this. Sort of reminded me of Squirrel Nut Zippers. Sounds good.

Well done as always, gents. Keep on truckin'!
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:19 am

That opening theme song is well done. I have always enjoyed that.

The Sea Kings - Villages - Very original and very nice to listen to. I'm digging this. Lovely voices and instrumentation. Lovely describes this song well. Reminds me of Yes or Rick Wakeman, but without the keys.

Fleet Foxes - I'll be off to Youtube looking up that one. Thanks, Dave.

Alt Instruments - interesting discussion. It is always good to have a piano in the house. We had one in my house growing up, but I dropped it after two lessons. My Dad could play pretty good just by ear. He'd sing Frank Sinatra songs and such.

The right word - it's hard to put into words. I've come to the conclusion that I can't really write lyrics without the music. I can come up with a line or two worthy of a song, but without the music, that's all I can come up with.

Yea, Tony, I agree. I said as much above.

Gigs - I might go play an open mic tonight (not at the message parlor). Not sure yet.

Dave, I think that is the history of most bands. Now you have a band like Boston who did three pretty great albums and then took like 15 years off and then did another crappy one.

And what about the bands who capture a super vibe and then repeat, rinse, repeat, rinse, the rest of their careers? I'm thinking of bands like Counting Crows. Every song sounds like the same musicial formula, which, when listened one at a time, is rather appealing, but when listened over and over, kind of makes me sick.

John Bowen - Crisis - As I said on the forum, this is very well done. I am always amazed how you can stay focused writing these long lyrical songs. This one is well written, by the way. I'm impressed with your midi skills too. A lot of music in this. Nice one.

Dave C. on strings. Interesting. I've got to say, the QChord has a nice realistic string sound, in my opinion. I think because you can actually strum the pad instead of pressing keys helps.

All my songs were wiped out when the old PC died, so except for all the songs uploaded on soundclick, etc., I've lost all works in progress. I have no new ones recorded on this new PC. It's kind of nice. The place is empty but there isn't a lot of clutter either.

I don't have an iPod, cellphone, Blackberry, etc. I'm not really that interested in being that connected to so much information so much of the time. But that's me.

I've really got to start recording again, not that they would be HMHS quality. Since my old PC got wiped out and my old open mic coffee shop closed down, I've sort of been adrift and lazy. I'm really not complaining though and that's what concerns me.

Um, yea, you did forget to mention one thing this week - The Cracks. :twisted:

Project 41 broke up again? That's too bad. I wonder if one of the original guys will carry on the band name with all new members. Maybe a reunion tour down the road? Oh, never mind, they've never met in the first place. They were good though.

"Baby, I Love You," was the title of another, more famous song, wasn't it? Maybe that could be a song challenge down the road. Write a completely new song using a popular song title.

Sucrepop - Baby I Love You - This is cool. Sort of Euro-Country (the beginning reminded me of The Rolling Stones doing Country, which they do so well). The vocals remind me of a lounge type presentation, which I like too. The music reminds me of Big Band stuff. Very nice music. Great song.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

galbavy
new to this board
new to this board

Post by galbavy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:19 pm

i bought a hundred dollar piano with the intent of beating the shit out of it and doing sound experiments with it. i wanted to push it outta a truck and record that crashing piano sound. my daughters wouldnt let me.
so if i wanna do that i need to get another one lol.

i love adding extra stuff into recordings. like cellphones or door knocks, airplanes. heaters lol. i have even put parts of movies into the music. like war of the worlds (new version). not sure of the legalities of it. but it finished my project off nice. plus nobody would even know if i didnt say anything LOL.

project-41 they were alright i guess. but project-43 was way better ;) its to bad they broke up. but it worked out great for me.
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:56 pm

Wow - it was over before I knew it. Short 'n sweet show guys.

The Sea Kings - Villages Holy freakin' krap, this was a fantastic tune guys! Clean, clear, well recorded and mixed - not to mention that the song was just chuck-full of cool ear candy - wonky time signatures, voices all over the place, instruments flying around ... total tasty audio pandimonium!

John Bowen - Crisis Synth-based song ... what can I say, it does it for me every time. Nice juicy, thick bass sound you had there.

I liked the use of "non-standard" instruments - clarinet / ukelele. Nicely recorded by all involved - great mix. She's got a fantastic innocent voice - perfect for the tune. The only complaint I'd have is that the song didn't have any surprises for me - was hoping for something to catch me off guard. I liked it all though.

My segment - I didn't write a script for it, so I probably could have cut out the fancy-pants Italian and French words. I'm planning on extending the segment a bit more for the upcoming IHR show - go further like Zoetrope's suggestion - expanding to a sample library.

iTunes Genius - love it! I've got tons of playlists saved in my library. I hope they develop it further and allow users to adjust parameters on how it goes about choosing the tunes based on your seed-song. Something along the lines of how many degrees of seperation the algorithm will go, etc...

Dunno if I have more to say - got a Cognac and it's late... ;)

Dave
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:53 pm

Hi All! :D
Waiting out the long download on this (1 hour down, 3 more to go :evil: ). At least I can bring it in little by little. For those who don't know me well, I still am cursed by the dreaded pre-historic dial-up connection. My local communication service simply refuses to bring high speed internet into my area (though they constantly send me snail mail adverts on it for trial offers. Go figure that). I'm hoping to have it all by Monday morning, then I'll listen to the whole show and offer my feedback. Looking forward to hearing the other 2 tunes by the Sea Kings and Sucrepop. Based on the reviews I'm reading about them here, I can't wait!

Thanks for playing "Crisis", and thanks for all the feedback on it so far. I recorded it as 2 separate songs and fused them together, so it was an exercise in editing too.

Be back later! :D ;)
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 am

OK. Finally got it and listened to it several times now. A lot to appreciate on this show in music and tips.

Sea Kings-Village-I can't tell you how much I love this song! I'm a sucker for a great acoustic piece. Love the instrumentation, the fancy time changes implanted in there and the super-tight vocal harmony. Lots of great stuff in one song.

Sucrepop-Baby, I Love You-Also a very nice tune with different kinds of instrumentation. The lady has a nice voice. The clarinet brings back memories of my early acoustic tunes. Interesting how it was all put together in various locations. Well done!

Lyrics-I don't lose much sleep over lyrics myself. To me, there is no right or wrong in anything considered ART. Beyond that, it all a matter of opinion for the listener. Perhaps my favorite lyricist is the late Harry Chapin who mastered the "Story Song". My stuff is mostly hypothetical, so I can make the words any reality I choose, but it's a huge challenge to take a real historical event and craft a lyric line around it like Harry did, and he did it so well.

I really appreciate Dave Chick's tutorial on MIDI strings. I'm the guy who started the "Is MIDI A Bad Word?" thread, and Mr. Chick demonstrates a much better way to approach this. Next time I use "strings", I'll try this.

No "Zoetrope Minute"? :(

Was it Project 41? I remember it being 43!! Too bad about their disbanding. It was a great endeavor.

The Backup software sounds like a good idea. I store all my music files on two backups. An 80 gig Ebook and DVD-RW or CD-RW discs. I don't trust the longevity of either, but right now they're all I have. If I ever do get High Speed internet, I'll look into online storage, but the program Dave describes
sounds like it make the job easier.

I made an intro for "Crisis" but sent Tony the wrong file. :roll: so I'll give the details here. The instrumentation was done in MIDI. Mostly from Samplitude Music Studio 14, but the sounds in the Blues bridge were from Mixcraft 4.5. (except the drums). MIDI controller was a Yamaha PSR295 keyboard and vocals were recorded using a Zoom MRS802 HDD recorder and synched to the music tracks. Again, thanks for all the feedback on it.

:D
Last edited by voclizr on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:22 pm

The Sea Kings - Villages: What a fun tune. I just got lost in it. Impressive vocals, with dead on intonation.

Alernative instruments: It's always interesting to read about all of the strange things that the pro studios go through to get a different sound. I've used quite a few tricks, although I'm not sure how well it comes off.

Blowing the tambourine: I've been told that I blow on tambourine.

$75.00 piano: Probably bad.

The right word: Yup, that was Twain, and I credited him in the post. Leonard Cohen rights tons of verses to his songs, and then trims them, but he will spend a year or more to finish a song.

John Bowen - Crisis: Kind of nice and atmospheric. Different from what I usually listen to, so I can't comment on how good it is, but it sounded ok to me.

Dave Chick segment: Very informative and interesting; lots of stuff to pick up in that one. Thanks, Dave.

Sucrepop - Baby I Love You: Boy, it does sound like it was written on a uke! Very pleasant. Makes me want to get a uke and play this song on it. My spousal overunit doesn't like the idea of me having a uke - she says they are "too plinky plinky." I think it probably has more to do with the 5 guitars that I have hanging on the wall already. Oh, well.

Another great show: good music, lively chat, and very little character assassination for a change.
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:34 pm

famouspatrick wrote:Another great show: good music, lively chat, and very little character assassination for a change.
We just needed a character to assassinate, thanks for volunteering :)
0 x

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:10 pm

tonyoci wrote:
famouspatrick wrote:Another great show: good music, lively chat, and very little character assassination for a change.
We just needed a character to assassinate, thanks for volunteering :)
Sure, go for the low hanging fruit. :roll:
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:38 pm

famouspatrick wrote:Sure, go for the low hanging fruit. :roll:
I think it's fair for someone else to have a turn - I've been the brunt for the past few shows ... maybe we should draw straws?

[edit]

No, forget that, let's as listeners make up a HMHS challenge that roasts Tony in imaginative ways... Anyone second the motion?
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

archon
new to this board
new to this board

Post by archon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:47 am

Hello Dave/Tony,

Another great show, really impressed with the Sea Kings tune. Sweet vocals!

Dave,
Excellent segment on the use of MIDI strings (I would love you hear you mix through the Omnisphere synth)
- http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/omnisphere.php

It seems like I learn something from most segments on the HMHS, but this was especially enlightening for me in that it demonstrates a mixing technique that really adds depth/interest to a track. I am eager to apply this to my next mix. Great stuff!

I also enjoy discovering new music. Keep the new bands and music links coming...
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:14 am

archon wrote:Excellent segment on the use of MIDI strings (I would love you hear you mix through the Omnisphere synth)
- http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/omnisphere.php
mmmm... Omnisphere.... One of my favourite toys. I'm thinking of doing an "expanded" version of this segment on IHR - going two routes - demonstrating on a more high-end synth like Omnisphere and then also porting to a sample library (like Garritan as Zoetrope suggests)
0 x

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:05 pm

The Sea Kings - Villages

Excellent idea and voices all over the place - really good song and production.

I have used sounds from a yamaha keyboard even making up a string quartet on a couple of songs. They have some interesting sounds on them and makes the most boring of songs a bit more interesting.

John Bowen - Crisis

Nice song - good keyboards

I also have some songs on LaLa if you fancy a listen!

Nice jazzy sound – she has a nice simple voice that comes across well – well producedand recorded.

I have an ukelele but can’t get the dam thing tuned – nylon strings keep slipping –any ideas would be appreciated.
0 x