HMHS 177 - Stress (10/9/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
archon
new to this board
new to this board

Re: HMHS 177 - Stress (10/9/09)

Post by archon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:58 pm

Great show guys...

Stress
Music helps reduce stress, but writing songs increases stress. Hey, wait a minute, shouldn't stress improve our song writing!? Because, the creative process is our therapy, our outlet. You know, like the "poet needs the pain". ;)

Song Challenge
I like the song challenge idea. The list of possible songs is overwhelming :shock:, but in the spirit of Phil Collins how about "Sussudio"? Speaking of which, (on the topic of writing lyrics), here is an interesting fact about this song: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1908

Other options for the song challenge might come from this list: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/500songs
Maybe you could stop with the top 100 in your quest to find "the" song title?

Songs
The Day That Comes (Les Cotton and Bjorn Niellsen) - Nice guitar work :!: and an excellent recording/mix. This has a great Steve Earl (love his work) vibe.

Portrait (David Claridge) - Wow, super job with the mix on this track! I really like the contrast between elements in the song. I just wanted to keep listening to hear what would happen next. Super job on the acoustic recording. Very tasteful use of reverse effect as well. Like Tony said, this is not a beginner effort, IMHO!! Look forward to hearing more tunes...

Floatin' (Roy) - Love the tone, dude! Super work on the axe! Very interesting, tasteful leads, as well. About the only suggestion I would offer would be the lead vocal. Might want to back off the vocal double to allow the main vocal track ride on top and allow the double track to be more support/thickness.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:54 pm

It's recording that's stressful not writing.
0 x

RJones
new to this board
new to this board

Post by RJones » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:56 pm

First of all, Thanks for all of the kind words regarding my First Song Ever To Be On HMHS!!!
I'm new to it and I'm loving it so far.

Keep up the good work guys!

Now, I need to go record something. Not sure what. I'll come!

Peace ya'll!
Roy
0 x

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Finally catching up with the show...

Les Cotton's and Bjorn Niellsen's song: Great song, big sound, but the mix is a bit unbalanced - everything is happening in my left ear, very little in the right ear.

Not-so-good-sounds-good-in-the-mix: Mixing is a like cooking without a recipe - sometimes you get a good idea and you go for it.

David Claridge's song: The first lyric line put me off, but the second line completely saved it. :lol: Nice piece of work.

Dave's band recording: Sorry Dave, I have to be brutally honest here: The first "blanket" recording sounds a lot better to me than the more ambitious one. :lol: It has stereo and low-end, while the new recording sounds thin and mostly mono. So, more "under the blanket recordings" :shock: if I get to pick. And you really have to upgrade to an H4n so that you can record both from external and internal microphones at the same time. :twisted:

Song challenge: How many Billboard charts are there in total? It sounds like an almost unlimited challenge. OK, not quite, but still.

Roy's song: I looove the drums. Lot's of energy. Reminds me of one of my absolute favourite bands, Imperial Drag. There should be more music like this.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:54 pm

tonyoci wrote:It's recording that's stressful not writing.
You know, I feel that way. I HATE recording, but I love the end results. I look at it as evil that must be tolerated for a desirable result. I'm not the most agile musician in the world and it takes me sometimes 20 or 30 takes to get something right, but with MIDI at least now I can slow the tempo down to record. The vocals always were and still are the most stressful part of the process for me.
I think Billy Joel once said that he hates the process of creating, but loves having created. :D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Les Cotton and Bjorn Niellsen - The Day That Comes: I was having a hard time understanding the lyric on this song; not sure if it is just my old ears or the computer speakers I'm listening on, or possibly the reverb or delay. I'm not normally a fan of over reverby stuff, but I think it's an integral part of this arrangement; coupled with the minor feel of this song, it gives it an ethereal feeling which I liked. I'll give it another shot later on some good headphones, but overall, I thought it was pretty good.

Music or lyrics: So far, all of mine start with a lyrical idea, but I've been thinking of trying the other way around.

Tape splicing: Tom Scholz of Boston was famous for splicing in parts of the song. He said that a lot of their early recordings were more splicing tape than recording tape. I used to splice tape when it broke, but never to consciously edit something.

Electric guitar recorded acoustically: I have never tried that, sounds like a good idea. When I bought my Gibson L6-S, I had it down to two guitars, and finally selected the one that sounded best unplugged, so I guess this makes sense to me.

More VSTs: God, between Pod Farm and Sonar, I have enough plugins and synths to choke a hippo. No more! No more, I beg you!

David Claridge - Portrait: Trippy! Lots going on there; maybe a little too much. I enjoyed this song, but maybe would have liked to hear a break in the middle - something more sparse like a single voice and one or two instruments. If this is your first recording, you are already way ahead of most of us on technique.

Modern computer recording: I feel very fortunate to have the tech we have now. I started out on a Porta-1, and got frustrated with the poor quality of the mixdowns. I absolutely love the quality that we can get now, for little or no money.

Dave's segment: Pretty cool. You get a lot out of the Zoom H4.

Song Challenge: Interesting idea.

Good song/bad lyrics: In the late '60s, there was a lot of discussion about whether Dylan was a poet or a songwriter, and my friends and I decided that he wrote poems as poems and songs as songs. IMHO, lyrics aren't meant to be looked at as poetry, but should be considered in the context of the song. Leonard Cohen is another example; he writes songs, and he also writes poems. I am a lyric man myself - I always want to know the lyric, and I particularly enjoy when the lyric, melody, and arrangement work together in a way that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. On the other hand, I like a lot of songs that have pretty poor lyrics (The Beatles "Birthday", Led Zep's "Whole Lotta Love," etc.)

Roy in La Mesa, CA - Floatin': Nice rocker. Sounds pretty good, and some of the lyrical twists made me smile.

Another fun show, guys.
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Chris C » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:42 pm

I'm a show behind (again)

Another fun show. Three really good songs.

Another variation on the song challenge - write a song using the same title of the #1 hit on your birthday. That way we'd have lots of different titles. Mine is Honey by Bobby Goldsboro. I wasn't familiar with it; listening to it now via YouTube. Went 5 weeks, just after (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay.
0 x

CharlieWardick
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by CharlieWardick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Day That Comes:
Sounds like Springsteen does R.E.M. Maybe the vox were too far back or too much verb? Heck I don't know song
sounded good. Nice guitar solo.

Portrait: Good song. The reverse sounding stuff was cool.

Floatin: Cool rocker and lyrics. Feel like I got ripped off with that fade out ending.

Daves recording experiments. I think you need to find the balance between the first and second recording. The bottom end was heavy in the first and gone in the second.
0 x

classicgeek
new to this board
new to this board

Post by classicgeek » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm behind with my listening... again. It's your own damn fault, you know. I can't listen to the Homemade Hit Show "in the background": I've got to focus on it. So I can't listen to it at work, or I'd be fired. :roll:

Anyhow.

Floatin! The energy in that song was awesome. I had my nits to pick with a couple of the drum hits that were distracting, but the overall energy of the song was way up there, and it grabbed my ears. It wasn't just that it was up tempo, it was lightning in a bottle.

That's what I wanted to say. Rock on.
0 x
Simon

Mac Mini - Garageband '09 - Apogee Duet