HMHS 178 - Helium (10/16/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 178 - Helium (10/16/09)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:26 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com

Dave Criddle and Tony Butterworth are back (Dave is back only because I under estimated the amount of helium I needed to send him into outer space), discussing songwriting and home recording.

This week we covered

* Gary Go's Twitter written song
* Dave's Busy
* Tony is not busy but is not spending his time songwriting
* Chris Walla and Jay Robbins songwriting video on NPR http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =113659105
* Beta Bugs audio plugins http://www.betabugsaudio.com/
* A funny home made music video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWhUeAy35qc
* Dave discusses whether he likes making songs in one hour or not

This weeks tunes

The Legendary Ten Seconds - The Most Beautiful Girl from Torquay

Harry Stout - I'm With The Band

Dave Criddle (hot off the presses) - Rainy
Dave would like to add that he realizes the vocals don't sound too good

Dan Overholt - Sun in My Skies
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: HMHS 178 - Helium (10/16/09)

Post by criddlerus » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:35 pm

I think I will write a quick review:

I love the mandolin and acoustic instruments on this one! The lick is very memorable. The vocals are very soft and gentle and wow, how about that key change! :) Great work!

Rockin' out as usual! You get such a great, crunch guitar sound. The vocal sound is really pro too with just the right amount of reverb with a great mix. Nice cowbell! Subtle yet tasteful. Like the vocal harmonies on the chorus. Great work Harry!

Dave would like to add that he realizes the vocals don't sound too good

Ok, this one needed more time in the oven. :) That is what happens when you try to do a song in an hour total. Tony seems to be the only one who can pull this off. ha. I recorded the vocals really quietly. Boy, lead vocals are very important. Sorry to subject everyone to this. 8)

Hello Dan in Columbus! Glad you are listening. Let me know if you are ever down this way!
Great, sunny sound coming through. Everything is mixed really well and the sound is very clean. Nice dynamics in the song. It builds well into the chorus. Great vocals.

Great stuff everyone!
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:04 pm

The mandolin is definitely the hook here. Good one.

* Gary Go's Twitter written song
I don't get it, how do you use Twitter to write a song?

I like the panned guitars. Good job. It's got that Harry Stout sound.

Needs more helium. :D I think this must be the bass player's headphone mix. Needs more vocal. Otherwise sounds good and rockin.

Nice mellow tune. Sounds good.

Another hot show. I'll have to check out that songwriting video, sounds good.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:48 pm

He gathered lyrics ideas from his followers on twitters and had them comment on drafts etc. Then he put out different melody ideas and received more suggestions in return.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:50 am

So an online collaboration with all his Twitter followers. "Interesting." (TM)

Meanwhile, I just watched that NPR video. Good stuff, everyone should take a gander, it's not long and the finished song is good.
0 x

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:24 am

The Legendary Ten Seconds - The Most Beautiful Girl from Torquay: I had never heard of Torquay before, and was glad that Tony enlightened us on it. I found the song quite enjoyable, and liked the mix of instruments; it had a nice, almost Mediterranean flavor, probably the mandolin sounding like a bouzouki to my old ears.

Playing cover songs: I think this is one of the best ways of stretching yourself musically, and a great way to improve your playing. If you try to learn some songs that aren't in your usual playlist, you could find that it unconsciously changes your writing style. I can't believe that I, the "Anti-Tony," am thinking that he's on the right track. :shock:

Writing with someone else: I always wanted to try it, but never found another was serious about it. I think it would be interesting, especially if the other person's main instrument is different from yours.

Never heard of FamousPatrick: I am most famous for being unknown, so my plan is working. That's not assassination, that's a Monty Python fish slap!

Harry Stout - I'm With The Band: Great tune, FrozenMan! You can certainly spank that guitar twice as better than I can! And boy, can I understand that lyric!

Song morphing: My songs very rarely turn out the way I originally intend them to. I think that songs know their own way, and will find their way home by themselves if we let them.

Imperfect rhymes: I only recently started using them, and I am finding it very liberating, but I still tend to push for perfect rhymes and natural cadence.

More free plugins? Back! Back! No more! I can't take it anymore! Too much, too many! Having a house full of free shit is still a house full of shit!

Pattison?!?: All hail the great god Pattison! :!: :lol: I say this as someone who has all three books and has read two of them more than once. :roll:

Dave Criddle (hot off the presses) - Rainy: Probably the best one hour written and recorded song I've ever heard. I have to try this sometime, it sounds like a good exercise.

Dan Overholt - Sun in My Skies: Very pretty. Nice textures, and the vocals are clear.

Fun show.
0 x
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:13 am

The Legendary Ten Seconds - The Most Beautiful Girl from Torquay - Very pretty song.

The media is really pissed at the Balloon Boy incident. They will make the Dad pay big time for taking us all for a ride. I was off that day and watched it along with all the other saps.

I think learning covers can help with original songwriting. In fact I'm sure it can since that has been discussed on this show before.

I have been trying to write new songs but I've been really lackluster right now. The thing is that my layoff has'nt been that long when compared to the pros. My last song was in August. Heck, some bands go years between albums. But, for homerecorders, its seems if we don't have a new song every other week, we are fading away. I'm trying not to let that type of thinking settle in my mind. I have thought of taking up painting or even play writing (I did some of that in college), and resume songwriting next year. We'll see. Watch, I'll have a new song posted tonight. :shock: You can't gage this stuff.

Tony, you should do the UStream thing in the meantime. Heck, so should I. So should Dave.

Didn't we talk about stress release last week?

Garry Go - I'll look him up on Youtube.

Whoops, I've got to go. I'll be back.

I've made videos mostly so the songs get more exposure. I have a few with a few thousand hits on them. But they are a pain in the neck unless it is a straight shot video.

I really enjoy those NPR videos.

I would love to collab with someone in person. It has yet to happen in any real way. e-Collabs are more difficult and I don't have the energy for them lately.

I own zero mp3's, so I guess I'm okay as is.

Harry Stout - I'm With The Band - Good road rocker. Great guitar riffs. Good one. Harks back to the Foghat, Bad Company type sound.

Hmm...good discussion on lyrics.

After viewing the NPR videos, I now see that the hour song writing challenge is a homerecorders phenomenon. I think we record in dog days, where a two day challenge for the pros is one hour for us. If I've learned one thing of late, time is relative where recording is concerned. I haven't recorded for two months and I feel like I've been away for five years. :shock:

If I cut all unnecessary pieces out of my songs, I'd have three minutes of silence. :shock: Heck, that might be the best song I've ever done.
:D

The old "make an appointment to write" approach, hey Tony? It could work. But it's all relative (see comments above).

Dave Criddle (hot off the presses) - Rainy - Great intro, Dave. The instrumentation sounds fantastic. Really good sound. I'm afraid the vocals are a bit low on my work PC to really pick up and get a feel for. But the melody of the vocals is great too. Oh, it's a short one. Good song. I really think the best songs in pop music are the shorter ones. Three minutes really does seem to be tops for this genre...unless you count all the great ones four and five minutes long. :?

Dan Overholt - Sun in My Skies - This is very pleasant. This could work well for an artist like Kenny Chesny or one of the current Pop-Country stars. Nice song.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:50 pm

Are these shows getting shorter? I can usually count on them to get me through at least one workout... Maybe I'm getting lazy and taking more breaks between activities... ;)

The Legendary Ten Seconds - The Most Beautiful Girl from Torquay - Yes! Very, very cool with the mandolin. I love hearing some different sounds in tunes. Also refreshing to hear a tune without any drums or bass and not miss them. Very nice.

Harry Stout - I'm With The Band Nice rockin' tune Harry. Love the vocal harmonies on "it's okay, it's alright" - fit great. Got some great Boston / southern rock feel to it.

Dave Criddle (hot off the presses) - Rainy Yeah, really hoping that we hear another remix of this tune - would have loved to hear the vox up... Otherwise, it had a cool groove!

Dan Overholt - Sun in My Skies - Dan, great vocal delivery! There's a lot of thought into the arrangement and mix - fantastic!

Colaborations - love them ... {ahem}...
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:14 pm

Show are not getting shorter, based on file size this one was 52mb, last week was 55mb, so was the week before. before that we go 52,47,61,56,50,51,44,44

I think time just gets faster as you get older (or you are FF the songs or something)
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:45 pm

tonyoci wrote:(or you are FF the songs or something)
I'm listening to the songs... ;)
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:21 pm

The most beautiful girl in Torquay

Nice melody to this song - nice accoustic recording

I'm with the band - Nice song Harry excellent rocking guitars with very good vocals.

Rainy - Good song Dave a shame about the vocals but they weren't that bad - needs a bit more work go back and do the vocals again and you will have a good song there.

Sun in my skies

Really really good song the best I've heard for a long time - good vocals, production and accoustic guitar sound - by the way can I pinch the title - as I was listening to the song all sorts of lyrics came to me because of the title.

I have had a really good run of songwriting lately having finished 4 songs in the last month and busy working on another 5 which are in various forms- 2 need vocals to finish them and others need to be recorded and shaped a bit at the moment .

Look forward as always to the song challenge when you ready tony.

I would love to work with someone else to write songs but I don't now anybody doing what I'm doing around where I live - maybe I should join a buskers club or something but performing scares me to death.

Another excellent show
0 x

CharlieWardick
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by CharlieWardick » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:35 pm

tonyoci wrote:Show are not getting shorter, based on file size this one was 52mb, last week was 55mb, so was the week before. before that we go 52,47,61,56,50,51,44,44

I think time just gets faster as you get older (or you are FF the songs or something)
Do you need longer songs? I still need to get off my butt and get caught up and listen to the last couple shows as well as send you song that is like 3.5 minutes. We have other songs though that are around the 5-6 minute mark, but would be way heavier than you normally play on the show so I wouldn't even consider sending those in or maybe I should?
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:31 pm

We don't play heavier songs because no one sends any.

Song length is not a factor.
0 x

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rocles » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:08 am

----------------------------------------------------------------
Nice guitar riff, very natural sounding production, good song

-------------------------------
Good rocker, love the twin Lead riffs

----------------------------------------
More vocals ! Sounds like a great backing track

------------------------------
Terrific production, and my kind of song. Super vocals

Twitter...its becoming quite useful...partly responsible for my covers band Strawberry Fools getting two Soundclick Number 1's, which completely amazed us.

Writing songs in an hour...I wrote all the Lyrics to a song in 30 minutes this week, never done that before...and i'm pleased with it too.

Good show chaps, keep it up.

Les
0 x

Joe Mac
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Joe Mac » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:29 pm

Another great show guys :D
Rushing as usual so a couple of quick comments.

Yet again a good selection of well (Home) made songs, really enjoyed them all.

Dave, please, please, please spend at least one more hour on Rainy.
I love the way it starts especially, and would really like to hear a slighty more polished version(but not too much as the rawness already there sounds great!

Slainte (Cheers)
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:28 am

Hey All,

Thanks for all the comments about my re-doing Rainy. I think I will definitely try and do a "real" vocal for it. I was really just forcing myself to finish it for that week. Once again, I am glad I did because I am somewhat happy with the results and happy to have finished another song. I always feel great when I have completed a song after feeling I don't have time, don't have inspiration, etc. Just push through it and something will come out. This is a case and point. I will clean it up.

Now I just need a soundproof vocal booth. Maybe I should treat myself to one for my basement! :)

I am not sure I will finish the song soon though guys. I had a horrible weekend last weekend and lost my mother rather quickly. She went in for an outpatient surgery on Friday, Started feeling bad Saturday, EMT on Sunday and died Monday in the hospital. Very horrible experience. She had a lot of medical conditions going on. I wanted to let my HMHS friends know. She was my band's biggest fan. :(

Dave
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:47 am

I've always wanted one of these:
http://www.dawbox.com/DAWBOOTH.htm

This guy posted his basement studio plans and and a daily log of the build:
http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtop ... 282a1d16fd

RE: your mom
That's really rough, crid, very sad to hear of your loss.
0 x