HMHS 179 - Alone (10/30/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 179 - Alone (10/30/09)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:28 am

Of course you can find the show at www.homemadehitshow.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
On my own this week. A short, less talk kinda show. Amongst other things we debut the song I just did with Albert Forssell

Brief comments on

* The recording quality of "classic" music
* How I (and maybe you) need a focus when writing/recording
* Dave's, Tomas and Mike Wich birthday's
* Some detailed emails to read out about today's songs

A detailed segment on the song I just completed with Albert Forssell

Songs:

I'm Gonna Miss You - Band Vagon

Wasted Lives - James Bryson

Bad World - Tony Butterworth and Albert Forssell

Cold Omaha - Brian Natzel
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Re: HMHS 179 - Alone (10/30/09)

Post by Sungodv » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Good to hear the old style HMHS....I'll be back for more remarks later, but hate to say that the ending clip of Bad World is a direct rip of this tune:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5768500

:nono:

I miss you so much, Rob. :cry:

(hope Cracky edits his post instead of reposting :? )

Yay, Cracky!!
Last edited by Sungodv on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:16 pm

I'm Gonna Miss You - Band Vagon - Nice mellow circa '70's sound. Good song.

Boy, that is some process they went through. What makes me so sad (maybe that is too strong a word) is that after all that and a special listen here, the song will be thrown into the anonymous mix with the other 1,000,000,000,000 songs out there on the Internet. Almost makes me want to throw up my hands and say what's the use.

Dave, my condolences to you and your family.

Do you think that is the case (old records vs homerecording today)? I'd have to hear more from you guys on this subject before I can form an opinion. I'm not saying that it's not true, I just find it surprising.

Okay, I've got to submit this and come back and edit the other comments. This PC is going crazy. I just downloaded IE8 yesterday and I've got tabs popping up all over the place. :twisted: I've lost this post once, don't want to lose everything I've typed this time.

I think focus does help.

Happy Birthday to all.

Wasted Lives - James Bryson - Great heavy guitar rocker here. I like that gritty sound. Great wailing on the ax.

That one reminded me of monty. I miss monty.

PC's flickering. Post time.

That was minerman? Good one, minerman.

I hate IE8. I liked IE6. If it works, don't fix it. I think I've got to shut the PC down. Either it's about the crash or Sun told my boss I was fooling around on the net and they are now monitoring me. :shock:

Dang it. Everytime I type a character, the post screen drops and I can't see what I'm typing. :evil:

Bad World - Tony Butterworth and Albert Forssell - Where have I heard this before? I think Albert sent me a copy of this a while back to listen to. Yes, that's it. I'm glad to see this song saw the light of day. It was good when I first heard it. I'm glad to see you could add to this, Tony. As I recall, Albert's original was pretty good and gritty.

Yes, that demo is what I heard. I love that gritty sound.

See, Tony, that's what I don't understand. How can you find loops to fit that beat? That amazes me. It probably also frees you up to be more creative since you can find beats to fit the song you wrote. If I am going to use anything other than guitar, I need the drum beat first.

Dang, Tony, you are your own personal Jamstudio. That's good the way you piece it all together.

I've got to post and come back and edit (again).

Great lyrics there, Albert.

A lot of work on this one. Great job, Tony. Great song, Albert and Tony.

I love those vibes played in the song.

Why does my screen keep dropping?

Vikings move? That would be a tragedy. I know they beat the Ravens two weeks ago, but, still, the Vikings are a classic NFL team. I hope they stay. I love watching Brett Farve go to work (unless it's against us). We lost the Colts and anyone my age or older still feels the pain. Speaking of NFL, Sun, the Broncos come in to town on Sunday. A must win for us.

Cold Omaha - Brian Natzel - Why doesn't that forum user name ring any bells?

This is very cool song. I love the disjointed sound. Great lyrics. Love that chorus. Great job.

Good show, Tony. Hurry back, Dave.
Last edited by The Cracks on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Sungodv wrote:but hate to say that the ending clip of Bad World is a direct rip of this tune
As always an interesting perspective you have there when you consider that Riff got practically every loop he had from me :) I've probably used that clip in 20 songs, especially in the one's I did before I learned how to play (in my DJ loop mixer days)
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:04 pm

Cracks, the loops thing is easy. If the song is at a set tempo then Reaper (mostly), Acid and most packages will take the loop and make it fit. So in this case the song was at 130bpm, but the loops I used were 116, 125, 135 etc and Reaper corrected them to 130. Loops usually speed up well but don't slow down well.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:11 pm

Tony, that's it! I still use basic old Mixcraft 2.0. I can't do all that.

I see my screen stopped dropping. It must be an edit thing.

I love this Cold Omaha. Who does this remind me of? I don't know, but it's cool.

"Nothing left to do but break the law..."

Man, I wish I had written that one. :agree:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:09 pm

decleater is a sometime poster in this forum, not elsewhere.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:46 pm

I'm Gonna Miss You - Band Vagon
Great smooooth sound, with nice synthy stuff.

Wasted Lives - James Bryson
Nice rocker, the guitars sound good and crunchy.

Bad World - Tony Butterworth and Albert Forssell
Cool sounding. I really like that xylophone/synth sound. Nice touch. Also the little picked guitar parts. Some real ear candy. Well done.

back for more soon.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Cold Omaha - Brian Natzel
Really liked this, reminded me of what I like about early Beck. Breaking rules and just making music that grabs your ears and makes you listen. Cool stuff.

Good show, although the contribution of the Crid-meister was missed.
0 x

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:20 am

It feels like half a show without Criddle. You should at least have some basic samples of his voice to use in the right places ;)

I really liked "Cold Omaha" - it reminded me of one of my favourite artists, Emperor X (discovered through HMHS, nonetheless) in it's attitude. Original, and a bit off-balance (in a good way).

Thanks for the comments on "Bad World". My demo was just a quickly assembled throw-away recording. I often do that to try out the tempo, key, etc. before starting the real recording project. In this case, I didn't know which style it should have, and my voice didn't fit, which made it perfect for a collab. Tony did an excellent job and I've just been bouncing to it a couple of more times.

Cracks - yes, that's the demo I sent you. I was stuck with the lyrics for a year or so, but finally managed to wrap it up.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:10 pm

storpotaten wrote:Cracks - yes, that's the demo I sent you. I was stuck with the lyrics for a year or so, but finally managed to wrap it up.
You wrapped it up nicely. Great lyrics. Great song. But that shouldn't surprise me. In fact it doesn't.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:50 pm

storpotaten wrote:It feels like half a show without Criddle. You should at least have some basic samples of his voice to use in the right places ;)
Interesting...... I loved that one...... Howdy....... Let's play another song... Thanks Tony..... Bye Bye

I guess that is really all you need. 8)

storpotaten wrote:Thanks for the comments on "Bad World"
Yeah, Tony has a knack for those techno-house tunes. The song was cool and the vocals sounded really pro. Great job on this one guys.
storpotaten wrote:In this case, I didn't know which style it should have, and my voice didn't fit, which made it perfect for a collab.
That is a good idea. I am sure I have some "creations gone wrong" that could be given a collaboration treatment.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:26 am

criddlerus wrote:Interesting...... I loved that one...... Howdy....... Let's play another song... Thanks Tony..... Bye Bye

I guess that is really all you need. 8)
:lol:

Coming soon, from the makers of Band in a Box, it's Dave in a Box. Just add this VST to your podcast for instant Criddle commentary.
0 x

Pablo
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Pablo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:44 am

Hi all, this is Pablo from Band Vagon, Spain (please excuse my english).

Thank you for your kind comments about "I'm gonna miss you"
The Cracks wrote:I'm Gonna Miss You - Band Vagon - Nice mellow circa '70's sound. Good song.

Boy, that is some process they went through. What makes me so sad (maybe that is too strong a word) is that after all that and a special listen here, the song will be thrown into the anonymous mix with the other 1,000,000,000,000 songs out there on the Internet. Almost makes me want to throw up my hands and say what's the use.
This is a very interesting comment. I have wondered about that so many times... all we know that writing and producing one song takes a lot of time, and a lot of effort. I'm afraid that "sad" is not a too strong word here. Sometimes I wonder if music nets like Myspace, (e.g.), are really useful. Well, it depends on your target.
Recognition? Well, you, The Cracks, said that there are billions of songs over there, and it's true. Probably the song would sink in "that ocean". So what's the use? Really don't know.
Fortunately you can listen to a song here and give your opinion, and perhaps the song will be throw into the mix. The amount of bands and songs is huge and the result is certainly contradictory. So no pretty blondes or expensive cars by now. Good comments? Thank you. That's fine.

Cheers!!
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Here's one for the road, Pablo.
0 x

Pablo
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Pablo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Zoetrope wrote:Here's one for the road, Pablo.
ha,ha,ha!!! :P
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:23 pm

Tony a good solo show! Missed the Criddle discussion and comments, but all in all, it was quite good - especially the tune you and Albert did together. That was fantastic. Geez, your vox are getting more and more confident dude! Superb man!!! Albert great tune - I really like what you came up with.

Wouldn't say your voice was too hot, but rather drums were to low, I'd probably have brought the kick and snare up (or maybe compress them some more) more than drop your vocals down.

Band Vagon - Nice groovy track - synths ... mmmmm....

James Bryson - Dude you are channeling the '80's rock guitar sound! Really liked the tune - Boston/Queen influence in there?

Brian Natzel - Yeah, like others said here - nice raw, sound that grabs ya. Did you steal Nigel's infinite sustaining guitar? ;)
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page