HMHS 181 - DJ Tone (11/21/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 181 - DJ Tone (11/21/09)

Post by tonyoci » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:44 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com for the show
------------------------------------------------

As Michael Butler from the Rock and Roll Geek Show likes to say, I pulled this one out of my a$$. No plan to do a show but had an hour free and was ready to go. Not much structure, plenty of rambling.

I talk about

* Use the Amazon links to buy your presents
* Make a donation so we can buy Dave a present
* Audio Fidelity discussion in the last shows forum thread
* The new streaming link on the forum
* Call us from the link on the webpage or at (408) 782 4021

Songs and music

The Morrisons - Over Five Mountains
Dan Bull - Dear Lily (a response to Lily Allen)
Supraluxe - On The Coast
Butch Walker - You Belong To Me (cover)
Frank Canonica - Everyone Dreams
Bad Lieutenant - Sink or Swim
Dave Cooper - Back To Me

--
Tony Butterworth
www.homemadehitshow.com
0 x

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Re: HMHS 181 - DJ Tone (11/21/09)

Post by davecooper » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:34 am

:P

Hi Tony Thanks for playing my song Back to me.

Really enjoyed the show with such a diverse choice of music.

Thanks Dave
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:27 pm

The Morrisons - Over Five Mountains
Thumbs up to the acoustic instruments. Nice simple arrangement. Sounds good.

Dan Bull - Dear Lily (a response to Lily Allen)
Entertaining.

Supraluxe - On The Coast
Sounds great. Very pro. And it's a good song too. So double bonus points for that. Rockin' solo. Great job on this.

Butch Walker - You Belong To Me (cover)
Don't know the original, but this sounds great. This is home recorded? I don't believe it.

Ah, after the track you say it's in a studio. Yup, it's got that sound.

Frank Canonica - Everyone Dreams
Great job on this. Sweet and simple. Well done.

Bad Lieutenant - Sink or Swim
poppy!

Dave Cooper - Back To Me
Another good tune.

Great solo show. Rock on.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:33 am

Hey, I like the new iPod type thing for listening to show. It makes it much easier.

The Morrisons - Over Five Mountains - Nice little mountain music.

Dan Bull - Dear Lily (a response to Lily Allen) - Boo Dan Bull. (See open topic thread). :D

Supraluxe - On The Coast - Cool song. They do have a pro sound. Catchy sound. Cool organ.

There is a general difference in the sound quality between a Pro song (i.e. Stones, Bruce, etc.) and homerecorded songs, but I couldn't tell you how, why, or what to do about it, if anything needs to be done. Pro songs seem to have a bigger and/or fuller sound, it seems to me.

Butch Walker - You Belong To Me (cover) I don't know the original, but this is good. Bouncy little number, hey? See, now by itself, I'd say this has a pro sound to it. But play me a real pro song and I could tell the difference, probably...maybe...who cares when a homerecording sounds that good.

Frank Canonica - Everyone Dreams - That was very nice. Was that a one minute song? I like it.

Tony, I try to play the guitar at least 10 minutes a day. It keeps the fingers callused. Sometimes I just run throught the my known chords, which ain't many. I do think my goal for 2010 is to try and learn some lead guitar techniques (scales, etc), so I hope to practice that type thing for a few minutes each night while watching the news or something.

Bad Lieutenant - Sink or Swim - Cool guitar. Now this doesn't sound much fuller than the home recorded songs. Just goes to show. They may be no difference between a well recorded home recorded song and a pro song.

Dave Cooper - Back To Me - Neat song. Well written song. Nice production. Reminded me of the Buchingham Nicks or something similar from '67 or so. Good one.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Joe Mac
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Joe Mac » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:02 am

Very entertaining show (they always are). Lots of good songs to listen to so I'll have to play it a few times for them all to register.

Really liked Dan Bull's response to Lily. I agreed with him 100%. Having grown up with vinyl I'm old fashioned in that I still like to have my music come with a nice cover and stored on a shelf. However it's nice to preview things so you don't end up with the good (single) song and nine bits of filler rubbish. I also think downloading has helped prevent us getting ripped off by helping to keep CDs at a reasonable price. It may also mean more people will make music for the love of music itself rather than the lure of money.

I checked out the Butch Walker video, great fun. Reminds me of how I always think a cover version should put a little spin on the original. Make it faster, slower, more acoustic, less acoustic, change the gender, anything that shows a different side to the song.
0 x

fabkebab

Post by fabkebab » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:09 pm

I thought the "answer to lilly allen" was brilliant - I dont really like rap music, but I love the influences it has brought into modern music - great track!!
0 x

gotnomind
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by gotnomind » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:51 pm

Hello out there...geez I finally found it to writing here, although I'm a few episodes behind. Aside form my little song, which I am glad got a good response, I was blown away by every song in this episode. Such wonderfully crafted tunes and all recorded so well.
Keep up the incedible work
Frank Canonica (The Great Constantini)
0 x

classicgeek
new to this board
new to this board

Post by classicgeek » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Enjoyed the show. The extra music and less talk means that I can listen to this one even when I'm working. I enjoy the talk in the regular episodes, but it's nice to have a music-heavy one like this every once in a while.

The songs which stood out in the episode are the Dan Bull's Dear Lily Allen and Butch Walker's version of You Belong With Me. No real surprise there. They each have that "extra something" that force you to listen closely: the commentary of Dear Lily Allen or the transgendering of You Belong With Me. The things that I take away from these are:
  • Dear Lily Allen: the rhythm of the rap was bouncy and fun and the transition between the spoken word and the rap was smooth and appeared effortless, but I'm guessing it wasn't. The lyric repetition of the ", Lily" at the end of many of the lines was nice.
  • You Belong With Me: I followed up watching the YouTube video and it was really neat to watch Butch Walker going through the process of building tracks (the first part is all candid videos of him doing the recording). Yes, he's in a studio, but he's doing the same kind of thing that any of us is doing. It also led me to the video of him performing it live and the energy of the performance and the crowd was awesome.
Frank Canonica's Everyone Dreams: My first impression was negative, but the neat thing was that it won me over as the sound grew. I was disappointed when it ended! I'd like to hear an extended version that continued the sound evolution.

Bad Lieutenant (that's Leftenant!! :roll: ): I like the backing vocals and the dreamy texture that it seems to have. Gotta love those yeah yeah yeahs. Not every lyric needs to be deep and soulful.
0 x
Simon

Mac Mini - Garageband '09 - Apogee Duet