HMHS 183 - Back Together Again (12/4/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 183 - Back Together Again (12/4/09)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:04 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com for the show.

Send your christmas songs NOW

Send your songs and other stuff whenever you wish.

Give us a call at 408 782 4021 or from the link of the page

Use our Amazon link (found on the site) for your (US based) Holiday purchases

Remember we need feedback or else we wither and die.

This week we talk about the Songbook show running again in the UK. Dave discusses RMS. Tony has been listening to country music and Echo and The Bunnymen, Dave to Jupiter One and Love Tractor.

This weeks songs:

Sam's Song - Dave Chick
Martini and Wanda - Andrew Richardson
Martine and Sue (Acoustic) - Andrew Richardson
Autumn Sky - Ralph Tonge
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Re: HMHS 183 - Back Together Again (12/4/09)

Post by voclizr » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:31 am

Next week at this time I expect to be setting up my high speed internet, so soon I'll be a regular here.
Can't wait!!! :yes: :clap: :metal: :music: :whistle: :rock: :^: :sing: :drum: :guitar:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:21 am

voclizr wrote:Next week at this time I expect to be setting up my high speed internet, so soon I'll be a regular here.
Next Thursday is the last ever show.

Just kidding :)
0 x

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:24 am

Sam's Song - Dave Chick
Like the mellow laid back vibe here. I really liked the mix especially at the start. I never spotted the 4/4 6/4 thing.

I look forward to the nuclear fusion show, it'd be nice to have an update on CERN's search for the Higgs Boson. I always knew the HMHS would be the place for all my quantum needs. :look:

Simple Minds. I just stayed at Jim Kerr's hotel in Sicily a month ago. But he wasn't there. :( His nephew was though... and he looked like him. 8)

Feedback. Thanksgiving. Oh yes when you celebrate ditching the embrace of our monarch. Don't blame you. I wish we could get rid of her and parliament.

Professional set ups. I need to do that but I ain't got round to it. Recommend Elixir BIG time. once you've tried them I'll be surprised if you go back. Make sure you get the nanoweb, that's the thinner coating they offer. The others make it sound a bit too 'plastic'.

Martini and Wanda - Andrew Richardson & Martine and Sue (Acoustic) - Andrew Richardson
I preferred the fuller sounding mix myself though I liked the acoustic version too. Part (the opening to the verse) of this really reminded me of another song... On a 2nd listen I can't put my finger on it... It's an irish folk thing... and it's 'Whiskey in the Jar'.

I've been listening to Brian Eno "Ambient 2: Plateaux of Mirrors". Awesome.

Autumn Sky - Ralph Tonge
Wow, this sounds like a year's work on one song. I liked its phases but I wonder if it could have been a bit shorter. It became hard to follow. Great musicianship evident and a big musical vision.
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:25 pm

Sam's Song - Dave Chick
I like the groovy beat that kicks in. Nice piano playing and tone too. I like the way this tune builds. Good job.

Hm. Tony recorded his part of the show through a toilet paper roll. Clever idea. :esp:

Nice fun tune. I like all the added instruments. Nice use of spices in this stew.

Acoustic version: Interesting

Dave discusses RMS.
. . . . . . . . huh?

Autumn Sky - Ralph Tonge
Synthy Genesis goodness. Cool moody tune. Nice one.

Another top notch show. :^:
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:51 pm

Sam's Song - Dave Chick

Some of your best work Mr. Chick. As I said in the show, your parts weave nicely in and out of each other. I love the really whispery bgvocs you put in late in the song. That part made me go "wow" Great job. :music:

I liked both versions but preferred the more finished one. This is just a really solid song with great lyrics, a great melody, performed well. Excellent job! :clap:

Autumn Sky - Ralph Tonge
Good to know I am not the only prog rock fan around here. Great stuff. :^:

Polly wrote:I've been listening to Brian Eno "Ambient 2: Plateaux of Mirrors". Awesome
It is easy to make bad ambient music. Brian makes really thick and complex pallets that are wonderful and hypnotic to listen to. I agree and recommend all of his stuff. When you are done listening to Brian, try Harold Budd. Anyone else like him?

I like your quote "songwriting is its own reward". Very true. I get a lot of satisfaction from writing something I am happy with and it doesn't matter if I play it for another soul.
Zoetrope wrote: Hm. Tony recorded his part of the show through a toilet paper roll. Clever idea. :esp:
LOL. He actually used a tin can and some string.
Zoetrope wrote: Dave discusses RMS.
. . . . . . . . huh?
All right, so that was a visual one. Peak volume, which most meters show, only shows you how loud the peaks are. That doesn't really tell you the apparent volume of the sound. For instance, if you have an uncompressed recording, it may peak at 0db, but the average volume of the sound is -15db. A heavily compressed version of the same recording will have its peaks clipped so the average volume can be brought up to -8db while still peaking at 0db.

The compressed version will sound louder. The RMS meters in Reaper will actually show you that the compressed one will sound louder, even though the peaks will be almost the same. It quantifies how loud a recording will actually sound. You could use this to tell if you need more mastering or compression.

Take a look at them if you have reaper. On the Master Track, they are the two meters on the outside. The two middle meters are Peak, the outside two are RMS. You didn't even know you had them!

More confused now?
0 x

detuned
new to this board
new to this board

Post by detuned » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:06 am

A very enjoyable show this week with a nice selection of songs.

Well done boys...keep er comin.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:02 am

Sam's Song - Dave Chick - Lovely piano ballad. Wonderful harmonies build into Wall of Sound. Nice song.

Tony, you sound like your in a can.

It seemed like there were two shows last week. I listened to the second show, but I also went to the Ravens game and if I don't post on the weekend it probably doesn't happen.

I never change my strings until they break. :shock:

I agree about Songbook. I like the very basic playing the artists do during the conversation. It makes one inspired.

Martini and Wanda - Andrew Richardson - Talk about Ray Davies. This is a very cool song. The British accent really goes a long way in making this one. The Brits have a way of using their accents to accent songs in a wonderful way. Do they know they are doing that? Do they even know that they have accents?

Martine and Sue (Acoustic) - Andrew Richardson - This sounds like the demo version. It's nice but a bit bare compared to the other one. It's a well written song and that comes through loud and clear here.

The acoustic guitar tends to make it more moody as is ususally the case, don't you think?

I've been listening to a lot of Beatles, Dylan, and Stones. :nuts:

I did listen to a few R.E.M. this week and The Fray. Oh yea, my newphew introduced me to a band called The New something or other...or maybe it was the Newest something or other. Two brothers from Georgia, I believe, playing acoustic guitars. They're pretty good.

I haven't written anything lately. Nice idea on drums, Dave.

Autumn Sky - Ralph Tonge - Really big production here. Dreamy stuff. I like it.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:53 am

Martini and Sue - Forgot to mention... good rewrite on the lyrics! Great example of using editing to make a song better. The Wanda/Honda rhyme serves the song much better than Sue/Subaru. I like that much better. Good job!
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:32 am

criddlerus wrote:
Zoetrope wrote: Dave discusses RMS.
. . . . . . . . huh?
All right, so that was a visual one. Peak volume, which most meters show, only shows you how loud the peaks are. That doesn't really tell you the apparent volume of the sound. For instance, if you have an uncompressed recording, it may peak at 0db, but the average volume of the sound is -15db. A heavily compressed version of the same recording will have its peaks clipped so the average volume can be brought up to -8db while still peaking at 0db.

The compressed version will sound louder. The RMS meters in Reaper will actually show you that the compressed one will sound louder, even though the peaks will be almost the same. It quantifies how loud a recording will actually sound. You could use this to tell if you need more mastering or compression.

Take a look at them if you have reaper. On the Master Track, they are the two meters on the outside. The two middle meters are Peak, the outside two are RMS. You didn't even know you had them!

More confused now?
Ah, now it makes sense. I've never really been able to learn anything by listening, only by reading, seeing, and doing. This made my many years of school a complete waste of time, since lectures are lost on me. Oh how I wish I had all those wasted hours back.
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:57 pm

Zoetrope wrote:Ah, now it makes sense. I've never really been able to learn anything by listening, only by reading, seeing, and doing. This made my many years of school a complete waste of time, since lectures are lost on me. Oh how I wish I had all those wasted hours back.
Ditto! :)
criddlerus wrote:Some of your best work Mr. Chick. As I said in the show, your parts weave nicely in and out of each other. I love the really whispery bgvocs you put in late in the song. That part made me go "wow" Great job. :music:
Thanks so much Dave.

And thanks to all the kind words on the tune - I haven't really had any time to write anything new since then. I forget when I sent it in to Tony - he must have really been scraping the song barrel. I wrote it off as falling under the I-don't-play-slow-sappy-songs-on-the-show rule. ;) Thanks for playing it Tony!

Thanks for reminding me about guitar setups - I need to bring mine in. I've got a Floyd-Rose that's starting to slightly dip and for the life of me, I have no idea why... grrr..

Martini and Wanda (Andrew Richardson) - I was laughing out loud on this one. What a fantastic song! I liked the dense(r) arrangement, but prefered the vocal performance / mix on the "accoustic" version. I wouldn't have rolled off so much bottom end and presence in the voice, but that's really nit-picky. That's a classic, great story-telling song.

RMS - good explanation on how you use it - leveling out all the songs and talking on the show. Derek likes to use the "Levelator" to smooth out the speaking parts in the podcast - uses a combination of compression, normalization and gain. The site has a very in-depth explanation of the use of RMS to determine average levels: http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelatorAlgorithm

Autumn Sky - Ralph Tonge - coolness, coolness, coolness. Reminded me too of almost-middle-age-Genesis. What a masterpiece arrangement Ralph - fantastic job!

Looking forward to next week's year-end finale (?) - Just guessing as my kids get out of school on Friday and I'm not making any illusions about getting any work done after that... ;)
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:25 am

Thanks all.

Due to the volume of songs I think we're going to end up with two shows.
0 x

gotnomind
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by gotnomind » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:58 pm

Alrighty there, these shows take a while to digest and respond to but I'm here to put in my two pennies worth. First off, being that I have spent so little time at the forum and most don't really know me I will post here my disclaimer!: All of my comments here at HMHS are thought out with great care and should not be viewed as negative, I love you all. Now that we've got that clear:

Dave Chick's song - I really liked this song a lot. The beginning with the piano part reminded me of the band The Blue Nile. Great vocal layers. The drums left me a bit cold though. They just sounded a tiny bit home studio which is something that I myself battle with so much these days.But remember, I like the song!

Andrew Richardson's 'Martini & Wanda' - A lot of fun. I liked the produced up version a bit better than the acoustic version, but anyone who knows me will understand...I love bigger....long live bigger!

Ralph Tong - Very Genisis ! Prog sounding.

Thanks for the RMS tip.
lastly, I loved the chat about instruments. You reminded me that I need to get all of my guitars set up and how ugly those strings have gotten. As far as amplification, I like to use an Avalon Class A DI through an Presonus ADL 600 Class A tube preamp on my bass. The double amping makes the bass feel round and supple. In the end it feels a bit like it is recorded via an actual amp and speaker combo. ;)
0 x

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:32 pm

:clap: Dave Chick

Well produced song, excellent piano playing.

Andrew Richardson

This song sounds like The Small Faces Lazy Sunday which is a complement.

I prefer the accoustic version personally, the guitar was really well recorded and the basic sound gives the song something that he first one is missing but I don’t know what - though the first one was also very good.

Autumn Sky

Interesting keyboard sounds – the drums are good but the fills somehow don’t match the song at times but overall a good song. Like the guitar work.
0 x

classicgeek
new to this board
new to this board

Post by classicgeek » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 am

tonyoci wrote:Thanks all.

Due to the volume of songs I think we're going to end up with two shows.
Remains to be seen if I'll get one in. I've got an idea for the Christmas content and I've laid down my chord progression and I know what I want, but TIIIIIIIIIIME! Thou hast forsaken me! :)

Show is entertaining and inspirational as always.

Simon
0 x
Simon

Mac Mini - Garageband '09 - Apogee Duet

fabkebab

Post by fabkebab » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi Everyone and thanks for the "Martini And Wanda" comments - I am surprised that Tony played both versions - The main thing for me was to try to make it more "produced" so that car talk people might actually include it in thier playlist (they havent yet) - I made some lyrical changes, and in the early stages someone pointed out the "whisky in the jar" aspect, so I had to redo the vocal line to make it different. Also someone mentioned that Subaru has some WRC heritage, so I changed the car to a honda.

I havent actually heard the show yet (I am always a week behind everyone else) - so I will come back and comment on the other music soon!
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:01 pm

sorry, not able to listen or post much.
company I work for is shutting down december 31st, so it's been a bit of a crunch.

songs
------
really enjoyable tune
the banjo/yuke/mandolin sound gives it the bit of fun feel.
unfortunately, everytime the bass riff comes in I keep hear 'I'm just a jeepster for your love'

Martine and Sue (Acoustic) - Andrew Richardson
nice, but definitely prefer the full version

Autumn Sky - Ralph Tonge
'sort of like Genesis'
LOL
at least you didn't mention marillion
I agree, it sounds pre 'Lamb'
more Anthony Phillips than Steve Hackett.

I doubt I could listen to 'Supper's Ready' all the way through today.

thanks for the show fellas!
0 x