HMHS 185 - Holiday Show - The Sequel (12/18/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 185 - Holiday Show - The Sequel (12/18/09)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:27 pm

As always you can find the show at www.homemadehitshow.com
--------------------------------------------

Back by popular demand Tony Butterworth and Dave Criddle present a follow up to their "wildly" successful holiday special show. Featuring the talents of those people whose distinguishing feature is an inability to get their songs in by last week.

Discussion of Dave's mandolin, Tony's thoughts on Twitter and how music pirates spend more on music than others -read it here http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 12776.html

This weeks songs:

Cool Christmas - Roy Jones
West Coast Christmas - Simon Bickert
The First Noel - Wil Deynes
I Got Kicked in the Naughties (00's) - Andrew Richardson
Santa's Comin' Down The Chimney Tonight - Rudolph Criddle
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMHS 185 - Holiday Show - The Sequel (12/18/09)

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:13 pm

Cool Christmas - Roy Jones
Nice acoustic guitars. Mellooow

Rockin out on the mandolin
I have one of those cheapy mandolins too. Good fun.
As for "no correlation" between this and guitar, just play the guitar chords upside down. Guitar is EADG(BE) and mando is GDAE

West Coast Christmas - Simon Bickert
Nice job.

The First Noel - Wil Deynes
Another one with nice acoustic guitars. I like the panning on them too. Just the right amount of reverb too. Well done.

Voicemail
Now that's home recording. Nice job.

Twitter
I have a bored bored relationship with it.

Pirates buy more music
Yo ho ho and a bottle of MP3s!

I Got Kicked in the Naughties (00's) - Andrew Richardson
Good one.

Santa's Comin' Down The Chimney Tonight - Rudolph Criddle
I like the vocals on this. And the sprinkle of shaker.

Another good show, gents. :^:
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Thought I would give a listen since I saw Criddle-R-Us had a song up (big fan, big fan) and there was no chicken-hater song (just kiddin' - bah humbug :lol: ).

Cool Christmas - Roy Jones - A very fun tune, and a good tune to boot. I liked this. Sounds like what home recording should be about. Good job.

West Coast Christmas - Simon Bickert - Kind of Storp sounding vocal. Nice job.

The First Noel - Wil Deynes - Good job on this. Very modern sounding vocal.

I Got Kicked in the Naughties (00's) - Andrew Richardson - Very ethnic this one. Funny lyrics all the same. Good job on those.

Santa's Comin' Down The Chimney Tonight - Rudolph Criddle - Rockin' Christmas, eh? Another one that sounds like what this whole thing should be about.

Merry Christmas all you homemade hit show fans......... :heart:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Cool Christmas - Roy Jones - Lovely guitar. Reminds me of the Beatles guitar style circa '65, HELP! era. Neat song.

Dave - "Wacking each other" - :D

Dave, are you becoming an XTC tribute band?

I haven't had a single song idea in a month.

It's 20" white here. :nuts: I had to dig out of that today.

West Coast Christmas - Simon Bickert - Really good song. It sounds just like a West Coast Christmas carol should sound. I like it.

The First Noel - Wil Deynes - Pretty version. Nice.

:D - Famous.

I don't twit and I don't Facebook. I just can't keep up with it all.

Pirates - :nono: I don't know if there will ever be a final resolution to this problem.

I Got Kicked in the Naughties (00's) - Andrew Richardson - Very clever. You should do a Youtube video on this one. I bet it would be a hit.

It's amazing how much vst stuff is out there.

The difficult part of writing songs for me is the music. I just don't have that much talent or abilities to do very much. All my chords are boring.

Santa's Comin' Down The Chimney Tonight - Rudolph Criddle - Dang, Dave. :stick: This sounds like the Everly Bros. I love those guitar licks. This is great. I could see this one becoming a Christmas classic. This has plently of energy, Dave. Top notch song.

Good one, chaps.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:34 am

Sungodv wrote:Thought I would give a listen since I saw Criddle-R-Us had a song up (big fan, big fan)
Awwwww, thanks! :oops:
The Cracks wrote: Dave, are you becoming an XTC tribute band?
Ha! Nope, just having some fun. We did the Bowie/Ziggy Stardust concert a few years ago and this was kind of similar. This XTC thing came out of a gig for someone's bachelor party. Since we learned the songs, we may as well play them again. That will probably be the last time we do it. It has been really interesting to so deeply explore a single band. When you learn 20 songs by a band, you really get to know what makes them tick. XTC had kind of a formula in the songwriting with the same format of intro with guitar, solo, guitar outro that is pretty unique to them.

Thanks for all the positive comments on my tune! It is a big hit with my kids and plays great on my mandolin. :) Hopefully I will still remember it next year at Christmas.

Good luck digging out to Cracks and all the other East Coasters!

Dave
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:26 am

We are all dug out around here but nobody can really go anywhere since all the side streets are snowed in. I'd say by tomorrow things will be back to normal.

I was thinking about bringing the electric guitar out to inspire me. But I then realized that is why I have no urge to record lately. I don't feel like setting the stuff up. That's a bad sign. I always said I do this until it is not fun anymore. :shock:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:01 pm

Had a listen on Saturday, but as usual was dragged away before I commented. So thanks for the show is the best I can do now.
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

fabkebab

Post by fabkebab » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:22 pm

cool christmas- cool song- Liked the arrangement - at least up to the point where the children came in - really nicely done acoustic laid back with the mix and handclaps and I enjoyed the wistful (angry?) sentiment

mandolin - Its like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar turned upside down --> use this and you cant go wrong. You dont play the chords in the fancy way a mandolin chordbook say you should, but the saved time and hassle make it worthwhile

West coast christmas - Nice to have someone new coming in with music - it will stop the showboaters like me dominating proceedings :-) I liked this one - reminded me of the strawbs (sandy denny's first band)

First noel - very nice

Kicked in the 00's - Not sure if it is up to standards, but fair enough

discussion about the "inner critic" - this exactly why I would strongly urge you to try the lock-yourself-in-a-motel-room approach to songwriting!

Enjoyed the last song - Very good - more energetic than many of yours songs I have heard on this show - Fun fun fun and great way to sign off for the year!! A little unfair to drop the last 2 seconds of the song though!
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:42 pm

fabkebab wrote: mandolin - Its like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar turned upside down --> use this and you cant go wrong. You dont play the chords in the fancy way a mandolin chordbook say you should, but the saved time and hassle make it worthwhile
Ha! I think I get it now, though I am getting dizzy trying to picture all of my chords upside down like that. :nuts: I will give that a try.
fabkebab wrote: A little unfair to drop the last 2 seconds of the song though!
It was missing the last 2 seconds? You didn't hear the Ho Ho Ho? Odd. It was in the one I sent Tony (I just checked it). I will have to download the show from the site and check.

BTW - I loved your Kicked in the Naughties. Very Billy Bragg. You have an awesome sound Andrew and your lyrics are always fun. Great stuff. I may be able to lock myself into the local Fine Arts Center, which should work out fantastic. I already pay them a ton for my kid's music and dance classes. :eye:

BTW2 - Forgot to mention that I loved Famous Patrick's singing of the Hawaiian Christmas song. Very festive and fun.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays All!

Dave
0 x

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:12 pm

Well done, gents, one more year of shows completed. Impressive!

Tony, about putting together chords that sound "old" (or what you called it, I can't remember): If you learn some more covers, you'll see that an awful lot of famous songs have those well tested chord progressions, we just don't notice it because something else is so good. You can't let that stop you. ;)

If that's the end of the Christmas songs (and I really hope so), then Snubby is the winner, since his song wasn't one (and quite entertaining).

Looking forward to next year's 40+ episodes.

Over and out from your stand-in Grinch,
:eye3:
0 x

classicgeek
new to this board
new to this board

Post by classicgeek » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:16 pm

Merry Christmas to Tony, Dave, and everybody.

Thanks for playing my song.

Cool Christmas - A great guitar part and nicely recorded and mixed. Worked great with the vocals. Nice use of the recorded kids.

First Noel - Really nice version. Good vocals and guitar.

Putting those great vox and guitar on either side of my song seemed malicious... :twisted:

I Got Kicked in the 00's - Good song. Nice when voice and guitar work well together. I'd like to read the lyrics on this one.

Santa's Comin' Down the Chimney Tonight - Isn't it great when your kids react enthusiastically to what you do? I don't know I would have finished WCC if my daughter hadn't started trying to sing along on the first listen. :heart:

Until the new year,
0 x
Simon

Mac Mini - Garageband '09 - Apogee Duet