HMHS 201 - Content Free (6/11/10)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 201 - Content Free (6/11/10)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com

ck again after my intensive training for the World Cup.

This week we discuss:

* Rock Band: Green Day
* Rock Band 3
* Jack White's songwriting tip
* Lack of motivation
* Inspiration and obscure lyrics
* Dave has been listening to Nada Surf, Hot Hot Heat, LCD Soundsystem
* Tony has been listening to Hot Chip, Green Day and Teenage Fanclub

Some great tunes for you:

* Barricades Rise - Gave Up The World
* Here Today – The Cracks (with Steve Nylander)
* Frank Canonica – I’m Not Myself with intro
* Mat Wilson (Widerenie) - Debtors are Us
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMHS 201 - Content Free (6/11/10)

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:04 pm

* Barricades Rise - Gave Up The World
Sounds great, I love the passion. It pushes the song to a higher level. Also like the shaker.

* Lack of motivation
Yup.

* Here Today – The Cracks (with Steve Nylander)
Wow, this sounds great. Very good job on this gents, it's got all the charm of a Cracks song with the high production values of Sungodv.

* Frank Canonica – I’m Not Myself with intro
Simple and cool. The vocals are right on.

* Mat Wilson (Widerenie) - Debtors are Us
Cool New Order-ish song. Pump up that bass.

Another great, content-less show.
0 x

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:17 am

The Wolrd Cup. Watched Fravnce v Uruguay last night. It wasn't going well till someone behind the bar found a syringe and injected some boiling sulphuric acid into my eyes. This improved my viewing experience. :tolietpaper:

Barricades Rise - Gave Up The World. Love that pounding bass drum rhythm, it lends a real urgency and pace to the to song. Please tell me that a cajon drum you used! :tap: All of this is good, voclas force the mood, give it an edge, too. well sung.

New Music. I only listen to music in the car and even songs I like don't always work there. I've been given three CDs to listen to recently by people who assured me I was about have my life changed. Needless to say... :look: Frankly none of them had a song as good as this next one...

Here Today – The Cracks (with Steve Nylander). Like the Edge type guitar riff especially, adds a nice flavour of U2 here. Its a good tune, and it delivers! It finds a hook, chucks it at me and lets me enjoy it. It doesn't hang around once its done the job. Spot on, a HomeMadeHit. Well done guys. I'm gonna download this one later. :applause:

Frank Canonica – I’m Not Myself. Again there's a good hook happening here, emphasised just sweetly by that harmony, tasteful and apposite. The squeezebox adds a nice touch too. The whole production captures the bitter/sweet nature of the song too. Nice one. The guitar sound is interesting, sounds like a tenor guitar?

NOT BEING IN THE MOOD. My advice is 'take the thermometer out'. It's hard to be creative if you keep tapping yourself on the shoulder and saying 'Hey, you're not very creative today' in your ear. As a colleague of mine used to say; 'We spend so much time measuring the pig we forget to feed it.'

Mat Wilson (Widerenie) - Debtors are Us. Classy rocky thing going on here. Vocals stand up and out nicely. I'd have liked a section where the guitar dropped out then whizzed back in again. Its a nice bit of playing, faultless - were there about 20 takes for that? There would have been if I'd tried it. :roll:

Good show guys. Pip pip.
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

gotnomind
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by gotnomind » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks guys. Uh I've been away from music for a while so I missed everyone. I loved the cracks on this weeks show. Go figure. Of course I loved them more produced, my disease of over production rearing it's head. As for the guitar Polly, It's just me old six string Guild in Nashville tuning. I tune it Nashville for recording in dense productions. (Again my disease) It sits nicely between other instruments and does not compete as much in the mix. On it's own however it sounds 12 string or tenor.

Barricades - nice song and I liked the vocals.

Hmmm, new music and such. I have not much time to listen to much but I came across a local guy in San Francisco, Jason Carp. He's one talented gent. I'm still listening to Bon Iver as well.

Not a big fan of Jack white. Talented for sure, just not my thing.

Inspiration and motivation.I think we have all visited these topics a few times whether here or in the shower. Such a big subject. Inspiration in my music comes from other music at times. I'll here a great album and it gets me all fired up. It's often the motivation that's a bit harder to find. Between the daily work, things at home that need doing etc, it gets difficult to find uninterrupted stretches that coincide with a receptive mental state and mood. For a while when I was lacking employment I would just get up every morning and go into the studio and write, play, fart, whatever. It was really nice. On occasion I would come across a gem. So just being able to spend a lot of time is a big key for me. What do you find is the key?
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Part I:

Gave "Meet You in the Center" yet another spin. Man, that is one super song (writing and recording). It is one of those that sends shivers down my spine. It's amazing that so much questionable music rides Billboards charts while this song shines so brightly.

Barricades Rise - Gave Up The World - Wow! Fantastic song. Fantastic recording. Pro quality all the way. Vocal performance is exactly what has been discussed on HMHS in the past. Few home recorders do what GUTW does on this one. Love it.

I don't lack motivation as much as I lack interest in making "quality" recordings. (Not that I've made one single quality recording in five years.) I still am writing songs, I just don't know how to present them. I have two or three ready to go and maybe four needing some more work. Probably go the live route over the summer, recording the songs on PS04. I might start a "Steal this Song" website where unsigned artists could use my songs as templates and do what they wanted with them. I would still hold the copyright on the song in case Sir Mick decided to nick one from me.

To be honest, I think my lack of interest in home recording is mostly due to my crummy PC. It just can't handle the Mixcraft 5 version too well. I'm thinking that when I buy a new one that my interest will kick back into gear. I want to ride this PC down to the bitter end, but it is getting increasingly frustrating. So probably by the fall or so.

Part II:

I saw Green Day performing a Rolling Stones song on some TV show last month. The main dude was really playing, it seems to me. The cover was pretty damned good.

I'm just not into the World Cup. I know "football" is popular the world over, but it's U. S. football and baseball for me.

It's a real art to make a three minute song speak to something larger.

Tony, I feel the same way about Jack White. I like some of his work, but I admire his admiration for the art in rock and roll. I think he would make a much better producer than he is artist. He did wonders with Loretta Lynn's last LP. I am hoping the Stones hire him to produce their next LP. I'm thinking Keith would say yes, but Mick would say no. Mick would hate sharing credit with anyone for what could be a great album.

I think it was David Bowie who said (or was it David Bowie saying John Lennon told him) to write down how you feel and make it rhyme.

U2 is the last band that I really took interest in. There are plenty of others who are good since, but none that I've really followed. Funny enough, I've never seen them live.

Cool reviews. Thanks. "Dylan goes electric." Ha!

The one thing that I am pleased with this song about is how brief it is. Yes, as many said, it could have used a guitar solo during a break, but I am into a phase where I don't want anything that could be unnecessarily added just to make the song three minutes. As I've post before, some of the greatest pop songs are under three minutes and some are not much more than two minutes long.

* Here Today – The Cracks (with Steve Nylander) - Steve took an okay song and made it into a pretty good recording. Thanks for listens and comments. If I had it to do over I'd probably write more variation on the chorus. Instead of "work and play," for each chorus, I could have written things like "go or stay, buy or borrow" and "night and day...". But it was a one off writing session and it is what it is.

Part III:

* Frank Canonica – I’m Not Myself with intro - This is wonderful. Lyrics and to a degree the simple music reminds me of something George Harrison may have (or could have - should have) done. Add a little Liverpudlian accent and you'd have him nailed. This is a real pleasing song.

That's funny. I was thinking along the same lines regarding how simple this song was in relation to what I do. Made me home sick. :)

Yea, Green Day is going to have to come out with a stripped down sound or something in order to get their fans ready for new sounds down the road. Maybe that's why Dylan went electric (besides he understood that's the direction music was going).

I haven't listened to much of any music over the last few weeks. My musical knowledge ends at U2 (see above comment).

The place to listen is always Youtube. They usually have music from most any band (signed) that you may hear about (either live or LP version, or both).

* Mat Wilson (Widerenie) - Debtors are Us - I don't know if this was posted on the forum or if I commented, so I'll take it from the top. This is absolutely fantastic! I love that guitar. Talk about an infectious vibe. Vocal tone is so cool. Great lyrics and vocals. Great music. Great song. This is a musical news story about a world in discord. Bravo!
Last edited by The Cracks on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:37 pm

The average PC upgrade cycle in America is every 3 years, Crackford. I think you're way past that..... :yes:
And how come you never call?................... :lol:

Barricades Rise - Gave Up The World - This kind of reminds me of Meatloaf....and Zander too I guess. Kind of excpected for it to break into a drum/bass/guitar type song. Good tune and well sung.

Here Today – The Cracks (with Steve Nylander) - When Juan posted this song I instantly liked it. So much so that it made me wanna pick up the bass and play along. I did a few takes with his MP3 from SC. He liked it so we decided to take it a step further as he wasn't happy with his mix. Cracky sent me the MX5 MixCraft file and I did a little playing around with it so I could send the MX5 back to him to use as a template to help with mixes in the future if he is so inclined. Love the lyrics...It's one of his best songs and I'm very happy he's around.

Frank Canonica – I’m Not Myself - This is a really well written song. The performance ain't bad either. ;) This guy have a SC page?

Mat Wilson (Widerenie) - Debtors are Us - I've heard this one before. First I thought it's been played here before...then I thought it was posted in the NSF. Come to figure out that I've visited his SC page. Could stand some more musical changes, but it's a good tune and is well played.
Last edited by Sungodv on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Sungodv wrote:The average PC upgrade cycle in America is every 3 years, Crackford. I think you're way past that..... :yes:
And how come you never call?................... :lol:
Sun, yes, I am due for a new one. Soon, very soon. But this current hunk of junk allows me to do most things (posting on forums, etc.) with only a fair amount of aggravation. But recording a song is pretty difficult. Thank goodness it's summer and I just wrapped up my most current batch of 10 songs (what I refer to as an "LP"). So, certainly by fall I'll be shopping around.

I'll call again, but most likely when their is some project we hopefully will be working on. If I start calling just for the heck of it, you might not answer when I really need to talk. :D

Thanks for all your great lessons and specifically for saving "Here Today". :^:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Keep the PC for just that....and then get something dedicated for recording. In the meantime, I would junk that CRT for an LCD.
And I was just kidding on the phone thing. :shock:
Like I would ever answer...sheesh. :P
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

gotnomind
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by gotnomind » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:26 am

Sungodv, I am to found at SC "The Great Constantini". I rarely spend much time there though. It's a good place to be heard and I've had fun seeing my own songs go up the charts there, but at times it seems pointless being that my goal was to find others to work with and I've never had anybody contact me at that site. HMHS has been a lot more productive. I have found no one here to work with as well but I feel like we all know each other a little and help each other along.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:30 pm

What are you looking for Frank ? I don't think I was aware you were looking to work with someone but there is definitely a lot of that going on around here.
0 x

gotnomind
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by gotnomind » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm not looking for work,work. I'm just longing to collaborate with others. writing and recording by myself is getting lonely.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:53 am

I understood that :)

I'm saying there's a lot of people here who like to collaborate.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:19 am

Sorry, don't have much time this week, so it's a short post

enjoyed the show.

Barricades Rise - Gave Up The World
really like that verse section

Here Today – The Cracks (with Steve Nylander)

pretty cool

Writing everyday.. ..or as often as possible about everyday experiences.
I think what gets left out when this advice is thrown around is this:
whether or not you write something you like or think is good, the point is to write.
You are practicing to keep your chops up, to hone the skill or techniques so they it becomes second nature.
This allows you to focus on the inspiration when it hits instead of how to use the tools.

Just as you practice an instrument by actually playing an instrument, you can only practice writing by actually writing.
it is the act of writing that is important, not the written result of every session.
Just as band practice can lead to the creation of new song or parts of a new song, so too can writing practice generate something new.
but again. it's main point is to exercise and hone the skill, not to write a masterpiece.
so go write something and let it be as bad or lame or mediocre as it will be, after all it's just practice.

a friend of mine said you have to write all the time just get the sh*t out of the way of the good ones.
someone else said, if your lucky, one out every ten songs is good, but you still have write those ten bad songs to get to the good one.
0 x