Song distribution- what are you using?

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
toddpop1
new to this board
new to this board

Song distribution- what are you using?

Post by toddpop1 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:41 pm

I write songs and have some songs that are already in "circulation" (i.e. recorded by other artists). I am getting to the place where I am feeling good about the recordings I am getting at home. My next step is to make my "product" available to friends and as a place to send people who are interested in my songs so they can consider performing/recording my tunes.

How do you make your songs available to the public? What kind of "hosting" or website do you like? Why?

I am not looking to make money by having people purchase the songs, but rather looking for a avenue to make it easy to sample the tunes, download them. Also maybe have a streaming player "widget" feature as well.

Thanks for indulging this n00b!
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Re: Song distribution- what are you using?

Post by tonyoci » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:02 am

Soundclick for it's tools, charts, embedding features etc.

Bandcamp for the fun aspects of creating an album, grouping songs etc. etc.
0 x

toddpop1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by toddpop1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:37 am

Thanks! I'll look into those right away.
0 x

topographic
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by topographic » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:46 am

If you're at this stage,

"and have some songs that are already in "circulation" (i.e. recorded by other artists),"

you should be well beyond the stage of needing advice about Soundclick and the like. I'm not quite understanding your methods.
0 x
"An artist is somebody who produces things that people don't need to have."
(Andy Warhol said that, I think.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chB_KFdVGdM&feature
https://www.facebook.com/melodic.poprocktrio

All recordings made on a ZOOM MRS-802CD or an HD8 using either an Audio Technica 4040 or a Shure Beta 57A.

Guitars: Martin D-18V, Martin OM-28V, Martin D-15, 2006 American Deluxe Butterscotch Telecaster, a 1996 "Candy Apple Red" Strat, and a souped-up Epi Les Paul.

"The rambling stream of consciousness stuff seems to have been replaced by much more coherent material..."

"Although the Razr got it, my Xoom didn’t get the facial unlock with ICS or Jellybean."

Sungodv: "I was with you until the part about the grass in the sidewalk...."

"Glad you kept it short."

toddpop1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by toddpop1 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:50 am

..because I am a songwriter because I HAVE TO (I need to get the songs out of my head or I'll go NUTS!) and not because I have been doing it with the aim of making money or pushing a career. I have friends who perform, have heard my songs at some shows I have done, and asked to add them to their set lists. I am not quite understanding your issue with my methods. Different lives take different paths.

I now want to have a central place where I can place recorded songs for family and friends do access them. AND POSSIBLY if someone is interested in performing one, this would also be a place they could go to see what I have.

topographic wrote:If you're at this stage,

"and have some songs that are already in "circulation" (i.e. recorded by other artists),"

you should be well beyond the stage of needing advice about Soundclick and the like. I'm not quite understanding your methods.
0 x

gwood
Yoda
Yoda

Post by gwood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:48 am

If all you want is a place where people (family, friend, the public) can hear or DL your songs, the above mentioned Soundclick and Bandcamp should do it. There's also Reverb Nation, and Soundcloud (which hosts wav and other formats, as well as mp3). And more. And, of course, Myspace and Facebook. When you get to the point of selling product, look into CD Baby.

So hey, why not put some of this fine stuff up on the New Songs section of this site?
0 x
Music by G. Wood/Undercover Bonobos (me!):
Bandcamp: http://oneoffrekerdz.bandcamp.com/

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:57 am

Soundclick and MySpace are good, my only point is to go for the free version of Soundclick. It doesn't sound like you'll need the paid for one. I had it, then got rid, as I realised it was a waste of my money. Other folk might see a need though.
:2cents:

Can't you just perform for friends and family at a party or open mic? Tell them you are nervous and they should bring round a few beers to help you relax. Better still, get them to have a few beers and then they'll think you're great! :D
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

rollasoc
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by rollasoc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:26 am

I used to use Soundclick and Myspace. But they seem to have died a bit of a death.

For a few songs (but mostly to pass works in progress between band and collaborators) we are using SoundCloud.

Last CD we distributed through CDBaby. Very happy with the service from them.

The latest CD we distributed through Reverbnation (where we will put more tunes at some point, since you can link it through to facebook and myspace etc).

Though the next CD will probably be through CD baby again, since it looks like CDbaby is a one time fee per release and reverbnation charges per year (so I will have to cancel it before the end of the year and probably resubmit it through CDbaby later now we have the UPC code for it).
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 am

Can someone explain the fascination with Soundcloud. Sure it works but it seems clunky and awkward. Soundclick seems 100% going strong to me. I've been having fun with Bandcamp because of how easy it is to create albums, the uploads of WAV files and all their download options.
0 x

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:01 am

I use CD Baby and have done for a few years now - never had any problems with them and they do what they say they are going to do for you and your music.
0 x

Nadal
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Nadal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:18 am

davecooper wrote:I use CD Baby and have done for a few years now - never had any problems with them and they do what they say they are going to do for you and your music.
Can you explain me more about CD Baby because I am planning to give it a try...
0 x
[url=http://977music.com/blog/2010/01/977music-internet-radio-station/]internet radio station[/url]