HMHS 206 - A Bunch of Fools (Guest Show) 11/10/10

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 206 - A Bunch of Fools (Guest Show) 11/10/10

Post by tonyoci » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:11 pm

www.homemadehitshow.com for the show

-----------------------

A slightly different show here. This is a conversational and music show featuring Les Cotton, Ralph Tonge, Pete Rand and David Claridge. They discuss writing and recording music.

The songs and links are

Les Cotton - Photograph
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8406215

Ralph Tonge - Give Your All This Xmas
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8407022

Pete Rand with David Claridge - So Long Ago
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7454106

David Claridge - The Garden
http://www.myspace.com/davidclaridge

all recorded last December, with some bottles of wine and Skype ;)
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: HMHS 206 - A Bunch of Fools (Guest Show) 11/10/10

Post by The Cracks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:12 am

Listening now. Great English accents. Besides that, my comment button is a bit slow so I'll probably just listen. I probably won't listen to the entire thing in one sitting.

Over and out.

Edit: Okay, maybe a few comments.

These guys are naturals at this sort of thing. I love the term "right". It is just so accurate and fitting in so many situations. The English understand English so well. Even a street sweeper sounds intelligent when speaking (not that he wouldn't be anyway).

Edit 2: Sorry for all the view counts. I'd say 10 of the last 15 are me. :nuts: I keep coming in to type but then lose focus while listening.

Edit 3: The cool thing about home recording is that it puts us in the same game as the pros (although completely different leagues in most cases, i.e., they get paid big $$$ and we generally don't). Keith Richards mentions in his book that people are doing at home what was a very distant dream of the Stones (i.e., recording in a studio). But when these guys talk about "mixing," "mastering," "re-mastered," "tracks," "demos" and on and on, they are just as legitimate as Keith, Mick, or Paul Mac.

I like the bit where Les goes to answer the front door only to find that it was his wife. :hilarious: "She 'ave a key?"

There is no difference between the songs on this show and any song on any pro's album beyond the fact that the pro has a record contract and these chaps probably don't. These songs are well crafted, well written, and performed magnificently.

That was a very enjoyable show, I must say.

Over and out.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am

Gad this was fun. Loved all the songs and the banter left my face hurting from smiling so much. David is a real card.
Great job, all. :yes:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rocles » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:47 am

Many thanks Tony for putting this out, it was great fun to make...but I now greatly appreciate how much work goes in to each HMHS !
Thanks for the comments guys. We do have a variety of accents..as I've said before, i'm from Manchester originally, so the "Oasis" sound is genuine...Pete is near Liverpool, David is in Berkshire, and Ralph has roots in the North, but now lives in Nottinghamshire.
This was all recorded last December, (I lost the recordings, only found them again this week..) at the only time we could all sit down and chat on Skype, apart from Dick Greener who was sadly unavailable. It was nearly Xmas, so we all relaxed with a glass of wine or three (!) We actually have about 3 hours :shock: of recordings, most of which is totally unbroadcastable 8)
I deliberately left in the "doorbell" bit , and Claridge's various sound effects, as these were totally unscripted and just made me laugh.

cheers,
Les
0 x

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Sorry Les, Ofsted this week, But I'm a free man now (good with many outstanding features :shock: ) And at last I can download the show. :D
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Polly wrote:Sorry Les, Ofsted this week, But I'm a free man now (good with many outstanding features :shock: ) And at last I can download the show. :D
Half way through. LMAO
0 x

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:00 am

Good idea about rolling the bottom end off. The vocals on 'Photograph' are crystalline, superb. But it's a cracking song too. I use toontrack's ex-mix these days. I reckon the settings on there do a lot for me. I record vocals using their 'slap delay' option.

I've always had the 'mud' problem on my recordings.

Right.

I might even go and play the damn guitar now. Let's stick it in open C. Not used the G tuning for ages. May buy new guitar soon. I've got GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. :(

Wonder what's for tea? :shock:
0 x

Rocles
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rocles » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:23 am

Polly wrote:Good idea about rolling the bottom end off. The vocals on 'Photograph' are crystalline, superb. But it's a cracking song too.
Thanks for that :D Its a song that was one of those spooky "where did that come from?" moments. Looking at a family photo of someone who at that point I didn't even have a name for, the first line popped into my head "Your picture speaks a thousand words..." Even spookier :shock: , I then had a phone call out of the blue from a distant Cousin who had last seen me in 1960 (!!), eventually we meet up, showed him the Photo, and he straight away identified the person as my Great Aunt, who died when only in her 30's. The whole song then came from that story. Truth is stranger than fiction !

Here's the Photograph of Gladys that started it all...

cheers,
Les
0 x

GeeJay
Jedi
Jedi

Post by GeeJay » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:36 am

No time for a detailed review, but just wanted to say I enjoyed the show.

Some good points about different production techniques/procedures relating to different genres of music.

Gary.
0 x
My Soundclick Page

GeeJay said "I need to change my avatar!"

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:27 pm

Great show! :D More!
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:22 pm

fun & informative.
nice production on the songs, good tips.

I've been experimenting with using a heavily compressed vocal track in addition to the main vocal track.
seems to help, but the issue for me really, is bad mic technique or I need to find a better spot to record vocals in.
I've tried adding light compression to the two FX tracks I set up in Reaper for Reverb & Delay.
seems to help, but eq'ing the FX tracks has helped a lot as well.

thanks for the show!
0 x