HMHS 207 - The Return of The Fantastic Two (1/21/11)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 207 - The Return of The Fantastic Two (1/21/11)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Yes we are back and you can find the show at www.homemadehitshow.com and the forum, where we really appreciate your comments, at www.homemadehitshow.com/forum

Yes we're back. Tony Butterworth and Dave Criddle here to spin your tunes and harm your ears. Apologies for my sound quality as I have forgotten how to use my PS-04.

This weeks discussions

* Plans for the show
* What we've been doing
* Stuff we've "aquired"
* RPM Challenge - SIGN UP NOW AT http://rpmchallenge.com/
* Writing Music First

This weeks songs

Brother Luke - Everything To Me

Spots - Tegen De Wind (recorded by Jerome Fygee)

David Cooper - Sweet Lady Luna

There will be an RPM Challenge thread at www.homemadehitshow.com/forum for you to post and listen to stuff.

GeeJay
Jedi
Jedi

Re: HMHS 207 - The Return of The Fantastic Two (1/21/11)

Post by GeeJay » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Yay :stick:

Good work fellas.

Looking forward to listening, be back at some point to comment.

Thanks Tony and Dave :)

Gary
My Soundclick Page

GeeJay said "I need to change my avatar!"

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Yes, it was nice to get back on the virtual airwaves. It is really motivating to hear such great home recorded tunes!

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:39 pm

Wow, I really didn't see that coming.

Half way through, will come back to review later.

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 am

What didn't you see coming? Now would be a good time to remind you about the potatoes exclusive contract with the home made hit show.

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:15 am

I can't remember if I mentioned this in show 207 or 208 but here is the treasure trove of VST plugins on the Behringer site. They have tons of high quality free plugins that seem to be really good:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Support/U-C ... loads.aspx

Dave

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Brother Luke - Everything To Me - Big production, very 80s, and TOP drawer quality. A benchmark setter. Odd link into Buggles there! Wacky. But a superb, fizzing song and mix. Amazing to hear such depth and breadth of quality in home recorded stuff. Awesome, autotune indeed. I didn’t spot it. :shock:

Great idea to record your vocals in a hot air balloon 2000 ft above the Rockies Tony. :D Shorter shows is a good idea, its better for you, it’s easier to allocate time to listening and feeding back for me. And maybe others. I won’t be doing that RPM challenge; I’d drop out half way through. I’m back in writing and recording mode though, refreshed.

I don’t get inspired by hearing the professionals do it. I really don’t. I’d write more if I did! For me it has to come from inside. If nothing’s going on in there I don’t write. As for stuff we’ve acquired I recently got a pdf advice sheet from some place or other and this gave a brilliant piece of advice. The number one rule of homerecording is…

LIMIT YOUR OPTIONS LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.

The more options you have, the more you’ll prevaricate over the actual creative process. You’ll fuss over mics, guitars, plug-ins, synthesisers, fx (I have about 20 different reverbs, each one adjustable) and you’ll be distracted from what you’re supposed to be doing. Most of the best music ever created was done without any of the paraphernalia we can get for free. And boy can you fill up your DAW with it. But does it really help?

Perhaps this is part of what the RPM challenge is about.

Spots - Tegen De Wind (recorded by Jerome Fygee) Great subtle and complex groove here, very 80s again. Is it the music or my ears? 80s is very ‘in’ now of course. Obviously there’s a language issue for, shameful, I never met a Dutch person who didn’t speak great English – my apologies. Ah there’s a very up to date approach to musical phases going on here, a classy track. Well done.

Dang; gotta shoot as I’m going out, a friend is playing in my local tonight. Hopefully I finish my post.

Pip pip. :tap:
Song writing is its own reward

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:58 pm

Tony wrote:Apologies for my sound quality as I have forgotten how to use my PS-04.
Let me guess - you were speaking into a connected mic, but recording with the internal mic? :) Blame the PS-04.

Brother Luke - Everything To Me: Al-right! Nice way to start a show. Sounds great. The singing alone is incredible. Perhaps a little over-produced at times, but that's more a matter of taste.

RPM challenge: Thought about it, but gave it up. No way I can average 2.8 days to complete a song, ten songs in a row. Especially since I've bought lots of new gear and don't have a new process working yet. Instead, I've been thinking about a "clean-up", doing quick-and-dirty productions of songs I've written but never recorded.

Spots - Tegen De Wind: This was cool. I hope it's not taken as an insult if I say "late '80s". Sounds great. Level 42 is a good reference (I listened a lot to them back in the days).

David Cooper - Sweet Lady Luna: Great little acoustic rocker.

So are we now back in a situation where Tony only accepts "pro sounding" songs in the HMHS? :roll:

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:19 am

tonyoci wrote: I have forgotten how to use my PS-04.
Easily done. I had one and I never mastered it, they're complicated.
Song writing is its own reward

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:09 am

storpotaten wrote:
Tony wrote:Apologies for my sound quality as I have forgotten how to use my PS-04.
Let me guess - you were speaking into a connected mic, but recording with the internal mic? :) Blame the PS-04.
at first I though he recorded it while driving in the car.

* Plans for the show
always good to have a plan
I hear that's how the 'pros' do it. :D

* Stuff we've "aquired"
I'm currently in selling mode only

* RPM Challenge - SIGN UP NOW AT http://rpmchallenge.com/
I might be able to come up with 10 songs, but I could never get them recorded.
so.. I plan to avoid participating in this every chance I get. :)
that said, you might try taking the chord progression from one song and reverse it to make another.
or slow it down, change the rythm and write a new melody.

* Writing Music First
yeah, what Tony said.
also, try doing a quick mix and listen to it in the car for a couple of days.

Brother Luke - Everything To Me
strangely uplifting and oddly compelling
good pop sound
nice Buggles reference
wish I could record something that sounds this clean

Spots - Tegen De Wind (recorded by Jerome Fygee)
really like the opening , oh and the fingerclicks are awesome!
I seem to recall Tony saying he couldn't listen to songs that aren't in english...

BTW --> YOU GUYS ARE FIRETRUCKING GREAT!!! <--

(how was that?)
Last edited by lucas on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaggieTheArtist
new to this board
new to this board

Post by MaggieTheArtist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi all ~ I'm an old friend of dave's (don't hold it against me) and new to the forum... in fact... completely new to songwriting!

I listened to the show last night per dave's link and was very inspired...

I'm classically trained on the violin (and piano) and then set it aside for a couple decades... picked the fiddle back up 3 years ago and now play in a rock n roll band... have always thought about songwriting but never did anything about it... I started playing guitar a few months ago to try to understand chord progression a bit better... (and have been playing obsessively ever since! :guitar: )

I honestly have NO IDEA what I am doing, but I am committed to doing the RPM challenge... yikes. yep, I'm willing to at least try to write 10 songs...

As a painter I've found that sometimes just suiting up and showing up provides enough material to at least get the creative juices flowing.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to February!

Maggie

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:52 am

Hi Guys

Nice to hear you back again - you've been missed.

Brother Luke's everything to me sounded really great, I wish I could get production like that - A little Buggles crept in there but still a very good melodic song.

Spots - Tegen de wind - again another really good song, sounds very professional and really like the ending, excellent vocal harmonies.

Thanks for playing my song Sweet Lady Luna.

GeeJay
Jedi
Jedi

Post by GeeJay » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:06 am

Really enjoyed the show guys – astonishingly high quality of songs here, could you maybe throw in the odd really amateurish effort to balance things out, thus lowering the bar for anyone not able to reach these standards? (I wrote that as a joke, but actually there’s a serious point there!)

Kaossilator – looks cool as a performance instrument maybe, or a way of triggering ideas, but not sure I can see a use for something like this in a home recording set-up. I have recently given Mr Korg some of my hard earned cash though, with a similar motivation to Zoetrope of getting away from the PC to make music.

VST’s – I have enough. End of!

BTW what plug-in was Tony using to get that Dictaphone tape emulation sound? ;)

Vox Amplug – Neat. Check out how lazy I am – I have a mini Marshall Amp which is a similar idea, but still plugs in via a lead, not direct to the guitar, and I thought, mmm, maybe I should get one of these and that would be one less thing to plug in! :shock:

RPM – Not for me (shocker!) – I look forward to hearing your songs though. Tony you sound very organised, I like your planning process, and that you’ve put aside things like drum variation etc. that can be distracting and time wasting. Project management is the key here I’m sure. Does it amuse anyone else that they choose February (ie the shortest month of the year) to run this? Sadists. :twisted:

Also agree with Tony on the “writing the music first” thing – you just need a bed of chords to create a melody to. Having an arpeggiator pattern running is going to make it more difficult to come up with a complimentary melody IMO.

Look forward to the next show :clap:

Gary.
My Soundclick Page

GeeJay
Jedi
Jedi

Post by GeeJay » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:12 am

Heh, just clicked the RPM link and noticed Dave has just registered - no going back now Dave :run:
My Soundclick Page

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:37 am

Good to hear the show again.

My plate is so full these days there is no way I'll be able to do full length reviews of shows.

Great songs.

I am going to do the RPM challenge (and sign up too). If I can't finish it, at least I'll have tried.

Over and out.

:^:

Update: I was already registered so I just clicked that I will participate in 2011 challenge...just like I did in 2010... :noway:

Update 2: I think I might try a themed LP like Zoetrope did. I think his Speed album was a great success. I am also thinking that maybe I will bang out 10 songs (or 35 minutes) as quickly as possible and then go back and work on each one before any are released. But then again, maybe not. :neutral:

I'd better get out the old three-stringed Drop D tuned guitar. I am sure I'll be needing it. :nuts:
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 am

You'll be hearing some amateurish songs when I play my RPM stuff :)

Last night I emailed Dave that I can't do it. I have absolutely zero ideas, I sat down with the guitar and nothing is coming. It's like I forgot how to do everything. Very annoying.

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:21 am

Great to see you guys popping up again on the podcast feed! Can't wait to listen!
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page