HMHS 211 - Lyrically Speaking (3/18/11)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: HMHS 211 - Lyrically Speaking (3/18/11)

Post by The Cracks » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Listening to Rychie Floyd - "Everybody Wants To Drink Your Water" again. There does seem to be some instrumentation. It reminds me of a short number McCartney might do.

Andrew Richardson - Mary Cries (words by Alan Gentle) - Interesting story behind song. Lovely song. Beautiful piano.

"...summer weather...
"Old memories float as light as feathers" - Gold Star Lyric Club

Wow. This is a wonderful song. Can't beat it. :clap:

Chord bot. Neat.

Does Jam Studio do something similar?

Okay, that answers my question.

What I have done before and should do again is set up chords on Jam Studio to where I like them and then try to arrange the song on my own while playing piano or guitar. My playing naturally changes the feel of the song.

Tony, I am not sure where you get the "bombastic" comment on your lyrics. You do good lyrics and your latest RPM was loaded with good lyrics.

"What the Hell was that all about?" :hilarious:

A neat musically simple song with interesting lyrics is Nick Cave's "Into My Arms". :^:

Can't wait to watch the Song Cirlce vids on Youtube after this show is over.

I am reading a bio on Paul Macca and it says the Beatles often (more often than we know, it appears) would rip up pieces of newspaper and pick them up randomly and use what they read as ideas for lyrics. Keith Richards said in his book that the Stones did it too (I forget how much they used that method.)

Again with the Beatles and Stones: I've read in both books (Macca bio and Keith's book) say that both groups usually didn't write down their songs. If they could remember them the next day they knew they had a keeper.

Edward Wainwright - If You Don't Want Me - I like the vibe created here. Yes, Bowie.

Good show.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Speak of the Devil, here is Nick Cave's "Into My Arms" on the BBC Songwriters Circle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG0-cncM ... re=related

If I learn to write songs using simple piano like this, I'd be in Heaven!

I've read in an interview somewhere where Cave said piano works best for him when he keeps the chords (his fingers) close together. That probably means inverted chords. I am trying to learn them now. I've got the standard chords down pretty good now.

Yea, I like this Justin Currie. A Youtube search finds him playing some solo piano. Really nice.

Most of the new (to me) artists I find come from the HMHS. :^:

Dig this Currie song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ZU6M1- ... re=related

I've used style percussion at an open mic before and it went over pretty good. I might try some more soon.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:08 pm

I missed the earlier posts about Reaper.

As a counterpoint I want to add that in 4 years of using Reaper I have not once used the Routing Matrix. I'm sure it's useful but it's far from essential, you can group tracks & effects etc. without using it.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:01 am

wow, has it really been 4 years?
I thought you started using Reaper after I did, wait.. maybe it's been 4 years for me as well.
shouldn't I be better at this by now?! LOL

The routing 'Matrix' looks to me like just another way to manage sends besides the window you get when you click on the 'IO' button on the channel strip.
The Matrix is a bit confusing to look at for me and I prefer the pop-up window, so that's why I never use the Matrix.
I used the folders for grouping, etc. for a bit when I first starting using Reaper, but I prefer the more traditional send/bus style like you have with an actual mixer.
0 x

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:37 pm

:lol:

Ian Holtaway - Colour White

Nice simple song – Nice lyrics

I recently did some guitar chords borrowing from Something in the air by Thunderclap Newman and came up with something different but interesting.
It was a great exercise and help.

Mike Anderson – Still taller that you

Rychie Floyd – Everybody wants to drink your water

Two short strange songs – still good stuff

Andrew Richardson – Mary cries

Good lyrical song sounds a bit like a 1970’s song by Peter Skellern (WHO????)

Edward Wainright – If you don’t want me

Nice sounding song – like the backing track – Good distinctive voice
0 x

Rychie Floyd
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Rychie Floyd » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:13 am

"Everybody wants to drink your water" I recorded with a guitar, a tambourine and a load of vocals. I recorded it in two hours using and abusing audacity. I used a click track in the background so that i could keep time, but i kept it in at the last mix because...well, it sounded cool.

Take care!

R. Floyd
0 x