HMHS 215 - The Return of the HMHS aka Home Recording Blanket

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Re: HMHS 215 - The Return of the HMHS aka Home Recording Bla

Post by Jeffster » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:34 pm

Bravo on a cool show, Tony and Zoe/Mark. I enjoyed the songs, but the humorous and informative banter between T. and Z. stole the show for me. I haven't been recording much for the past 7 years, and am a bit rusty at reviews, but I have been playing a lot lately, guitar and singing, a little bit of piano, originals and covers. Anyhow, my brief review of the show:

Dave King - Whatcha Gonna Do - a very catchy pop tune. The harmonica part sounded good, but maybe mixing up the notes just a bit each additional time you play it would be good, so they sound distinctive and live, even if you just hold one note for longer before you bend it up.

The Cracks - Be My Friend Tonight - interesting, distinctive sound. I flashed on Tom Waits.

Bluster - Let it Go - Mark's band got a good, driving, steady, foot tapping beat going. He mentioned Nirvana as a joke, but I think I flashed on the sound of their song, "Dumb," and maybe something by The Kinks like, "All Day and All of the Night," and maybe something by Talking Heads, all in a good way. I can say, I knew him when we marveled and puzzled over PS-02s.

Andrew Richardson - Uhura - a very rich and rewarding sound. There's like a professional sheen that brings the whole mix together well. Perhaps it's like reverb, but all the individual tracks shine and shimmer through clearly as well.

Well, that's all for now. Don't expect any new recordings from me soon, as I only have the PS-04, and I don't think anyone wants that turned on again, it's like a relic, right? Of course, I'm rather like a relic myself, so perhaps there would be some good symmetry there. I would like Tony to hear the new bridge section I wrote for, "Broken Dreams," and I think Zoe would enjoy a new one I wrote...OK, let me see a vote, yea or nay on PS-04 recordings? :-)

Wolfini
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Wolfini » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:09 am

Yeah! PS04 FTW! I still have my PS02 lying around here (though mostly using it as a tuner... LOL). I actually included three (updated) old songs from the PS02 on my "album" last year. I upgraded to the R8 though, and can really recommend that step.

And I remember you from those oooold times on here. :) Good to read from you.

Bye Wolfi

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:46 am

Well, there I was messing about with shortwave radio. Sat in the wooden shed at the bottom of the garden. Pushing my half moon spectacles up my nose. Cradling a brandy in my shaking hands, clad in fingerless gloves. Twiddling with the old knob.

And what should emerge through the flotsam and whistling echoes that flutter over the pond? I recognise that jangly guitar introduction. By jove; it's the HMHS!

Tony, you survived! Mr Zoetrope, amongst us once more!

Dave King – “Whatcha Gonna Do”. I enjoyed the lightness of touch, the guitar was airy and the harmonica a hint of gentle summer. My only gripe is from a health and safety angle. One of the significant dangers in the aftermath of a power cut is fire from electrical items assumed to be off when in fact they are on. Can I suggest a new line?

“Whatcha Gonna Do,
When the lights go out?
Check your appliances
There’s a potential fire hazard about!”

But, safety aspects apart, a jolly good song. The mix was deceptively simple (so not really) and it worked a treat.

I think it’s HEALTHY that a few home recording buffs have come out of the closet! By which, I hastily add, I mean that they are out there playing live.

The Cracks – “Be My Friend Tonight”. Well done! I’ve listened to many of The Cracks’ tunes over the years. Hence the tissue in my hand. It is very ‘Stonesy’, circa 1974, the drums are unobtrusive and effective, the acoustic is not just plectrum on strings (I hear a chord thank God) and the synth really, really works for me. It adds emotional depth at just the right point. The hook plays out nicely and ends the song just so.

Bluster - Let it Go. ‘The Bluster Moving Blankets’… A ‘Homerecording blanket’. Good luck with that one. It’s nice to hear a Disney song done in punk style. Good tight sound, plenty of energy. Good idea about playing with a band to re-energise one’s playing. Personally I’ve stopped playing the guitar too, nor do I listen to any new music. I play in an occasional covers band, once or twice a year. Love the idea that a younger audience think you might be a semi-retired famous outfit!

With regard to murders, if you have body to dispose of just stick it in a bag, stick an address label on it and mail to yourself via DHL. You’ll never see it again.

Mixing. I never really got it. As far as I can tell in a good mix everything sounds separate and I struggled to get that. I might try and record my current band for a laugh. Trouble is we don’t rehearse properly preferring to play it off the cuff in front of the kids at school. We get away with it.

Andrew Richardson – Uhura. I enjoyed this. A good mix, with plenty of space in it. (No pun intended) I do like the puns in the song though; ‘Baby you are set to stun…’. The guitar riff is catchy enough; the bridge is apt and breaks it up nicely. Nice use of Star Trek sound effects. Have you tried pushing this on a Trekkie web site? You’ll get sales or death threats – probably both.
Song writing is its own reward

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:33 am

Jeffster wrote:OK, let me see a vote, yea or nay on PS-04 recordings? :-)
That's a big 10-4 good buddy :^:

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks Wolfi and Zoetrope for the PS-04 votes of confidence. Now I just gotta turn it on... :guitar:

p.s. This post put me at 3000, and I went from being "Yoda" to being "The Force" - I suddenly feel so much more ethereal. :wiggle:
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:41 am

May the Force be with you :)

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:09 pm

How great to hear HMHS back on the interwebs! I hope that it becomes a regular thing again, now that I'm at a point where I have the time to participate.

Banter was pretty good, although I thought that Dave sounded too much like Zoetrope. What??? That WAS Zoetrope? Change that to, "Zoetrope is sounding very much like himself."

To the songs:

Dave King - Whatcha Gonna Do: Lovely tune, great voice, and I love the arrangement. I'm a big fan of songs written about everyday occurrences. I also like doing minimal arrangements; just because we can have 200 tracks, doesn't mean that we need to use them all.

The Cracks - Be My Friend Tonight: Once again, the Cracks proves that he is a one of a kind singer/songwriter. Always a pleasure to hear something new from him, and I can definitely see the open mic groupies swooning for this one.

Bluster - Let it Go: I would not have guessed that this one was from Zoetrope. Where are the bleeps and bloops? I have recently found my ancient ass being interested in Punk, so I can appreciate this offering. I liked the energy, but I think it's a shame that he stole Disney's song, changed it a bit, and is foisting it on us as his own! Shame on you!

Andrew Richardson - Uhura: I am a big fan of novelty songs, and this one is a good one. I have to say that I am shocked by the subject matter, because I thought that I was the only one with a secret crush on Uhura. You might want to be careful, Andrew; she is quick to slap a restraining order on stalkers. (I should know! I still love her, though; I can't help it!)

Speaking of Home Recording Blankets, I seem to recall that the 1st Traveling Willbury's album was recorded in a shed or a garage with moving blankets as the only acoustic treatment. Of course, those guys had an award winning engineer, talented musicians, and a gazillion dollars worth of recording equipment, but otherwise, it was exactly the same setup as Zoetrope's.

Tony: If I want to submit a song, do I email the mp3, or just send a link to the file?

Let me say, once again, that I am happy to see that so many of my imaginary friends are still out there in cyberspace. I'll contribute any way I can to keep it going; just let me know.
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 pm

PS04 is good by me, Jeffster is better.

Patrick, you are banned from the show for insulting my 200 track masterpieces.

Email the song please.

I have recorded the show with Dave (and Patrick got some mentions) so hopefully that will be done soon.

famouspatrick

Post by famouspatrick » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:28 am

tonyoci wrote: Patrick, you are banned from the show for insulting my 200 track masterpieces.
Ha! I've been kicked off of classier forums than this one, and for a lot less! :nuts:

To paraphrase Groucho Marx: I wouldn't want to be a member of a forum that would have me for a member ;)

Looking forward to hearing the next show.
Famous Patrick

"A song is just a tune and a poem"

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:03 am

Never been big on the HMHS with more than one host, but this was really a funny show. Glad I listened. I never knew 'Trope had such a dry sense of humor. My face hurts from smiling which is weird considering...

Dave King - Whatcha Gonna Do Was thinking it was a bit cliched chord prog until the middle 8 and that really made the song. No bass?

The Cracks - Be My Friend Tonight - This is one of the better BIAB cracked tunes, but the vocals don't seem to fit due to the amount of 'verb. Could stand a bit more low end.

Bluster - Let it Go - Finally, some low end! Wonder who's fondling the bass player?

Andrew Richardson - Uhura - Pretty darn good tune and great vocals. Needs some low/bottom end. What happened to GitFan's rant on the drums?

Yep, not many are doing much recording.

At home.
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Well.. that was fun!
Thanks for the show.
Always a good time. :D

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Re: HMHS 215 - The Return of the HMHS aka Home Recording Blanket

Post by greenA2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:55 pm

Just listened to this (i know, always timely :P) and really liked the Bluster song, listening to the rest of your EP now. Interesting show.
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMHS 215 - The Return of the HMHS aka Home Recording Blanket

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks. :)