Home Made Hit Show #4 is now onlin

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:30 pm

tonyoci wrote: they dumped my couple of posts looking for songs.
Wankers.
Looks like you're stuck with us :wink:
0 x

Dragondicer
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Dragondicer » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:33 pm

Too bad that MusicDiscussion.com didn't see the usefulness and demand of a show like this!!! :roll: :( :roll:

I really tried my best, but unfortunately you didn't find together somehow!
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:35 pm

This is a nice site I came across also

http://www.guitaristworks.com/
0 x

AndrewB
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by AndrewB » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:00 am

Tony, you could also try giving PaulT a buzz. He's not here often but he knows the Mac community well and might be able to help you reach it. Lots of folk use the Mac and garage band to make songs.
0 x
Listen to my songs at:
www.soundclick.com/andrewbrock

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Post by storpotaten » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:37 am

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but being a non-native-English-speaker I have to ask: What is a "Catherine Wheel"?

Searched the Internet for it (painstakingly entering all possible URLs one by one), but most of the hits where about some English rock band which didn't make sense to me.

Loved that track, just had to ask.
0 x

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:42 am

well, for the cause I posted in alt.music.home-recording (rockin sax) we'll see if it does any good.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:20 pm

A Catherine Wheel that I know of (from the UK) is a kind of firework.

http://lookwayup.com/lwu.exe//lwu/d?t=C ... st=synrelX

I think it's also known as a pin wheel

""The name Catherine's Wheel is applied to devices from many disciplines. Fireworks, electrical apparatus, and others have 'Catherine's Wheels'. Basically, a circular shaped object that spins. A legendary Christian martyr of the 4th century, Catherine of Alexandria was a woman of high rank and learning. When she protested against the worship of idols, Emperor Maxentius had her tortured on a wheel and beheaded. Nothing is known of her cult until the 8th century. She is often pictured with a spiked wheel and a book.""
0 x

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:28 pm

OUCH!!!
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:37 pm

I thought Catherine Wheel was a Canuck outfit. :shock:
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:03 pm

Okay guys, show five is out now so go listen to it too (and especially the second song by a wonderful man that gives gifts to poor children all over the world on Christmas Eve as well as Kwanza) and put "Jingle (Freakin') Bells" to bed once and for all!

PS
I forge ahead in my one man quest to undermine a song that is part of the fabric of the most loved holiday in modern times.

...I'm sorry. It's the proverbial eggnog speakin' (again).
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Hugo
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Hugo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 pm

Reply LONG after the fact to Lee - "Butterfly" was a demo - recorded within a day or two of its conception - same thing over & over to capture the idea, play with the lyrics slightly to find the phrasing I liked best - then I kept dubbing stuff on because I was having fun. The one CD I've offered publicly was thrown together as a kind of "friends & family" sampler when I was approaching a period when I knew it would be difficult to do much writing and recording. I never intended the CD to be commercial or considered it complete...I offered Tony any one of the dozen songs on that CD, and he surprised me by choosing "Butterfly". I have since fleshed out the lyrics, but have not done a remake. Have an overall concept for a bridge, but never got to completing that, either. I never intended it to be taken for a completed song, and had pointed out to Tony that it was an incomplete demo...

As for your dislike of "Jingle Bells" - well, I can understand that - but I like the song because it's a "winter" song as opposed to "holiday" song - and you ought to see the way kids take to it with a rock-n-roll beat. I performed the version from Show 5 live (with guitar and a friend on snare & splash cymbal) at my daughter's kindergarten class and the teacher nearly had to call security - kids LOVED the beat. This particular recording was done spontaneously for family use one morning and I sent it to Tony before lunch...wish I'd mixed it hotter and more carefully - but it was just a fun holiday quickie...

In another post when I suggested that Tony might include an interview per episode, these are the little, brief kind of details that I think would be nice to hear about the Homemade Hits - but I'm also interested in how people record, and how people write.
0 x
Once a week Tony climbs on his roof and shouts to the world: "SHOW US YOUR HITS!"

http://iacmusic.com/hughhamilton
http://myspace.com/hughhamilton