Home Made Hit Show Episode 12

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com

Song o' da week

Let You Down - Benee Wafers & The Ruby Poppers
No votes
Wouldn't You Like to Change It - Project 43
25%
Purple - Ethic
13%
When He Leaves - Lennon Bone
13%
Find My Way - Mario "Blues Jr" De Francesca
50%
Guilty - Dave Adam
No votes

Total votes: 8

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Home Made Hit Show Episode 12

Post by tonyoci » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:25 am

www.homemadehitshow.com

No show next week so make the most of it :D

I tried to harden the rock content for Lee 8)
0 x

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:10 am

I think you succeded well in your goal to put more "Rock" into this show. But you can give me a dreamy ballad any day, and I'll be happy. :D Once again, you put together a fine collection of indie songs, and I thank you for it. Have fun skiing with your son next week!
0 x
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:42 am

Lee didn't happen to send you the book "Ski Like A Pro" by Sonny Bono, did he?
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:16 am

Writing as I listen (I’ve never prefixed a “review” this way to my recollection)…

“Let You Down” has a cool classic southern rock vibe but it could use some improvement to make it top-notch. The “My Virtual Band” promo felt like a commercial, but it was well done. Yes, that’s what you call full-blown arm-chairing. Even the commercials aren’t safe!

Hmmm… I had something to do with “Wouldn't You Like to Change It” being played? :shock:…cringe. Sorry! It was like Ska meets Judas Priest… I did not enjoy that number at all. Oh my, I rather hated it. Tried to be patient but I had to give it the ol’ gong.

By the way, all these sites need to do a little better than sticking the word “virtual” in everything. We get the freakin’ point already, “it’s a computer on the internet and it’s like ‘virtual man’, wow!”

Purple’s Ethic has a cool intro and groove. I dig the name, not deep and presumably not shallow either. Just Purple. Oh dang, that’s the song’s name isn’t it? Oh well. Ethic is kind of a corny band name (I’m in top arm-chairing shape tonight folks). Oh okay, I hear the lyrics and now I get it! Purple = royalty and they might even be Christians to use that symbolism. That’s cool. Still not crazy about the band name but the song isn’t bad. I love a little bass slapping as much as the next guy, but less is more… Okay, I’m back from their page and I had to love the “Kiss, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Earth wind and fire” influences! There’s always one fruitcake in every band that insists on listing like Michael Jackson as an influence (I love Earth Wind & Fire/Philip Bailey). I’m a fruitcake too so….

Lennon Bone’s tune was subtle but very effective. I was impressed by it because it had a vibe that I dug.

Who’s this Blues Jr. character? If it wasn’t for one or so pops on the microphone I would have to say that this song sounds pro. I’ve said it before, but I really like this number a lot. Wish I wrote it! Yep, I’m petty and childish that way… sorry Mario!

…Tony saying something about something that I don’t understand… blah blah blah…

“Guilty” kicks in and I like it so far. Okay, it’s sounding pretty cool with these voxs and choppy rhythms… nice! The cheesy lead in the left channel should be redone. Wish the chorus had more kick to it but it’s pretty decent overall. The vocals and rhythm stand out but the leads could either be dropped or reworked. The chorus backups should come up tonally and volume-wise in my opinion by way of some stereo separation. This could be a killer song with some minor reworking. This last one is what I had in mind for “heavier” stuff. Thank you for playing it Tony. The closing lead was actually pretty good and should replace the earlier lead or something.

Great show and have fun next week man. You know, both you and my boss will be on vacation next week. Coincidence? Perhaps… or maybe all the people that make my life miserable are off next week! :lol: Not true at all… (on both counts)… just a cheesy joke.

Seriously, have fun man.

PS
I'm getting the feeling that nobody is even reading my longwinded posts as of late. I don't blame ya! I wouldn't either! :lol: ...but it makes me feel better to "vent" a little. Kind of therapeutic. :)
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:43 am

Oh I read 'em all. I just don't respond as much to postings anymore. Ain't got alot to say.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:48 am

I read em Lee, don't understand 'em but I read em.

My conclusion based on your review is that I have no idea what you like and hence will stop trying to please only you at the expense of everyone else. :D
0 x

shaft
dues paid
dues paid

Post by shaft » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:33 am

its a nice collection of songs
a bit rockier this time, a nice change
0 x

chf
Yoda
Yoda

Post by chf » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:36 pm

Great show. Good selection. Nice to see our own Blues Jr up there...by far the best song so I voted for it.

Nice Ferret sign off. Quite literally not a fade.

Chf

ps there's no pleasing some people, eh? :P
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:41 pm

My conclusion based on your review is that I have no idea what you like and hence will stop trying to please only you at the expense of everyone else
Sounds like a good plan! :lol: Honest, I'm honored that my opinion would even be considered on these matters. It was good while it lasted! :)

For the record (and in defense of my armchair producer disposition), I have also said that every show should have a mellow song and not to shy away from acoustic songs. Nevertheless, I totally know that I could not (in a million years) do a better job than you're doing. If I selected the songs it would be so disjointed and annoying that nobody would even listen to it. Heck, I probably wouldn't either! My mood changes what I like so... I don't always know myself.

I really liked two out of the three heavier tunes. I'm joking around a lot and we're all a little more critical of stuff that's closer to our area or genre. That last song has a ton of potential.

PS
Rick, I didn't notice the book joke until just now... that is extremely funny in a morbid kind of way! :lol:
0 x

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:56 pm

Fine show Tony Bennie and the wafer poppers gets my vote. Note to Lee..check out mvb and follow a thread on the "4 or more tracks" forum called blow up the blues. the final version is called red wine and it is completely insane what they did. anyway enjoy your week off and maybe i'll get over my musical constipation.
0 x

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:58 pm

Lee wrote:I'm getting the feeling that nobody is even reading my longwinded posts as of late.
I read them, Lee, as I feel you share well thought and written ideas. Of late, I have not had the time to post as much as I used to, not to mention I just don't know as much as you do on some of these 70's and 80's rock groups (oops. I told myself not to mention that :oops: ).

But I agree, Rick's witty banter scores major kudos again with the Sonny Bono reference. Funny, but reallly Rick, perhaps in poor taste? I mean, I thought to write, "Break a leg," but you didn't see me saying anything so funny and mean as that, did you??? :wink: And you got 2 birds with 1 stone, Tony and Lee with a 1 liner, so that's bonus points...errr...I mean doubly bad on you, Rick. You really ought to be ashamed of yourself, young man!!! Now, go to your room, and write a hit rock song for the HMHS. :lol:
0 x

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:02 pm

I won't get to listen to this till tuesday (sounds like a cool band name huh? )
but had to say Rick, you are ill... funny, but ill. ;-)

I wanted to thak tony for the point to MVB, I joined up over there, haven't done anything yet, been working on my own epic which, let's see covers 4 nations. :shock: , but will be, some of the blues stuff I have heard is very cool, and the Creative commons license is rather interesting as well.

Keep rockin!

BTW, Lee did you get my PM?
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:14 pm

"Why is everybody always pickin' on me?" :shock:
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:00 am

Rick wrote:"Why is everybody always pickin' on me?"
Because you call the English teacher Dadio.

The first person who knows what this means will win a million dollars! I have a feeling Rick and Jeffster will get it quickly as well as Howard and Bill. Don't worry, it doesn't mean anything if you don't "get it". Okay, I'm trying to be funny and it's just not working... is it? Hmm....
Did you hear the one about about Sonny Bono?

Rick, even when you lack taste you're still quite funny so don't worry if you get picked on from time to time.
0 x

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:46 am

The first person who knows what this means will win a million dollars!
...Charlie Brown, he's a clown, that Charlie Brown,
He's gonna get caught, just you wait and see,
Why's everybody always pickin' on me?[

See, those I know! :lol: Geese, I'm old...

Here's the whole thing:

THE COASTERS lyrics - "Charlie Brown"

Fe-fe, fi-fi, fo-fo, fum
I smell smoke in the auditorium

Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown
He's a clown, that Charlie Brown
He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me)

That's him on his knees
I know that's him
Yeah, from 7 come 11
Down in the boys' gym

He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

Who's always writing on the wall
Who's always goofing in the hall
Who's always throwing spit balls
Guess who (who, me) yeah, you

Who walks in the classroom, cool and slow
Who calls the English teacher, Daddy-O

He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see

[Instrumental Interlude]

Who walks in the classroom, cool and slow
Who calls the English teacher, Daddy-O

He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:59 am

Cool man!!! I knew that you would nail it instantly.

I grew up listening to music from the mid to late fifties and early (pre-invasion) sixties and didn't know it wasn't contemporary music until we started listening to 70s top-40 on the AM radio.

Thanks for posting the whole tune Jeff!

PS
The Coasters kick butt and The Platters are one of my all-time favorites. Not a day goes by that I don't hum or sing one of theirs. BTW, this next tune I'm working on (it's in the noodle, finished) is strongly based on doo-wop style melodies but I will likely cover a lot of that once I go to record it with guitar and all (it will be our little secret). ;)

If I could choose a decade to live in... it would be the fifties.
:)
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:57 am

I was born in 1960, so the 50's and most 60's stuff got past me. I think my first two album purchases were Sgt. Barry Sadler's Ballad Of The Green Berets and Boots Randolph's Yakety Sax. Then I got Glen Campbell's Galveston and a Johnny Cash lp. Pete Fountain and Louis Armstrong were in there too. Oh and The Spiritualaires.

As a kid, I thought Jerry Van Dyke had the best gig going. Still wish I could play ragtime banjo. "Hello Dolly, well hello Dolly......"

It's a million wonders I ever picked up on rock. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x