Loving my Toneport so far :-)

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
vmcghee

Loving my Toneport so far :-)

Post by vmcghee » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:10 am

I picked up my Toneport UX2 earlier this week, and I'm loving the hell out of it.

It's amazing how much better my guitar sounds :-)

I'm finding Gearbox easy to use, but it came with Ableton Live and I'm sorry to say I looked at it like I had to decipher alien text.

First off, I had to drive back to the store the following day to pick up the Ableton CD as they'd taken it out of the box at some point before I bought it and never replaced it. Nice.

Then I installed it, and sat down to do the run through.

Whoever wrote that demo obviously never had anyone check his work. It ought to be a prerequisite that if you write a demo to walk people through the software for the first time, you need to have someone who's unfamiliar with it to test your demo before you put the thing out!!!

I worked with it for a good 30 minutes and could'nt make heads or tails of it. I'm pretty good with software in general and I learn pretty fast, but I'm sorry.

It looks like so much is packed into it, that I wonder if it's total overkill for me and not the easiest tool to use.

Do any of you use it?

I also need to get Riffmaker under my belt. Now that looks a whole lot easier to work with.
0 x

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:31 am

I think it comes with Ableton Live Lite- which I never even installed. You only can use 4 tracks and it's not really very usable.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:59 am

Make sure and upgrade Gearbox to the latest release you get a couple more amps etc.

Ableton Live is a different way of looking at recording. I know two people who use it like masters, my theory has always been that you simply either get it or you don't (and I don't).

I recommend sticking to what you know at least while you learn the Toneport and Gearbox itself.

Remember the Toneport has lots of available upgrades all of which you can buy and be fully refunded within 30 days. More amps and effects in the power pack (including Stereo Delay which is priceless), classic amps pack, metal pack and FX pack (this is dumb but includes Boost+EQ which is also priceless)
0 x

vmcghee

Post by vmcghee » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:46 am

I know I'll end up getting the extra packs at some point soon.

I'm just having so much fun finding different tones based on specific guitarists like Satriani, Page, Hendrix, etc, even Joe Walsh tones from Hotel California are pretty accurate.

To be honest, my hands are hurting from over playing. From time to time I get trigger finger which causes my fingers to snap and lock closed and I just got rid of a bout I had for over a year. Now it's my wrists and forearms that are hurting. I know that's just from over playing while on vacation.

I just can't put it down, lol :-)
0 x