Recording vocals with the Toneport

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Recording vocals with the Toneport

Post by nicka » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:06 am

Hey all what do u do for recording vocals with the Toneport. with mics and patches.

My reason for asking is that i hadn't tried any vocal mics until today where i just got a new Behringer condensor and i have waited till i got it until i tried but i seem to have no gain.
Thinking it was just the mic maybe not getting enough power through the phantom output i also tried a pencil condensor i have and then a dynamic into the instrument input but the gain in all mics just seems so weak.

I threw down some drums, guitar and bass and i can hardly even hear the vocals both while i am singing and during playback.

I have tried different patches with the volumes turned all the way up and also the gain on the top of the Toneport turned to max but there's no way to get full gain.

With the zoom units i had i could have the volume levels way louder than the playback recording while recording so i can hear myself while i sing through the headphones but i cannot get anywhere near that with the Tonport

Any tips or what am i doing wrong.

I may even look at getting a mic preamp and plugging into the line inputs in the rear of the unit but thats last resort.

Cheers

Nick
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:03 am

You absolutely don't need a preamp.

The key is the knobs on the Toneport for the gain. For a test if you have the phantom power on, and the gain knob turned all the way to 10 and the Gearbox setting for a standard patch and your vocals are low then something is wrong. For a condenser mic you only need the gain knob set to about 5 to get a decent signal.

Inside Gearbox you can change the meters etc. to show input volume, output volume etc. Set it to Input Volume and see if you're getting a decent input.

There are also knobs in Gearbox that control the volume you record separately from the volume you hear for the input track.
0 x

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:18 am

You did change the Source Select To Mic? Just trying to make a check list.
0 x

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:44 am

Thanks Tone and Riff

I had a bit of success today with a bit of spare time i found.

When i record 2 guitars, bass and import the drum loops with all presets the volume is pretty much maxed out in the master and it leaves no room for vocals to sit in their so i have to turn down the presets slightly to make room.
Also the dynamic mic still doesn't seem to get enough gain through the instrument input and my new Behringer condenser is just a piece of crap just like all the other Behringer items i have purchased(lesson learnt).
I have used my pencil condenser this time for vocals and with some tweaking in the vocal patch and a volume decrease for the other tracks all should be good now, i think.

The behringer mic wasn't the top quality one, a C-3 but for $130 it is a waste of money considering my 99 cent Takstar Chinese ebay pensil condensers walk all over it for gain.

Cheers

Nick
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:59 am

A dynamic is not intended to go through the instrument in. If you want to use a dynamic you need an XLR cable then you put it through the mic inputs and use the gain control.

Even if you record your tracks loud you can just turn them down in the DAW no need to lower the recording volume. Though everything I read says we should be recording between -6fb and -12db anyway.
0 x

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:29 am

Thanks Tone

I should read manuals first hey :D
0 x

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:14 pm

I'll try my luck here but i don't like my chances.
I also posted this on the Line 6 forum but got no replies.
I have searched for the info but couldn't find it but does anyone know how much current the phantom power can supply out of the XU2.

My Behringer mic needs 7mA to work and i am just elliminating a fault being in the Mic or if the Toneport can't handle it to know if i have to send it back.
A few of my friends that have music gear but don't have anything with XLR's and phantom power so i have nothing else to try it on.

Nick
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:24 pm

I have checked a couple of condensers including the one I own and all of them require 3ma or thereabouts, so 7 is huge.

The only other help I can offer is that I own or have tried 6 or 7 condensers with the Toneport and they all work without problem.

There are XLR cables that do not have the power pin enabled. Are you 100% sure you don't have one of them ? Does the cable work with other phantom power gear ?
0 x

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:02 pm

tonyoci wrote:There are XLR cables that do not have the power pin enabled. Are you 100% sure you don't have one of them ? Does the cable work with other phantom power gear ?
Thanks Tony

The cable should be fine as i am using the same cable for both mics.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:48 pm

I thought you were having the same problem with both mics ???
0 x

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:03 pm

No the pencil consensors are fine now as i mentioned above and the dynamic i havn't worried about as i would prefer to use a condensor now that i have got the gain out of the pencils but i would rather use a vocal condensor to thicken the sound up.

The pencils now when plugged can pick up every creak around the room and outside noises but the Behringer still only seems to work like a dynamic.

But i would like to use a vocal condensor to try and thicken up the sound over the pencils.

Sorry for the confusion, probably my bad explanations :?
0 x

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:33 pm

Well i have had very little time to even look at the Toneport with work commitments away from home but i have since discovered the phantom power from the Toneport does not have enough power to drive the behringer mic as i tried the mic out on another phantom power supply and it worked fine with plenty of gain so it looks like i will either have to buy a phantom power supply or look at getting another mic.

So just a heads up to be careful of the mics you buy for the Toneport.
0 x