Line 6 TonePort Tone Port UX8 and stuff....

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Line 6 TonePort Tone Port UX8 and stuff....

Post by minerman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:16 pm

Regarding the latancy settings on the Line 6, my POD X3 Live & Guitat Port's settings go down to 128. You should be able to adjust the latency with your UX2 'til there is none. Click the drop down menu & select 128, then adjust the slider underneath, the more to the left you move the slider, the lower the latency, but it causes increased CPU usage. Don't give up on it just yet Mace, Line 6's products are really good, it just takes some "tinkering" to get 'em set up right. Hope everything works out!!!
0 x
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Oscar Schmidt, Carlo Robelli
EVH LBX 15w, EVH 4x12, Marshall 1960A
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 'phones
NI Komplete Audio 6, Alesis Q25, M-Audio BX8
Shure, Sennheiser, Audix, Samson, Behringer & Carvin mics
Dell Desktop: Intel Quad Core i7-4790, 16GB RAM, Windows 7

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:19 pm

Man, I didn't know this thread has been touched since it was moved.

I've never had a problem with my UX2 and don't think 'Oci, Lee-e. Gooey, 'Tropee or anybody-e else have either. That tonedirect monitoring is marvey. No latency. Ever. If you've got latency mace-e, it is probably comin' from yer DAW, dooooooooooood.
And don't listen to the guy above, he's got a freakin' Pod. Very different MONKEY, man!!
Maybe you have Line6 antibodies. :P
I'd take it back. :lol:

Too bad about the Classical. I love mine and play it the most right now. Yes, I have to tune it every time I use it because it has Nylon strings, but it's got a freakin' built-in tuner. Now that's what I call progress.... :D
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:57 pm

I not only have a POD, but I have a Guitar Port also, Dude, & the ASIO control panel for both of 'em are exactly the same, so I just assumed all Line 6 ASIO control panels were like mine. But, the UX2 & X3L are very different monkeys, & Mr. Sun may just be right about the DAW latency. Check your Reaper control panel Mace, plus you can acces the Line 6 ASIO settings from there also! :lol: Hope you figure it out, Line 6 stuff kicks butt!!!!
0 x

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:10 pm

thanx guys....

ok, i was out for the evening- a good rest, and so i shall try again. MM, when i put on 128 it started glitching, but maybe it was because i was right over to the left as well. i'll try fiddling..
and steve- leave my reaper alone :lol: hee hee
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:19 pm

yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.

ok, i got the latency issue nailed. Thanx guys- it was the slider. you need to be at 128 and not right to the left with the slider, i am 1 over. wow- that is primo fantastico now.

now i need to figure why some settings are so quiet(like the acoustic settings). i have everything cranked too. weird.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:22 pm

WHY NO TUNER IN PODFARM PLUGIN MODE???? HOW DUMBA IS THAT? :lol:
0 x

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:30 pm

Cool Mace,
In POD Farm, there's an input knob (top left), monitoring knob (top right), patch volume knob (lower right, under the gear carousel), and a pan knob next to the patch volume. When I use POD Farm standalone, I personally turn the monitoring in POD Farm "OFF", & use Reaper's track channel fader to control the volume. That way, you hear what's actually coming out of Reaper, instead of POD Farm. When I use Gearbox, I run my POD through my Tascam (my POD has the USB dropout issue with my PC, it's not the POD, it's the PC, finally got to try it out on another PC & it works correctly), so someone else may have to help you on that, but I'm glad you got the latency fixed! Just turn & fiddle with the knobs 'til something happens!!! :lol:

Dunno about that one, I wondered myself, but you can use POD Farm standalone & record dry tracks, then apply the VST plug later. That's how I did the guitar track on the collab a little while back. Personally, I don't re-amp, I just record what I'm hearing, sometimes I even record the output of the track in Reaper, to save on CPU, but that's just me. Have fun!!!
0 x

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:40 pm

i'm gonna pack it in for the nite....very nice. I find when i open a project i've done, i may have some issues as the latency comes back if i am using lots of CPU already- time to upgrade to a quad i think.

btw- if i want to use my speakers, rather than headphones, speakers that are attached to the soundcard, not the UX2, can i do it so i can monitor reaper and recording live? I tried but i flew out the window with feedback screech :lol:
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:05 am

ok. i'm working on a sample song to learn this thing. I am still having big troubles with volume...i don't get it, everything is full blast (top nob, bottom nob(not the pan knob of course), my guitar, headphones- all....

I am using the Big Acoustic preset, i even tried turning off the preset pariculars(noise gates etc...) and i still hear squat.

Any heavy metal effect is very loud, but the acoustics don't even barely make a mark in the wav readout when recording- almost a straight line..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:45 am

...has something to do with the UX2 volume. I am using the UX2 as a soundcard, but full blast it is still quiet. Can't seem to find any info from line 6.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 pm

ok, what i have discovered is that the acoustic presets are too quiet and need an amp to be added. i did that, played a bit and have a good level. Sheesh, what are they trying to do, set me up for the fall :)

Anyways, i recorded my first guitar track, no latency and primo. I really like this guys. What i really like is that i can switch via the pc between the ux2 card and my soundcard to playback- WAY faster than with the zoom.

really liking this now- thanx for the help and sorry for bugging y'all......

:)
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:29 pm

The PodFarm (a free download for us LineSixers a while back) interface isn't quite as user friendly as the original GearBox interface is IMO. They are basically the same monkey, but GearBox seems to have less hidden than PF. I could give a crap about the amp, amp, and cabinet carousel thing, but dual tones can be kinda nice. I would only use the PodFarm interface for dual tones. I'm staying away from the VST thing in the thread below or so. Read to see why. I'll just do it like they almost always have and go with the sound I want when tracking except for vocals.
Get the GearBox software if you can. You can use either one (but not at the same time).
Last edited by Sungodv on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:42 pm

...problem is that i can't gearbox as a vst. I d/led the standalone and it works fine, but when i open as a plug, i get a window prompting me to use monkey to get it authenticated, fine... but when i use monkey, the gearbox doesn't get listed. So i tried to look for it manually, and same thing, not listed as a plug on line 6. Do you have it as a plug? and if not, how do you use it as a standalone in your DAW?

Thanx for the help. I recorded a guitar and vocal today to try it- sweet.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Not sure what I was unclear about....
Sungodv wrote: I'm staying away from the VST thing in the thread below or so. Read to see why. I'll just do it like they almost always have and go with the sound I want when tracking except for vocals.
To further clarify, I use the stand alone Gearbox software/interace as it was intended at the time I got my UX2. Long before any VST was available (to my limited knowledge).
0 x
My Songs

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:35 pm

Sungodv wrote:Not sure what I was unclear about....
Mostly that you don't answer questions :lol: I think we all understood that you use the standalone from your previous post.

My question was (and not directed to you in particular since you don't use it apparantly) if anyone knew how to get the VST working since that was the problem at the time, which i have figure out and posted about in another thread.....

The question you didn't answer however was, and i requote:

"...and if not, how do you use it as a standalone in your DAW?"

And to rephrase it so it isn't misunderstood.... If you are using gearbox as a standalone product, 'as it was originally intended', is there a way to direct it's output to a DAW, thus bypassing the need for a VST plugin?? If not, then it is useless to my needs as i want to record the signal obviously...

Really , my question is moot now as i got the vst working anyways...but i'd still be interested on if one can record the output of the standalone products into their DAW's... just so i know how in cse i need to at some point.

*btw- for those who had a similar issue with gearbox as a VST, the answer to the issue was to upgrade to the latest reaper version and then it worked for me...but i use podfarm solely now and have become quite familiar and confortable with it.

Maceman
0 x

minerman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by minerman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:03 am

Hey Mace,
I use the X3L running into my Tascam interface with 2- 1/4" guitar cords. I use the standalone Gearbox program to record my guitars & bass tracks. BUT, when I record my vocals, I use POD Farm as a VST in Reaper. I can have Gearbox & POD Farm running at the same time like this. To use my Guitar Port as standalone here's what I have to do, & you should be able to use the UX2 like this:

1)Connect the USB from the UX2 to your PC, & connect your headphones to the UX2 (you can also connect monitors with the RCA jacks, but if you're recording a vocal track, you'll have mic bleed using monitors ;) )

2)Open Reaper, select UX2 ASIO driver in Reaper prefrences (make sure you have the UX2 drivers installed) & open POD Farm

3)Turn the Monitoring knob in POD Farm "OFF", you won't hear anything until you arm a track in Reaper & turn the monitoring "ON" in Reaper (This way you hear what is actually coming from Reaper, instead of POD Farm. For example, you might have another reverb, or chorus on the track you're recording to.)

4)Select a patch & record away!!!

If you have any more questions, or if I've left anything out, PM or e-mail me & we'll get that UX2 up & running!!!
Hope this helps!!!
0 x

My Music

@ Soundclick
@ Reverbnation
@ Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:30 am

He forgot:

5) Light a candle and sacrifice a small animal.

:hilarious:

I guess you've figured everything out since you posted a new tune.
Your vocal on that one sounds like its from the MRS-8.
0 x
My Songs