Line 6 TonePort Tone Port UX8 and stuff....

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Line 6 TonePort Tone Port UX8 and stuff....

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:21 pm

bought it new.

i have activated the product, upgraded all the drivers and such. i see the needles moving on both the ux2 and the monitor led is moving on the computer....nothing.

i have the imput set to instrument and am plugged in the instrument normal port......

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:24 pm

You will also have to have the Gearbox, or Podfarm software loaded and running.

To hear what you are playing you will have to use these bits of software to direct the input.

You have several choices 1 a single instrument input. 2. Mike input one and instrument input 3 both mic inputs. These I think are the most useful.

You need to change the Reaper property settings to Line 6 Asio as well.

That's all I think of off the top of my head.
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:30 pm

thanx leigh... i am glad you are online... ok, i don't have gearbox istalled yet nor did i switch anything in reaper so maybe that is why. stay tuned :) DID THIS COME WITH A MANUAL TO TELL US TO DO THAT? If it did, it is missing from me box :)

btw- i am plugging my phones in direct to the pod, so i don't see why i don't get sound. is the sound going to be routed from the pod to pc and back to pod?? Sounds weird to do that, no>

Thanx for the help!

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Apart from the initial installation manual, I think everything else is on-line or downloadable. though other countries may br different to the UK.
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:50 pm

...did you have to pay an additional 49.00 to get the pod farm to work? Man alive- this is getting out of hand. my box says pod farm included. I didn't know i needed to buy something else outside of the UX2?

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:06 pm

ok, i am getting some sound now. i find some presets are very quiet so i need time to fiddle. ALso, leigh, how did you set it up for reaper. i can record while not hearing anything) but then i can hear it played back only. thanx....

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:32 pm

Mines been set up for such a long time I have forgotten what I did so bear with me awhile.

right try this

Ensure you load Gearbox (Podfarm) before loading Reaper.

Go into Reaper tab "options" and click on preferences.

In the box that opens click audio device.

You should have drop down boxes that list ASIO toneport ux2. That's the one you want.

In the other boxes it should read something like "Send 1 and send 3" and output 1 and 2

Try that and se where it gets you

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:37 pm

ok, i will fiddle with reaper in a bit- i should not have jumped the gun too far...

let go back a step to the standalone. Ok, i have it working, but with theux2 imput and output cranked, volume on computer sound tab for ux2 cranked,guitar preamp cranked, i am getting barely any volume. only the harder guitars seem louder, but things like acoustic guitar and such, i can actually hear my acoustic over my headphones, and i know phones are good.... hmmmm. ignore any typos, i am trying to type with guitar in lap and headphones on...... :)

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:40 pm

Regarding Podfarm: I didn't get Podfarm when I purchased my ux2 - but I did get a free download of it from line 6. If you get yourself sorted using gearbox first the podfarm is doddle later, though if you need to use it as a vst you'll need to make sure you have the latest incarnation of Reaper installed.

To answer the question - No I didn't pay extra for Podfarm and I also got riffworks free at the same time, which included instant drummer.

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Are you using Gearbox?

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:49 pm

I am using podfarm.

You cannot run gearbox and podfarm at the same time. When i try to load gearbox, it says another app(podfarm) is running.

Okay, i now closed podfarm and open gearbox (notice how i answered previous questions myself, the fact they now load means i didn't have to pay additionally :) SOmething must have glitch earier(maybe me :)

okay, MUCH better... so do you just use gearbox? I liked the podfarm look and feel of how you could switch up stuff, but this one is working. Looks like some presets are different as well? Much better though....

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:13 pm

I prefer Podfarm myself- all gearboxes presets are available through Podfarm. And you can use it within reaper to add effects to a recorded signal.

But Gearbox's is easier to setup initially and there's plenty in it to keep you going till you get the hang of it.

I like simple if it lets me put down my music. Pretty comes later. :lol:

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Leigh, ok a couple questions... eating pizza now and taking a break, my neck hurts :)

Anyways, with riffworks, what does the drum program do? Can i use it for click tracks in reaper so i have some sort of drums to play with when recording guitar.

Also, what is your asio settings in reaper, specifically the buffer size. I have set to extra small and 512 but still have latency. Is this the best it can do, or is yours better? I should be able to strum and not notice, no?

Also, i need to figure out why gearbox's volume is good, but my podfarm is not.... hmmmm.

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:18 pm

one last thing... i can run gearbox standalone, but not plugin. When i try it is disable and says to click to get the monkey up, when the monkey is up, there is no way to activate(doesn't list it)- ahhhhhhhhhh....

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:29 pm

I'm getting a headache now. :lol:

Don't take this as gospel. The Gearbox version you have is designed to only work when the UX2 is connected. I leave the UX2 permanently connected to my pc and use it an external soundcard. I don't use the pc's speakers at all, just headphones, or some seperate monitors, so I'm unsure of why or what your trying to disable. And monkey works best when your Line6 device is connected.

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:39 pm

ha. me too- a big headache...

actually i tired all the latency settings and if this is the best, it is going back. i can't record with that kind of delay happening....

yes, i had the ux2 in all the time so i am not sure why gearbox isn't showing as an additional plugin to monkey...

Thanx for helping anyways man!

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Riffworks is another form of DAW. The one supplied with the UX2 is somewhat restricted, and to get full use of it you would need to "upgrade". It does work quite well but it's not a patch on Reaper. So unless you really really want to I would leave it alone for now.

Instant drummer is another matter though. It's quite a neat way of laying the drum tracks down, though if you want to use it you'll have to go into Sonoma Wire works for the freebees and to purchase some decent samples.

If you can get drums another way I wouldn't spend too much time with it. But I quite like it. Particularly for some of my flights of fancy.

I'm not sure why your getting latency problems as it seems ok to me, and I know others use it too without much problem and they're more particular than me. Maybe have to play with it a bit more and maybe a good nights sleep.