Troubleshooting Line6 with Windows7

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Troubleshooting Line6 with Windows7

Post by maceman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 pm

I am having some major issues, probably just something i am overlooking.

To explain this, i think i am going to have to make screen shots, which will take some time, but here is the issue ahead of time:

It took me a while to get the DAW up and running with the million plug-ins and such, but everything seems to be there.

The issue i am having is that this system has an integrated HD audio on the motherboard.

Everything plays back and sounds great, EXCEPT any track in which I am using podfarm (i think). The problem is that I have many more drop-down options that before, so i am having trouble figure out how to set this.

I recorded some never songs using a vocal effect i made in podfarm, thus i have that plugged in and it shows in the DAW with no issues. but those tracks are silent. The rest are playing back.

Any preliminary thoughts? Steve? Lucas? Minnerman James? anyone- help me please! I have no voice still and even my recorded voice is silent :)

Maceman

ps. i will post pics once i make them....
pss. please don't move this thread...i am unsure if it is podfarm to be honest- it may be my audio set-up and thus needs to be kept here.....for now.
psss. HD audio drop-down has 'none connected' for input device???
0 x

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by Polly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 pm

There may be no connection but I'm having problems with Windows 7 on my Line 6 KB37. Yesterday, for example, the keyboard works but won't play chords, only single notes. This is using their new Windows 7 drivers. :?
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Ok, here are the snapshots. Can anyone see what may be wrong from this info??

Polly, i don't think it is related, but maybe...let's see what the boys think!

0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:40 pm

EDIT**
It is definitely podfarm related. When i uncheck the podfarm effect, i can hear the track(s). So something is not working with podfarm..... :(
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Does it work using the asio ux2 driver?
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:22 pm

no. it doesn't work for any of the listed drivers at all. It only works if i uncheck the podfarm effect. :(

Hey, Leigh- i should have thought to ask you too, as i know you have one of these. Are you running on win 7 ?
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Not yet, though my new pc is getting closer and will likely be win7 64bit, though I keep having doubts when I hear of others problems.
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Got to ask the dumb question here.

Do you have your headphones or speakers plugged in to the Pod Farm device ? Your symptoms are those of using the internal based sound card.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Also wondering why you are using ASIO4ALL instead of the native UX2 drivers ?
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Another question - Are you recording the vocals in using podfarm, or are using the podfarm as a plug in on a dry recorded vocal track, or both?

Knowing which will help isolating the thinking about the problem. My thought is that although the ux2 driver may now work for the hardware, I think there are still some issues with plugins for 64bit win7.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanx Guys...

Tony, there are no dumb questions when it comes to getting me up and running. I'd rather be found doing something stupid or overlooking something and get working again rather than be a genious with no playability :)

Anyways to answer:

1. I have the headphones plugged into the UX2 currently. It is the same with or without. I am pretty much set-up exactly how i worked under XP, yet it worked for me there.

2. That is a good question about the asio4all. I think when i installed everything here this week, I didn't think about WHY. I just remember having asio4all on the last system, but that was before i got the podfarm and just left it on. You are correct, why do i need that now- i am going to uninstall it right now to simplify things.

3. @leigh, both. Originally, i recorded the vocals using the podfarm vocal effect that i made. Technically, it isn't dry in that sense i guess, but i can turn of the podfarm fx and it becomes dry if you know what i mean. So in reality, i am using podfarm as a plugin on a dry vocal.

I have not yet tried to record anything new(since November actually). I am just trying to get everything up first so that when i do record(soon i hope) i will have no surprises or overlooked anything.

Maceman
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:39 pm

One other piece of info. I tried unplugging the ux2 from my usb port. When i replugged it in, i got a BSOD. That never happened before under XP.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:49 pm

tonyoci wrote: Do you have your headphones or speakers plugged in to the Pod Farm device ? Your symptoms are those of using the internal based sound card.
Tony,

To further elaborate..... I have my receiver hooked up to the internal soundcard (HD Audio). Is this not correct? This is how i operated before, ie. I had the receiver hooked up via a 1/8" cable plugged into the back of the soundcard. I was able to hear and use theUX2 because of it going through the computer via USB, and I was able to switch between the podfarm and the soundcard. This is what i am used to, but if it is incorrect, let me know what i should do. My receiver is old(RCA jacks), so i am not sure i could technically plug straight into the back of the UX2 because it looks like it used 1/4" and i am not sure they do rca to 1/4", do they?

If you are going to say that i should be plugged into the UX2 direct, my next question would be, okay but how do i now switch to the internal card for when i am not using the podfarm? I would also wonder why it worked before under XP and not here....just my thoughts. I am no hookup guru as you can see :)

Maceman
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Not really saying you are incorrect it's just not how I do it. Basically I use the UX2 as my soundcard, so all sound goes through there whether it be movies, MP3 or Reaper. I am not familiar with how to do it any other way.

Something else that comes to mind (and consider I don't use the pod farm plug in), after you have recorded your track into Reaper then you have to feed that track as an input to PODFARM. Is there any issues there ? I am sure there is not but at this point everything needs to be looked at right :)
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Gu Djin wrote:My thought is that although the ux2 driver may now work for the hardware, I think there are still some issues with plugins for 64bit win7.
my setup has been working fine
Win 7 Pro 64-bit
Reaper 32-bit (64-bit works fine, but takes up more resources)
Toneport UX2
driver version 3.4.4.0
POD Farm & POD Farm Plugin version 1.11.0
Gearbox version 3.70.0 ( I prefer Gearbox's tuner and it loads quicker to switch between Mic & Instruments inputs.)
NOTE: even though the line 6 drivers are 64-bit, Gearbox, PODFarm and the PODFarm plugin all appear to be 32-bit.

the only anomaly I've seen is a couple of times the Gearbox/PODFarm signal can be heard even though I've closed that app and am working with just the plugin.
I believe I fixed it just by opening the app again and maybe toggling the mute button or something.

I'm using Reaper 32-bit for now because Addictive drums, PODFarm plugin and a couple of other plugins I use are 32-bit.
in order to use the 32-bit plugins reaper 64-bit appears to open an instance of Reaper 32-bit to process those plugins.
in my case, it's better to just use Reaper 32-bit until all of the plugins I use are 64-bit.
Last edited by lucas on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:53 pm

It might sound a silly question, but if you used podfarm for your initial recording with effects, why would you be using the podfarm plug-in on the recorded sound - I think there are other effective ways to modify that. I always associate podfarm and gearbox effects as microphone and ambiance emulations rather than after effects? Just curious!

I have just reread some comments on another forum where it is suggested that a lot of plug-ins are not yet compatable with win7 64 bit. And I seem to remember Lucas's Line 6 thread talk about running plug-ins (fx) in 32bit compatiblilty mode - so it might be worth reading through the information and links that are there.

Edit: I posted this as Lucas posted. But left it up as I wanted to thank Lucas for his efforts in keeping us informed.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 pm

tonyoci wrote: Basically I use the UX2 as my soundcard, so all sound goes through there whether it be movies, MP3 or Reaper.
This how I'm set up as well.
I actually turn off or disable my onboard sound.
tonyoci wrote: Something else that comes to mind (and consider I don't use the pod farm plug in), after you have recorded your track into Reaper then you have to feed that track as an input to PODFARM. Is there any issues there ?
I've been using the PODFarm plugin exclusively and it works well for me.

since Maceman is able to hear guitar tracks from the PODFarm plugin I would think it maybe just something with that track or instance of the plugin.
try deleting and re-inserting the plugin and see.
try making a new track & recording and see.
try using a different preset in the plugin, even it's a guitar or bass preset.
0 x