Troubleshooting Line6 with Windows7

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: someplace else

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by lucas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Last thing, are you running in Administrator mode or Standard User mode?

other than that, the last thing I can suggest is to uninstall all line 6 apps and drivers, unplug your UX2 and start over using the install order I listed above.
do not install Gearbox or anything else unless it's needed.
before re-installing, remove the PODFarm plugin directory from from the Reaper VST options settings, clear Reaper's VST Cache and Rescan directories.
then re-install the line 6 items as I stated above.
0 x

User avatar
maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1795
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Brantford, Ontario - Canada Eh!

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by maceman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:25 pm

** I was/am running in Admin Mode***


FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


YEEEHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW


Geewilakeers. I can't believe how long this took. Thanx so much for your patience Lucas, and everyone else who has helped....

Lucas, funny your last post. I just read it now, and in fact what you said is exactly what i did. I uninstalled everything and re-installed. It was for sure a driver. Something must have gone wrong, but it is all working now!!!!!

I am so happy and can finally relax.

Again thanx man.

Tony, this should be a sticky in Line 6 inho. I mean, some other person will do this i am sure.

Thanx Thanx Thanx!!!!!

Maceman
0 x
_________________
"Wisdom is not so much the 'object' one finds somewhere along the way, rather, it is the 'journey' one takes in the quest for that wisdom"
MacemanMusic <--> Maceman on Bandcamp<-->Maceman on Soundclick<-->PLEASE SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER!!

James Ryce
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1686
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:47 am
Location: Kingston, ON. Canada

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by James Ryce » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Well I'm glad you got it fixed. I was just about to suggest starting from scratch and installing Windows 98 instead :nuts: ... or even better DOS & Windows For Workgroups (I have an unopened copy on diskette sitting on my desk at the office).

Now you have to let us know how fast it is doing things on it compared to the old PC.
0 x
funky country boy.
Website http://www.jamesryce.com
NEW CD "James Ryce ... ALL MY BEST, PLUS 12 OTHER SONGS"
Sales via PayPal http://www.jamesryce.com/Purchase_The_Music.php

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: someplace else

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by lucas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:10 pm

good job, mace! :^:
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force
Posts: 8225
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:20 am
Location: Morgan Hill, CA

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by tonyoci » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Glad you got it sorted. However 3 page meandering threads are not good stickies. If someone wants to summarize the problem and solution we can definitely put that somewhere.
0 x

User avatar
Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6536
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:00 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:38 am

I've read this entire thread and I have no idea what the fix was, so it wouldn't make a very good sticky. As Tony suggests, a clear summary posted in the Line 6 forum might be helpful.

Glad you got it working.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: someplace else

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by lucas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:08 am

Zoetrope wrote:I've read this entire thread and I have no idea what the fix was, so it wouldn't make a very good sticky. As Tony suggests, a clear summary posted in the Line 6 forum might be helpful..
Summary:
- remove all Line 6 drivers and and apps.
- disconnect line 6 device(s)
- re-install only the Line 6 driver needed for your hardware
- re-install the apps (be sure to uncheck any drivers listed)
0 x

User avatar
maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1795
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Brantford, Ontario - Canada Eh!

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by maceman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Yes, That is a good summary. Thanx Lucas.

I agree it was meandering :lol: That is what happens when one is lost!! he hee.

Anyways, Glad to have the help, and very happy to have a fast system that officially works with Windows 7 64 bit with reaper 32bit!!

Cheers All,

Maceman
0 x
_________________
"Wisdom is not so much the 'object' one finds somewhere along the way, rather, it is the 'journey' one takes in the quest for that wisdom"
MacemanMusic <--> Maceman on Bandcamp<-->Maceman on Soundclick<-->PLEASE SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER!!

User avatar
maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1795
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Brantford, Ontario - Canada Eh!

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by maceman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:46 pm

Actually, one last thing to add to Lucas' list above..... In my case(and i believe his), we both used the window 7 beta driver 3.4.4.0

If you go through the proper steps that line 6 suggests, that is, if you install monkey and then install the drivers that monkey suggests, you will get a newer driver 4.something.....
That particular driver did not work for me. I am not sure if it would not work for others, but it did not work for me. So what i did was ran the podfarm uninstaller and only selected the driver to be uninstalled. I left the rest intact (ie. podfarm 1.11). Then i navigated to the line 6 site and looked up the windows 7 beta drivers and purposely scrolled down to an older 3.4.4.0 driver and installed that. I picked that driver because Lucas was/is using it and it was/is working for him.
If someone gets the newer driver working, i'd like to know, but for now I am not touching squat!

Cheers,
Maceman
0 x
_________________
"Wisdom is not so much the 'object' one finds somewhere along the way, rather, it is the 'journey' one takes in the quest for that wisdom"
MacemanMusic <--> Maceman on Bandcamp<-->Maceman on Soundclick<-->PLEASE SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER!!

User avatar
Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1648
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:56 am
Location: Preston England
Contact:

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by Polly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:22 pm

maceman wrote: YEEEHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW
Thank God :shock: this thread was exhausting me. I broke down and wept when we got a happy ending.

Well done Zoomers. :applause: :guitar: :applause: :clap: :applause:
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: someplace else

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by lucas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:09 pm

New Summary:
=================
Tips for installing Line 6 hardware & Apps or if you have trouble with Line 6 Apps or the plugin in Win 7 Pro 64-bit (and probably 32-bit)

1) only use the Line 6 ASIO driver. remove others unless you need them
if that doesn't help here is my install order for reference:

install order:
--------------
- line 6 Drivers v3.4.4.0
- - -> installed drivers for Toneport UX2/UX1 ONLY!
- Gearbox v3.70
- - -> installed Gearbox ONLY - no drivers, no plugins, no Monkey
- - -> told Win 7 that the program installed correctly
- PODFarm v1.11.0
- - -> POD Farm VST & ToneDirect only - no RTAS, no Monkey, no drivers
- - -> told Win 7 that the program installed correctly
- Monkey v1.32
- - -> ran Monkey immediately after install - logged in and authorized PC to use POD Farm plugin. do not let Monkey upgrade drivers or anything else!
- Reaper x64 v.3.31
- - -> set audio device to use Toneport UX2 ASIO
- - -> set ASIO buffer default to 128 and slider to smallest to get rid of latency using the plugin.
- - -> check the box next to Enable Inputs and set 'first' to Send 1 and 'last' to Send 4
- - -> under the Output Range section, set 'first' Output 1 and 'last' to Output 2
- - -> click on the ASIO Configuration button and set ASIO buffer default to 128 and slider to smallest to get rid of latency using the plugin during recording.
- Reaper x32 v.3.31
- - -> set audio device to use Toneport UX2 ASIO
- - -> set audio device to use Toneport UX2 ASIO
- - -> set ASIO buffer default to 128 and slider to smallest to get rid of latency using the plugin.
- - -> check the box next to Enable Inputs and set 'first' to Send 1 and 'last' to Send 4
- - -> under the Output Range section, set 'first' Output 1 and 'last' to Output 2
- - -> click on the ASIO Configuration button and set ASIO buffer default to 128 and slider to smallest to get rid of latency using the plugin during recording.
0 x

User avatar
Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6536
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:00 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Not to be snarky but is this colossally complex because it's a 64bit machine or because it's Reaper. I didn't have any issues using Pod Farm (stand alone or VST) with Mixcraft. I think Tony simplified what I was doing by letting me know I didn't need to have the stand alone running when using the VST because you can change settings with the Line 6 Audio-Midi devices program (it's under Line6/tools). But it worked either way.

Also, I have ASIO4ALL on my system for when I switch to my built in sound card from the UX2, the former being hooked up to speakers, the latter to headphones.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: someplace else

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by lucas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Zoetrope wrote:Not to be snarky but is this colossally complex because it's a 64bit machine or because it's Reaper.
it's your forum, be snarky if you want, just be nice about it. :)
but no, it's only looks complex because everything is spelled out or because it's troubleshooting.
I've had no real problems with the Win 7 Pro 64-bit Reaper Line 6 setup myself.
The Reaper setup takes only takes a moment to do.
The Line 6 install takes 5-10 minutes because you have use Monkey to go online and activate and assign the plugin to your hardware.
the process is basically:
- install only what you need
- use known working drivers and apps
- don't update unless you need to.

It's true that because it's Win 7 you have be careful not to overwrite drivers with the ones in the apps, but that'll change soon enough.
It's more an issue with Line 6 apps not being fully up to date than Win 7, though.

as far as using ASIO4all instead of Line 6's ASIO, it's just a matter of eliminating ASIO4all as possible cause of problems.
This doesn't mean you cannot run it in place of Line 6's ASIO.
I don't use my onboard sound at all, I just use my UX2 so I cannot say how well or if that setup would work.
If I want to hook up my PC speakers, I would split my headphone out and send one of the splits to them.

as far as complex goes, running 2 ASIO drivers and 2 different soundcards at the same time is actually a more complex setup and more likely to have issues.

sorry, what was your question again?
LOL :)
0 x

User avatar
Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6536
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:00 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:17 am

lucas wrote:as far as complex goes, running 2 ASIO drivers and 2 different soundcards at the same time is actually a more complex setup and more likely to have issues.
Funny, I'd never even contemplated using the UX2 as my only sound card. My computer is on pretty much all the time, so it would seem odd to have the UX2 on all the time and the VU's on all the time. Also, since the UX2 has no midi in, I use the soundcard for midi in from the microKorg. I know everyone else uses USB ports for this now, but that's just one more pricey cable and one less open USB port.

But yes, I suppose I've proven your point; the more detailed the explanation the more complex it sounds. :D
0 x

User avatar
maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1795
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Brantford, Ontario - Canada Eh!

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by maceman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:17 am

Zoe, like you...I too had asio4all running. It was because i needed it on my XP system before I bought the UX2. To be honest, I really didn't understand that the UX2's asio is better or can be used in place of the other, so just without thinking I installed asio4all on this system. Basically, I was trying to mirror my exact old system without thinking.
So when Tony asked the question of why I had it, I started thinking :roll:

I personally don't think the overall transition was too bad. I have TONS of stuff that I had to move over,so by the time I got to the music stuff, anything could have gone wrong by then. If I had to do it again it would be a snap I believe, especially with Lucas' summary above. I don't think this was really a reaper issue, but who knows for sure. Actually, I found reaper to be quite friendly in solving half my issues. All the plugins I was missing for each project reaper told me were missing, so it was a nice reminder to install certain things along the way. Everyone will have a different experience to be sure, just because of a different set-up, but I think it was a good exercise (i say with new grey hairs added :))

Polly, are you up and running yet??
Maceman
0 x
_________________
"Wisdom is not so much the 'object' one finds somewhere along the way, rather, it is the 'journey' one takes in the quest for that wisdom"
MacemanMusic <--> Maceman on Bandcamp<-->Maceman on Soundclick<-->PLEASE SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER!!

User avatar
Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1648
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:56 am
Location: Preston England
Contact:

Re: New System is GREAT but......

Post by Polly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:49 pm

maceman wrote:If I had to do it again it would be a snap I believe,
That's the trouble with any DIY task, PCs included. If you had to do it again tomorrow it would be a snap. But you won't have to do it again for 2 - 4 years, and then you'll have forgotten. I hate swapping PCs.
maceman wrote: Polly, are you up and running yet??
I'm sorted now. I've given up on Windows 7 and my new recording laptop. I only started the venture as my old PC stopped working, and now, it works again. At least till it doesn't. The new Mixcraft 5 seems to be a bonus but I just don't know really. I'll play it by ear. I had four hours to record last Saturday, spent 3 hours messing around with softeware, settings etc (you know the score) then just - did some recording on my old system. One of those occasions when you've got the time and opportunity, but you're not in the mood. :roll: But I laid some bass tracks down. Had a play with some VSTs. Line 6 KB 37 is awesome with Windows XP, and such fun with Mixcraft 5's bag of tricks.

I'll give my laptop to my son at some point I guess. I've got this weekend free, I shall do a bit of recording, 4 days at work then two weeks off work and I plan to 'go for it'. I aim to do a new CD. 10 or so tracks lined up. When they're ready enough I'll post 'em for critique and advice.

I'm pleased with my ideas right now. Just gotta turn 'em into tracks! :D

Roll on, stroll on, rock on.
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: someplace else

Re: Troubleshooting Line6 with Windows7

Post by lucas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Polly wrote:I'm sorted now. I've given up on Windows 7 and my new recording laptop.
did you give up on Reaper as well?
0 x

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest