Toneport Headphone Volume

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Toneport Headphone Volume

Post by criddlerus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:15 am

Anyone else find the headphone volume lacking on the Toneport? I have some AKG K240 headphones which I highly recommend ($99) to anyone trying to mix on headphones. However, when I use those, I always have the headphone output volume on the toneport at max.

I happen to have a headphone distribution amp that I used back when I recorded bands a lot. I dusted that off and that gives me plenty of headroom now.

Anyone else find the Toneport headphone volume pretty feeble?

Dave
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Re: Toneport Headphone Volume

Post by tonyoci » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:36 am

No

:)

Honestly no, It's really loud at around 60%, higher than that is deafening. Using Sony M80 or something like that headphones.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:42 am

Wth my 240's, I get plenty of output before I reach half way on my UX2.
My 240's are the older, higher Ohm version, so the output in the them is lower at the same level than my AKG 271s or my Sennheisers.
I usually only need it up 1/4 with those.
is your Toneport weak with other headphones?
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:34 am

Yes, it is kind of weak with most headphones but particularly weak with those because they require more juice to push them. On my Realistics it is louder but not always loud enough.

Also, when I am tracking in Reaper I have to turn down my master volume about half way so that the pre-recorded tracks don't overwhelm the new guitar I am laying down. I have the monitor volume in Podfarm set at it's max but that doesn't leave me any headroom. I always want the Podfarm to be louder than it is.

I was wondering if it might be related to with Windows Audio Mixer somehow. Something ain't right.

Thanks Guys!
Dave
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:40 am

I use my ux2 solely as a soundcard and I never find I have to have the volume set at more than just over half way up to give plenty of volume, on a variety of headphones and mp3 ears. And the levels on the pc and player I'm using are usually set at around half settings also.

Anything above that causes distortion on my Senneiser headphones, which is the set I'm using for final mix checking.
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:54 am

Good info guys! I just assumed the UX2 had a weak amplifier. I will have to explore a little deeper into what is going on. On other headphones I have it on 8 and on the AKG's I have it on 10.

And no, I am not deaf if that is the next question. :roll:
0 x

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:05 pm

I just reread your post about reaper, and it reminded me that I had similar problems when I first started using the ux2, but eventually found a happy compromise after twiddling with the various levels on gearbox and then later with podfarm.

Unfortunately it was all done by trial and error and I kept no records of what I did. But if you think it will be of use I go back and see if I can identify them, though with what success I'm not sure.
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Don't spend too much time on it, but if you see something that jumps out at you let me know. I will try to look at it myself and see if I can find the magic knob (there I go again Tony) that will fix this.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:57 pm

I don't think I've ever turned the volume up more then a third of the way. Perhaps halfway? Plenty loud.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:56 pm

criddlerus wrote:Yes, it is kind of weak with most headphones but particularly weak with those because they require more juice to push them.
I was wondering if it might be related to with Windows Audio Mixer somehow.
click the little speaker icon in the lower right corner of the task bar and see where the slider is.
mine is set set to 100%
criddlerus wrote:Also, when I am tracking in Reaper I have to turn down my master volume about half way so that the pre-recorded tracks don't overwhelm the new guitar I am laying down. I have the monitor volume in Podfarm set at it's max but that doesn't leave me any headroom. I always want the Podfarm to be louder than it is.
That seems odd to me, I almost never touch the Master except to adjust FX.
The Input & Output settings in PODFarm & the plugin are still at the default setting. they've always been fine right out of the box everytime I've installed them.
Gearbox as well.
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:24 pm

I just checked. With my AKG K240's:
5 is quiet
8 is normal listening
10 is rockin out

With my Realistic cheapos:
3 is quiet
6 is normal
8 rockin out
10 hurts my ears

So I guess really the only issue is with my AKG's. My output in Windows is maxes as are all of the outputs in PodFarm: the Master volume at the top and the volume in the middle by the pan knob.

On bass sounds though, I definitely think it could be louder. I always have the amp master volume at 10 on all amps and I feel like I need more. There should be some headroom, shouldn't there?

I turn my master volume down in Reaper so I can hear the guitar over the mix. I definitely have to do that from time to time. Especially as the mix is filled up.

So maybe my AKG's are just particularly quiet.

Thanks folks,
Dave
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:04 pm

I think overall the bass sounds are quiet as well, hard to get the volume up on them.
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:26 am

Ok, thanks guys. It was good for me to just do a reality check.

I used to use a Presonus Firepod and it had all kinds of overhead in the headphone volume so I could crank that way up if I had a quiet sound I needed to monitor. I think that is why I notice so much.

I think I am going to just run out of the headphone out into my headphone distribution amp so I can have more control. So, like when I am playing bass, I can take the Reaper volume way down to -20 to match the -20 that is coming out of my Toneport bass sound. Then, with the extra overhead of the headphone amp I can crank the volume back up to 0db.

Thanks guys. I guess this was a bit of a wild goose chase.

The other thing I found in this was my old "springy" headphone extender cable. Those things are great. Now I can move around my basement studio without having the headphones yanked off my head. :)

Dave
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39 am

criddlerus wrote:Anyone else find the headphone volume lacking on the Toneport? I have some AKG K240 headphones which I highly recommend ($99) to anyone trying to mix on headphones. However, when I use those, I always have the headphone output volume on the toneport at max.

I happen to have a headphone distribution amp that I used back when I recorded bands a lot. I dusted that off and that gives me plenty of headroom now.

Anyone else find the Toneport headphone volume pretty feeble?

Dave
I know this is a fairly old post, but my recently purchased Pod Studio UX2 give plenty of headphone volume (I use AKG 240s too). In fact, I have to turn it down just a tad.

:D JB
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp