S/PDIF Question!

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

S/PDIF Question!

Post by maceman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:21 am

me again :roll:

For the UX2 users... does anyone use their spdif? I have what looks like a squarish spdif port on my soundcard and then this RCA looking port on the UX2. Is this worth getting a cable for, and if so, are there such things as a cable with different ends as i've described? I can't seem to find one. Will this better my sound? Thanx,

Maceman
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: S/PDIF Question!

Post by criddlerus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 am

I used to use the RCA kind to hook my old Event Gina card up to my DBX compressor. It allowed me to use the DBX as 2 more inputs, bringing me up to 4 inputs at the time. It basically bypasses the converters in the UX2 and takes you straight in digitally. If you have something else with really good converters in it, I guess I could see using that.
0 x

maceman
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by maceman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanx Dave.

Ok, I am not sure i know enough about this to even bother.

I have no converters outside of the UX2. I just have a good(i think) HD Audio Card, but I am not even sure what kind. It came with my mobo. It sounds really good as is to be honest- way better than the ac'97 i had last. I just thought going direct may improve even more.

Cheers,
Maceman
0 x

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:54 pm

I really doubt you would have use for them. You are using the converters in your Toneport to get the analog signal to digital. You would really only use S/PDIF if you wanted to route to some other digital hardware device (reverb, compressor) you might have. Doesn't sounds like you have any with S/PDIF in and out. I wouldn't worry too much about it. 8)

Dave
0 x