Walk Me Through the Best Way

Discuss Line 6 gear and software, including Toneport, Pod, Gearbox.
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Walk Me Through the Best Way

Post by voclizr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:59 am

Beings that I'm the proud owner of a Pod Studio UX2, I expect I'll be frequenting this part of the board more often. I have my Windows 7 Laptop set up and ready. I will be installing the Pod Studio later today. Could one of you more experienced dudes give me a step by step walk through because I anticipate a bit of rough going. Do I understand that if I download and run the monkey, he will do it all for me? Also, I have the Win 7 drivers downloaded. My system is 64 bit.

Thanks!

:D JB
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Walk Me Through the Best Way

Post by lucas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:47 am

before you do anything, I suggest you set up a user and password with Line 6
you will need it when you run the Monkey and to register the unit with them
here is my install order:
--------------
NOTE: whenever possible unchecked all devices except the UX2

- Line 6 Drivers (I'm still using v3.4.4.0)
- Gearbox (I'm using v3.70)
- - -> installed Gearbox ONLY - no drivers, no plugins, no Monkey
- - -> told Win 7 that the program installed correctly
- PODFarm (I'm using v1.11.0)
NOTE: skip the VST install & ignore any following references to the plugin if you don't have a license for it or plan to buy one.
- - -> POD Farm VST & ToneDirect only - no RTAS, no Monkey, no drivers
- - -> told Win 7 that the program installed correctly
- Monkey (I'm still using v1.32)
- - -> ran Monkey immediately after install - logged in and authorized PC to use POD Farm plugin.

- Reaper x64 & 32-bit (substitute your DAW for Reaper)
- - -> set audio device to use Toneport UX2 ASIO
- - -> set ASIO buffer default to 128 and slider to smallest to get rid of latency using the plugin.

- VSTs
- - -> Addictive Drums - installed from CD then immediately installed latest update before opening or authorizing.
- - -> installed Kjaerhus Classic VSTs
- - -> remaining VSTs
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:44 am

Thanks so much, Lucas. :D
One thing I forgot to point out is that I'm not setting this up from a (electric) guitarist's viewpoint, but I'm hoping I can use some of the Pod Farm effects for vocals. Do you think it would be worth my while to install & use Ableton Live Lite and Reason Adapted? Do they offer anything that I can make use of?
Thanks again, my friend!

:D :D jb
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Never come across Reason Adapted, but I found the way Ambleton live lite worked too differently for me to be bothered with it. The other thing I found was it didn't work to well with my laptop. However it wasn't all bad news, I did use Ambleton to create some decent loops and tracks, though nothing that I couldn't achieve with Sonar, or Sony.

I don't know if you get the drums package Instant drummer, but I did find that quite a useful piece of software.

As a mic package I think its not too bad at all, my only quibble is that the phantom power is either on or off - meaning it is less straightforward to use a dynamic and a condeser mic in tandem.
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Im just about ready to give up. Drivers installed. Connected. Nothing! No sound. VUs don't move.
Useless!
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Stop what your doing close it all down and get a drink and think about something else for a while.

When you get back to it - reboot your pc - then plug in your pod. First thing - do the lights come on. If so, then gizmo is working therefor it's down to the software or drivers, or possibly the pc configuration.

It is possible that the pc soundcard could be taking priority over the ux2 device. Not using win 7 - I can't advise, but there must be some way to change that quite easily.

If you plug in a head set into the ux2 and you hear the music through the headphones then that bit (the soundcard) works fine too.

You say you've installed the software and drivers as Lucas suggested then start the podfarm and then start up your DAW. I don't know your DAW, but you may have to tell it to use the ux2 and you may have to point the tracks to input from the DAW.

You will also have to choose on the ux2, which inputs channels to use.

If none of that works I would suggest reinstalling the software and drivers again. I remember I had to do that with mine.

Also try using a different usb input and follow any instruction.

Let us know how you get on - the bit of kit is darn fine - but it seems in needs a little nurturing on certain systems.
0 x
1964 Guild Starfire 5, MiM Fender Telecaster, MiM Stratocaster, K Yairi and other various acoustic guitars and music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and Dean acoustic bass - And M-Audio Keyboards - DAW LogicPro X

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:54 pm

OK. A BIT of SUCCESS. I figured out how to get the mic to work in the POD FARM. Middle of the first screen next to the word MUTE, there's a dropdown menu. When I choose Mic 1 I get a mic signal and can choose what kind of sound I want, NOW THE BIG QUESTION! HOW DO I GET IT INTO A RECORDING PROGRAM? HOW DO I GET THE POD FARM PLUG IN?

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:01 pm

OK. I saw something in the monkey about the plugin not being available without Pod Farm 2. It comes free with my interface, so I downloaded PF2 and the mic input opened in Samplitude and Mixcraft. Now all I have to learn is how to manipulate the Pod Farm better. I can't seem to record the voice with the effect. It monitors the effect, but won't record it. The recording is dry.

At least I'm getting somewhere after spending all day on it!

EDIT-Is it possible that it is a necessity to have the Pod Farm software OPEN at the same time as the recording ap? I was thinking that I could just reach everything from within the recording program. After I DLed PF2 that was the first I actually went in and opened PF at the same time. Maybe that's what I was doing wrong all along. But I still need to know how to record the PF effect as per above. Thanks guys!
:D

JB
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:09 am

Getting much better results every day I play around with this. There's a learning curve to overcome but I'm getting there. I downloaded the Gear Box tonight and found there are some vocal presets there too. My fav setting so far is Pod Farm2 90s Alternative with just a bit of Brite Room verb. Wondering what the function of the "Output" knob is. On my unit, it does nothing! :?

Hoping to record with this soon. Thanks for your help.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Gu Djin
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Gu Djin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:35 am

Unless you use the output connectors on the back you will never need to use it.
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:44 am

The Gearbox interface (UI) is a bit more user friendly to me.
I mostly use because I like the tuner in it better than the PODFarm tuner.

The Gearbox presets show up in PODfarm as well, at least they do in mine.
Gearbox may need to be installed first for that to happen and it would seem you didn't install it until after.

The 'Output' knob controls the volume or level going to the monitors, powered speakers or whatever.
This knob does nothing if nothing is connected to the 'Analog Outs' on the back.

Unless you have the PODFarm plugin running in your DAW, you must have either Gearbox or PODfarm running to get any FX or signal processing available from those apps.
without them, the signal appears to still pass thru, but it's very low.

The plugin is $50 for use with the UX2.
This means you will always need the UX2 the plugin is registered for connected to the PC in order to use the plugin.
There are ways to record dry and add or change the PODFarm or Gearbox FX later, but the plugin is very convenient.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:49 pm

L;
Thanks for the info. ;)
I think the plugin is in PF2, which came as a free upgrade, but in testing it, it seems as if I can run the Pod Studio through my Samplitude either way with fairly good input volume. That is to say, I can op to either use the PS (or GB) or not use it in my DAW. I just don't get the benefit of the effects if I don't run it.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Other Tony
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Other Tony » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Gu Djin wrote:Unless you use the output connectors on the back you will never need to use it.
Thanks for this...I thought mine was broken too....I thought it was to boost the output of the signal from the guitar in or mic in!...I searched all over the net and couldn't find anyone saying it was for the analougue out's output level :evil:

However, that means there's no way to boost the guitar signal coming in?....The mic gain knobs only put gain on the mic inputs.....So how do I boost the signal from the guitar inputs? :?
0 x
Please be 100% honest when reviewing my songs and don't worry about offending me!

My Songs on Youtube

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:15 pm

There's usually a knob or slider on the guitar to turn it up........ :P
Seriously, if you need to hear more guitar, or cowbell for that matter, just turn up yer phones. It's on the interface. And if yer not getting enough signal in the DAW, naturally you would up the volume slider there as well as the (virtual) volume knob(s) in the GB or PF software.
Just don't clip. Unless you're a barber or a gardener. Then it's OK. :look:

Oh, and it's best to record in mono. Unless you have a stereo effect.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Other Tony
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Other Tony » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:38 pm

Sungodv wrote:There's usually a knob or slider on the guitar to turn it up........ :P
Seriously, if you need to hear more guitar, or cowbell for that matter, just turn up yer phones. It's on the interface. And if yer not getting enough signal in the DAW, naturally you would up the volume slider there as well as the (virtual) volume knob(s) in the GB or PF software.
Just don't clip. Unless you're a barber or a gardener. Then it's OK. :look:

Oh, and it's best to record in mono. Unless you have a stereo effect.
I knew someone would say there's a volume knob on the guitar and you can turn that up and I knew it would be you Steve :evil: :lol:

It was the signal in the daw I was worried about, I thought adding loads of gain to the track with the track fader was a bad thing and the fader should be as close to Zero as possible?....Actually just tried moving the track fader +10db does not improve the signal just the output volume :? ...So I guess that means I can only improve the signal volume once I've finished recording the track?....bear with me I'm new to this stuff :oops:

With the guitar vol pot at 10 and the track fader at 0db I get a signal (playing chords) that bounces between -26 and -18 max.....Is that an OK level to mix with?........Bit weird I thought every interface had input or output gain knobs :? (Which is why I thought the output knob on the UX2 was for just that)
0 x
Please be 100% honest when reviewing my songs and don't worry about offending me!

My Songs on Youtube

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:52 am

Tony Jack wrote:So how do I boost the signal from the guitar inputs?
hopefully you've checked this already, but make sure you're plugged into the 'NORMAL' input jack and not the 'PAD' one.
The PAD input is for high output instruments.
otherwise, check the gain stages in the signal path for preset you're using in Gearbox or POD Farm.
there might be something turned down somewhere.
or you just might need to turn the volume up on the amp being used for the preset. :D
Tony Jack wrote:With the guitar vol pot at 10 and the track fader at 0db I get a signal (playing chords) that bounces between -26 and -18 max.....Is that an OK level to mix with?
is that a dry signal or after you run it through gearbox or POD Farm?
I generally use the POD Farm plugin and when I turned it off just now, the dry unprocessed signal in my DAW (Reaper) was between -24 & -18.
when I turn the plugin on, the processed signal bounces between -12 & -6
0 x

Other Tony
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Other Tony » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks for helping Lucas, I was using the Normal line in but that's a bit disappionting cause sometimes I record two guitars at once...So is the PAD input no good for a electric guitar?.....Is it just for bass or something?

Yeah I wasn't using the POD Farm plugin just using the UX2 as an interface....So without PF2 I get a low signal and there's nothing I can do?....again disappointing :lol:

I noticed that quite a few of the PF2 presets caused quite a loud feedback/humming sorta noise without even having the electric plugged in just a preset loaded on the track.....I know there is a gate but I never really get much success with gates they seem to block too little or block too much :?
0 x

My Songs on Youtube